Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > Some Girls Bite--February Group Read--SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Ok to post spoilers here.

Please remember to uncheck the "Add to my Update Feed" option before submitting your post.

Here is the description of the book from GoodReads:

"Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn't exactly glamorous, but it was Merit's. She was doing fine until a rogue vampire attacked her. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker and this one decided the best way to save her life was to make her the walking undead.

"Turns out her savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now she's traded sweating over her thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan "Lord o' the Manor" Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four-hundred- year-old vampire, he has centuries' worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects her gratitude and servitude. But an inconvenient sunlight allergy and Ethan's attitude are the least of her concerns. Someone's still out to get her. Her initiation into Chicago's nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war and there will be blood."

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I read this last summer and was pleasantly surprised. Extremely funny dialogue, dark plot, decent characters and good world building. I went on to read the second book in the series soon after reading the first and gave them both 4 stars. I plan to read the third book soon. I can't wait to see what others think! It may be hard for me to remember which details are from which book so I will be careful!

message 3: by new_user (last edited Jan 27, 2011 09:42AM) (new)

new_user I really liked the dialogue, writing style, and relationships too. Great stuff. :) She's also creative with the whole fraternity houses for vamps, LOL. And she knows Chicago!

message 4: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 188 comments I loved the Book. I own the 2nd and 3rd but havent gotten around to reading it. the only thing that really bugged me was her best friend and her best friends boyfriend they sickeeen meeee! :)

message 5: by new_user (new)

new_user :o Sicken you? I thought he was hot. Mallory is lucky, LOL.

message 6: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 188 comments new_user wrote: ":o Sicken you? I thought he was hot. Mallory is lucky, LOL."

lol its their personalities they annoy me I should say.

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'm with new user...hot and lucky ;)

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Drake (elizabethdrake) I am continuing the series and am still annoyed by the fact that no one says Merit's first name. As we continue to meet family members and people from Merit's past, you would think that ONE of them would refuse to call her by her last name.

message 9: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments you will find out her name in the third book. I like Merit a lot better than her real name though.

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments I agree with you guys about the differentness of the story. There was so much about this one to like. I also like she kept arguing about her new life.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Darcy...I liked that she was resistant, too. I've read a few books where I thought that it was annoying that the main character turned vamp was too whiny about it and I've read a few books where the character didn't even blink an eye at the sudden change, so for me, this was just right.

message 12: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments Melissa wrote: "I've read a few books where the character didn't even blink an eye at the sudden change, so for me, this was just right."

I hate it when that happens and it seems like lately that is the case.

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 81 comments I thought she was directing her anger at being changed in the wrong direction.

Ethan changed her - but didn't put her in that position in the first place. She should have been angry at the Vamp that attacked her in the first place - not Ethan for changing her (although I'm sure there's more to that - too much of a co-incidence that he was in the area).

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) If part of you feels like you should have been left to die instead of being changed, I could see where you might resent the person who didn't give you a choice, even if that person thought they were doing the right thing.

message 15: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments I think that Merritt gets that, but it is hard to be pissed at a faceless person, while Ethan is right there in her face and a good target for her anger.

message 16: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments if I were Merit I would've yelled at Ethan too. He helped, yes. She needed to direct her anger somewhere and according to her he changed her without even taking her to a hosiptal or something, but of course we know he couldn't, so he made the decision for her. But I think anyone could of just got mad at him b/c know she doesn't have her mortal life anymore. She's upset and she needed time ti figure everything out.

message 17: by Kathyjacks (new)

Kathyjacks Elizabeth wrote: "I am continuing the series and am still annoyed by the fact that no one says Merit's first name. As we continue to meet family members and people from Merit's past, you would think that ONE of the..."

Yep the name definitely gets said in the 3rd book. Once I read the first one in 1 day I couldn't stop. I read all 3 in 3 days and now I'm dying for the fourth one. I think this series is in my top 3 of all time.

message 18: by Larissa (new)

Larissa (rissareadsromance) | 2 comments I really enjoyed the book. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series. I agree with the other readers who liked her response to being changed. I'm excited to see how her relationship with Ethan and Morgan develops.

message 19: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 188 comments I felt that at first Merits response to being changed was understandble because she didnt understand. As the book progresses and she grows and starts to understand I find her out burst kind of childish.Over all I love her as a character and I also love Ethan. I also think its funny that (view spoiler)

message 20: by Alice (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 87 comments I'll definately continue this series. Excellent 1st book of series. I like her rx to being turned & her
coming to understand her new reality. It was a fun book & since I'm in Chicago it was dbl fun.

message 21: by new_user (new)

new_user She really got Chicago right. :)

message 22: by Galla (new)

Galla | 32 comments Just finished this tonight and really liked it (four stars from me). I liked the cast of characters, I liked the author's use of Chicago as a setting, and I liked the dashes of humor.

While I'm not a huge fan of love triangles in general, this Morgan/Ethan set-up is actually working for me. Despite the fact that Morgan was an ass to Merit in the club, he had the guts to muster up a decent apology, and his nervous voicemail messages were awfully funny. I'm guessing the author's headed for a Merit/Ethan pairing in the long term, but Morgan's no slouch. It's interesting that he could communicate with Merit telepathically; I suppose we'll get more of an explanation for that down the road.

I'll definitely read more in this series. While it doesn't exactly blow my mind or reinvent the vampire mythology wheel, it's a lot of fun, and there's a good deal to be said for that.

Plus, I have to keep reading to see if Merit can stick it to her father somehow. The guy has it coming, lol.

message 23: by new_user (last edited Feb 11, 2011 01:17AM) (new)

new_user LOL! He's a jerk, right?

I did think her vampires were pretty creative though with the fraternities, LOL.

message 24: by Alice (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 87 comments Loved the Morgan/Club/Vm too, really cute. The triangle works for me too but I think in the end we'll find out that Morgan was put up to no good by his house.

message 25: by carol. (new)

carol. I thought I'd put down a divergent view, since I don't really see anyone else expressing it. I have to say that I wasn't that impressed, although that could be because I don't read/enjoy chick-lit. Really felt like the story was 'chick-lit meets urban fantasy,' and had an emphasis on clothes and 'boys' that was off-putting. The writing style is breezy and conversational, which doesn't work well with trying to build fear/terror or uncertainty in the world of vampires. I did enjoy the relationship with Mallory. Thought Merit's character showed promise at first.

message 26: by new_user (new)

new_user I know what you're saying, Carol. I don't like chick-lit, but I did like the humor and emphasis on relationships since so much UF seems to have halfbaked -putting it nicely- relationships. Are you going to read the second? You might like that one better since Merit evolves from a Chicago girl to more of a warrior. Serious business. ;)

message 27: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 25 comments I've read this and loved it. I'm reading the second at the mo and have the third ready to go, but am low on reading time as my 11 week old niece is staying. This was my first UF of the year and it was an awesome one. I'm definitely a Morgan girl though!

message 28: by Kate (new)

Kate (katesbooknook) I've read the entire series, with the exception of Hard Bitten. So far, loved every installment! Here's an excerpt from my review:

Chloe Neill has created an amazing female heroine! With determination, intelligence and even a little sass, Merit’s growth as a new vampire is developed in such a way that readers are able to identify with her trials. We are lead to share her fears, feel her frustrations, and even tense with the notion of her anger. Merit’s got moxie* and she's determined to do whatever it takes survive without loosing her “self” in the process.

In all honesty, I didn't get the "chick-lit" feel as some others have. But then again, I'm not a bit Chick-Lit reader so may not be educated enough to make an honest comparison.

message 29: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 25 comments Kate aka YzhaBella's BookShelf wrote: "In all honesty, I didn't get the "chick-lit" feel as some others have. But then again, I'm not a bit Chick-Lit reader so may not be educated enough to make an honest comparison."

I didn't get the chick-lit feel either, and while I do occasionally read chick lit I don't really read the darker UF books so maybe that's why.

message 30: by Leona (new)

Leona | 4 comments I don't read chick lit but I've read what I consider to be dark UF. I don't consider the CV series to be dark UF, but I find myself enjoying it just as much or more as some "darker" offerings in UF. I think Merit's a really good heroine, the storylines are engaging (relationship and nonrelationship), and I think chloe's take on vampires/mages/shifters/etc is very interesting so far. Looking forward to Hard Bitten and Drink Deep.

message 31: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 25 comments Just reread my last post which didn't make much sense. I think the CV series is pretty standard UF, not light enough for chick-lit but not dark enough for dark UF. It's sorta in the middle.

message 32: by new_user (new)

new_user And when I say relationships, I mean romantic and non-romantic. UF heroines usually seem to live in a vacuum and of course, never have any female friends.

message 33: by Leona (new)

Leona | 4 comments new_user wrote: "And when I say relationships, I mean romantic and non-romantic. UF heroines usually seem to live in a vacuum and of course, never have any female friends."

Agreed. I'm definitely a Merit/Ethan shipper, but I'm VERY glad for the Merit/Mallory friendship.

message 34: by carol. (new)

carol. I beg to differ about it being "standard UF." Maybe its more typical of the paranormal romance sub section. I called it similar to chick-lit because it talks a great deal about what everyone is wearing, and what they feel about this that and the other, particularly guys, and, you know, what everyone is wearing, even if it used to be Chucks. The focus is on the narrator's interaction with the people around her, including family and friends (Mallory) as much as the guys. I also find the tone more suitable to chick lit, the snarky, clever remarks not really suiting the seriousness of it all.
In the CV series, the supernatural world is fairly underdeveloped. Vamps are just people who have specific dietary needs, are super fast and have a sun allergy. Oh, and they are organized into fraternity type houses. There isn't any particularly new or interesting take on vamp culture, and except for Celine, the vamps aren't really particularly intimidating, especially when a brand-new Merit holds her own against them. In fact, I have trouble understanding what hold them all together in their house, since they watch tv, walk in the garden, shop Armani and go to clubs like other (presumably rich) people.

message 35: by Leona (last edited Feb 21, 2011 06:20PM) (new)

Leona | 4 comments I disagree about the supernatural world being underdeveloped. The author goes into a good deal of detail about how the different groups arrange themselves (the house system, rogues; shifter groups; how the city deals with them all secretly through the ombudsman) as well as their relationship to magic and she even delves into vamp biology more than I've seen some other authors do.

As for the vamps, I don't particularly need them or any other supe to be "intimidating." To me, if you're talking about sentient beings then certain behaviors are universal whether the creature is a vampire/human/shifter/fae/etc. The intimidating darker aspects of humanity don't need to be attributed to a certain subgroup for me to find the UF believable. Having said that, there are definitely indications that vamps in the CV universe are "predators". I won't go into details b/c it would be spoilery for later books. What I like is that Neill is also willing to delve into the fact that as a group, they're also very vulnerable to humans.

also, what would be considered "standard UF"?

message 36: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. | 48 comments So I finally got around to this one and ended up reading it in one day. I loved this book! I really loved Merit's character. I thought she had just the right amount of acceptance vs anger over her change, it was much more realistic than many series I've read. I really enjoyed the banter with Mallory and the rest of her friends. I already have the second one and can't wait to start it.

I think I want Merit and Ethan to be together, but he obviously doesn't understand what she needs right now, he has a lot to learn before they can have a real relationship. So in the meantime, I think this thing with Morgan will be fun to read about.

Also, I did really like the world Neill created. It isn't too complicated and not an entirely new idea, but it was done really well. Any series needs good world building no matter what the author has going on, and I thought she did a great job with this one.

message 37: by Alice (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 87 comments Just finished reading it again, and liked it even more. Although I don't think it will be an addiction. I'll go on to #2 after feeding 2 of my addictions with new releases. This Side of the Grave(Night Huntress)& Pale Demon (Rachel Morgan)

message 38: by Kimmarie (new)

Kimmarie (kimmarie211) | 6 comments I just finished and starting on the second one now,

I am enjoying it - It was an enjoyable read - I loved having some new vocabulary words (had to look up like 4 on my nook) I like Ethan and Morgan.

Love Mallory's and Merit's relationship
Catcher and Mallory's annoys me a bit.

the one thing that really did get under my skin is the way the author constantly used the word "boy" in reference to Ethan, Catcher, Morgan, etc... It felt very juvenile for a 27 year old vampire to be using.

message 39: by new_user (last edited Feb 24, 2011 12:34PM) (new)

new_user I agree with Leona that her world-building is subtle, but it's there. It's also very believable to me. In other books, the supes aren't part of human society, they're on the fringes. So they have their own this and that. I don't think it's necessarily lazy world-building that the supes use the ideas or bodies that are already there, like the ombudsman, etc. They would have to or be seen as a threat to the society, and then you'd have slayer vs vampire novel #3,999, LOL.

It's not really a drawback to me that this series is different from the rest.

message 40: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 188 comments Kimmarie wrote: "I just finished and starting on the second one now,

I am enjoying it - It was an enjoyable read - I loved having some new vocabulary words (had to look up like 4 on my nook) I like Ethan and Mo..."

yes finally someone else who understands catcher and mallorys annoying-ness. lol. I also think it was very rude of Mallory and not bestfriend behavior to make merrit feel so uncomfortable that she felt she had to move out. If your best friend is annoyed by you and they know you very well something is wrong lol.

message 41: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Kimmarie wrote: "the one thing that really did get under my skin is the way the author constantly used the word "boy" in reference to Ethan, Catcher, Morgan, etc... It felt very juvenile for a 27 year old vampire to be using...."

I really enjoyed this book and bought books #2 and 3 after finishing it, but the "boy" thing is very annoying. I totally agree with you that it is juvenile for 27yr old vampire (or human) to think of guys that way. Seriously, she's referring to 396yr old vampire as a boy...!?