Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > Some Girls Bite--February Group Read--SPOILER FREE

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (last edited Jan 26, 2011 07:02AM) (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) No spoilers in this topic, please.

Here is the description of the book from GoodReads:

"Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn't exactly glamorous, but it was Merit's. She was doing fine until a rogue vampire attacked her. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker and this one decided the best way to save her life was to make her the walking undead.

"Turns out her savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now she's traded sweating over her thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan "Lord o' the Manor" Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four-hundred- year-old vampire, he has centuries' worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects her gratitude and servitude. But an inconvenient sunlight allergy and Ethan's attitude are the least of her concerns. Someone's still out to get her. Her initiation into Chicago's nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war and there will be blood."

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 81 comments Almost halfway through - it's not grabbing me so far.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa :(

I do remember lots of world building. Are you enjoying the banter?

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 81 comments The banter between Merit and Mallory is quite fun - but Ethan seems to be taking it all a bit seriously.

It makes me wanna run back to Night Huntress - I need a little Bones action!

message 5: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments most people who didn't like this book right away, liked the third book a lot. I really loved this book though, I couldn't stop til I finished.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I actually read book 1 of Chicagoland right after reading book 1 of Night Huntress and found this one to be almost as good. I liked how Merit was sort of thrown into her life with a bang.

Book 2 in this series dragged a little for me though. Book 3 was good.

message 7: by new_user (new)

new_user Wow, I thought this series was much better than Night Huntress, even though Halfway to the Grave was a fun book. Just wait til you get further in the series.

message 8: by Kimmarie (new)

Kimmarie (kimmarie211) | 6 comments So far, I'm about halfway through, It's a fun read - but I can totally put it down and do things, there are some books that is almost impossible with.

message 9: by Kimmarie (new)

Kimmarie (kimmarie211) | 6 comments changed my mind, I really liked this one - the characters were a lot of fun - and I really enjoyed Chloe Niell's vocabulary - I learned some new words. :-)

message 10: by new_user (new)

new_user Yep, she does have a great vocab, LOL.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (katesbooknook) Kimmarie wrote: "changed my mind, I really liked this one - the characters were a lot of fun - and I really enjoyed Chloe Niell's vocabulary - I learned some new words. :-)"

Isn't she a hoot! Most definitely one of my favorite "fun" authors!

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra I'm with you Kimmarie. I'm about 2/3rds through and it's grown on me, but it took a while to get into it. The banter is fun but that character are pretty one-dimensional and formulaic.