YA Paranormal and Fantasy Book lovers discussion

YA Paranormal & Fantasy Urban Dictionary

Comments Showing 1-50 of 207 (207 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 21, 2011 02:29PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Just for fun. Anyone is welcome to add their own.

Not a definition, but I wanted a permanent place to post how to make your spoiler comments hidden :

Oh and Britnee, I'm teaching you this NOW :

< spoiler>your spoiler text inside of here< /spoiler>

Remove the spaces and it will look like this :

(view spoiler)

OUR GROUP URBAN DEFINITIONS :

Mean Girls : Official Group Movie

Nutella : A chocolatey, hazelnut spread. I think we just made this an official group condiment.

TSTL : Too Stupid To Live. Self Explanatory. Examples : Luce in Fallen/Torment, Shay in Nightshade, Zoey in HoN, Ever in Immortals

BOIL : Bending Over In Laughter (courtesy of Artemis and a very silly discussion we had one night)

Cracker Spreadable : Hot guy you'd like to have served up for you, presumably on some form of edible accessory. (courtesy of Jessica, she may wish to add to or edit my definition)

Pimp : Hot without having to try. Someone who naturally has game and doesn't have to work hard at it. Not the same thing as a cocky hot guy. (originally my definition, but I think Britnee has stolen it)

Pretty-making - term used to describe an object(s) that is dazzlingly beautiful (added by Piper)

Bubbly - if a person is bubbly they have a clear head. Seen in Scott Westerfeld's Uglies Series (added by Piper)

1. chomp chomp:
It's the sudden urge to chomp down on a beautiful boy's neck or on his other body parts. It's a sensation that alters one's passion in a biting mode of hunger. It's wanting someone so bad that you want to just eat them up so it causes a Chomp Chomp reaction. Love bitten! (Katty and Schay)

Other definitions that are just useful :

HEA :Happily Ever After. Common term used in romance forums.

PNR :Paranormal Romance - This covers most of the paranormals in the YA genre, since YA readers tend to favor romance over action in the paranormal genre (not sure why, this just seems to be the trend in writing/publishing).

In the adult genre, a PNR is usually a series of books in which each book follows a different couple and the book gives a HEA for the couple. Adult PNR's tend to be more steamy than adult UF's.

YA PNR's break from this formula a lot by continuing to feature the same couple in each book more like an Urban Fantasy, but still focusing on some sort of HEA. Examples of YA PNR : Twilight, Hush, Hush, Fallen, Shiver, etc.

Since most YA's are PNR with the exception of a few, I'll give an example of an adult PNR series - Black Dagger Brotherhood (BDB for short). Each book is romance based, following a different vampire warrior in every book along the discovery of finding his soulmate.

UF :Urban Fantasy - A more action/plot based paranormal romance. Usually follows the same couple over several books, and there is no guarantee of a happy ending like with a PNR, but it often happens. The romance is usually slower build, and often the couple does not hook up in the first book.

Examples of YA UF :

Mortal Instruments
Vampire Academy
Morganville Vampires

Dystopian: A sub-genre of Sci-Fi, often featuring a world in chaos, under the influence of a power struggle.

Examples :

Hunger Games
Maze Runner
Unwind
Matched
Uglies

Steampunk :Usually set in the Victorian era, often in London, but not limited to any one country. Features the use of imaginative inventions such as mechanical robots and goggles, airships, etc. The books just have a certain "feel" that set them apart from a regular historical.

Examples in YA :

Clockwork Angel - Infernal Devices series (prequel to Mortal Instruments)
Leviathan
His Dark Materials (Golden Compass, etc.)

message 2: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Lol! Great idea.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Insomnia gives the best and worst ideas.

message 4: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Haha you're right. I should be sleeping right now.

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess (otherstories) Stacia ~ the plucky heroine wrote: "Just for fun. Anyone is welcome to add their own.

TSTL : Too Stupid To Live. Self Explanatory. Examples : Luce in Fallen/Torment, Shay in Nightshade

BOIL : Bending Over In Laughter (courte..."

Nope that's pretty much what it is LOL!

This is a GREAT thread!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Yeah, well I had an okay idea and one possibly bad idea.

I wanted to start my own form of Rick-rolling or Snooki bombs by sending people links to Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth. Good lord, that video has some ultra cheesiness in it.

I've since woken up and realized that this might have been a bad idea. A few of my friends would have failed to see the humor.

message 7: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Oops I slipped and said that someone was cracker spreadable. I got the 'wtff..' lmao

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Like out loud in real life?

message 9: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Yup lol and I said it to a friend over MSN.

message 10: by Joy (new)

Joy | 13 comments lol - i love the TSTL one right on the mark explaining Luce hahahaha

message 11: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Tegan wrote: "lol - i love the TSTL one right on the mark explaining Luce hahahaha"

Haha yeap.

message 12: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) | 754 comments I still think Ever should be in on that TSTL definition.

message 13: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Catherine wrote: "I still think Ever should be in on that TSTL definition."

Ditto.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I only read the first book and I'm going to have to agree!

Funny how it's usually more the girls that are clueless.

message 15: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) I read the first 20 pages LOL

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Book 1 was just okay and when so many people said the series went downhill from there on out, I was like, "nice knowing you Ever. Good luck with your life."

:)

message 17: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) I'd heard the series was bad before i started and it just didn't hook me from the start.

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) | 754 comments I've read up to the last one that came out & I have it to read... I just have to know what happens to everyone else! Ever can just die now.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Yeah, that's why I stuck it out with HoN. Sometimes a series frustrates you but you're already invested in it and HAVE to keep going. At least HoN is starting to get good again finally after a few weak books. The last one actually got a 4 star rating out of me, and I don't think I usually give over 3 stars on those because the slang and the twins annoy me. I'm quite happy with where it's going now.

message 20: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Why do Main characters have to be so annoying. Add Zoey to that list. Argh.

message 21: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jan 26, 2011 10:59PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Okay. I did want to strangle her in the last book when Stark was being all caring and wanted to perform a meaningful ritual with her to show their dedication to each other and she was upset over ruining a scarf. Stupid girl.

Stark honey, I'll let you have my scarf.

message 22: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Shes such a cow. I hate her alternative-cussing. It annoys me.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) The diarrhea comments KILL me. Same with bullpoopie. I will say though that they were toned down a LOT in the last book. Between Zoey not sounding as bad and the twins not really being around much, I was quite enjoying Awakened.

I so love Kalona, Rephaim, Aphrodite, Stevie Ray, Stark and Darius.

message 24: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) | 754 comments lol I have to say... If I had every hot guy within a 50 mile radius fawning all over me... I'd probably be just as stupid.

message 25: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Oh well thats good then. I'll get around to reading it one day.

They are great characters.

message 26: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jan 26, 2011 11:09PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Oh, I would have too at that age. For me it's more the way she thinks and talks, over her specific actions. We all went through insecurities and hard decisions when it came to guys.

And if the guys were telling me they'd be willing to let me date other guys at the same time like how both Stark and Heath were telling her...IT WOULD SO BE ON!

I do give Erik a break for being a jerk though. Zoey cheated on him pretty badly, more than once (view spoiler), then continued to string him along while she was all over Heath and Stark. She deserved his wrath completely, and I don't get why people think he was the one in the wrong because she screwed him over repeatedly and he just finally got tired of it and got pissed enough to say, "no I'm not putting up with this crap. Either you're mine or you're not." His possessiveness was sort of justified imo.

message 27: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Yeah i don't hate her for the guy part just her herself.

Even though I don't like Erik I think he had the right to treat her that way. They shouldn't have got back together

message 28: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Eh GR is acting weird.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Okay, added some other basic terminology to the list so I don't have to always explain every time I use terms like UF or HEA.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I think I'm just getting tired of the girls in books being able to act stupid, careless and inconsiderate, but if the guy reacts harshly to the girl's stupidness it's somehow HIS fault.

Nope. That's not how real life works. If you mess up with a guy, chances are he's going to throw it back in your face if you're not at least somewhat sorry. Guys are not doormats to be walked on any more than girls are, and we need to cut them some slack. Just because they're the hot, good looking hero type doesn't mean that they have to be perfect or never get angry if they're wronged.

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) You could also add a bit of lingo from Uglies.

Pretty-making - (I've forgotten... something is good?)

Bubbly - if a person is bubbly they have a clear head. Seen in Scott Westerfeld's Uglies Series

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Added.

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) Hopefully someone can define pretty-making for me...? :)

message 34: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Stacia ~ the plucky heroine wrote: "I think I'm just getting tired of the girls in books being able to act stupid, careless and inconsiderate, but if the guy reacts harshly to the girl's stupidness it's somehow HIS fault.

Nope. T..."

I totally agree. I was also thinking before why are the MC girls always so serious and have no personality? I'd love to see an outgoing girl MC for once.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Oh, haha I thought you knew.

I have no idea, I haven't started Uglies yet but am about to, so I'll keep an eye out for it.

message 36: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Pretty-making - term used to describe an object(s) that is dazzlingly beautiful

Thats what internet says.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) MC girls?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Oh, main character?

message 39: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Stacia ~ the plucky heroine wrote: "Oh, main character?"

Yeah. I'm sick of ones with one-dimensional personalities.

message 40: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jan 27, 2011 12:17AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Yeah, most of the girls in YA PNR are so bland. The guys are always witty, strong, etc. and the girls are mediocre. The only one that comes to mind as strong in PNR is Rose from VA. I will give Zoey credit for being ballsy though, even if she's not always bright. There are a few that start weak and grow, like Clary from MI and Claire from Morganville, but I still like their guys WAY better than I like them.

Unless we're talking fantasy or sci-fi. Katniss, Katsa, Yelena, etc. are all strong female protags.

Adult PNR/UF almost always has a kick butt heroine. YA's could stand to take notice in this department.

I shouldn't say this though, since my trilogy features a pretty clueless girl in the first book, but she'll be coming out of her shell in the second book. Guess I shouldn't judge too harshly, huh...

message 41: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Yeah and it makes me wonder why the guys are drawn to them. We never really find out MC's interests either. Rose is great. Clary is okay. Yeah Fantasy books have way better heroines.

Definitely.

My wish is for a YA PNR with a totally crazy and out going MC.

message 42: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Eh well i mean like characters that just NEVER get better.

message 43: by Jess (last edited Jan 27, 2011 12:20AM) (new)

Jess (otherstories) Britnee *VK obsessed* wrote: "Oops I slipped and said that someone was cracker spreadable. I got the 'wtff..' lmao"

LOL I'm so pleased my lingo is spreading to that far across the world.

Also I have to agree about Ever...I read the first one, and it was just okay I haven't bothered reading the next 2 as I'm not sure I want too. I've heard the series gets worse. The only reason I bought Evermore was because the cover was pretty lol.

message 44: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) @Jessica Lmao Right!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I think I got it as a rec back on Amazon after I read HoN, but this was before I joined Goodreads or I would have found out to stay away.

message 46: by Jess (new)

Jess (otherstories) Stacia ~ the plucky heroine wrote: "I think I got it as a rec back on Amazon after I read HoN, but this was before I joined Goodreads or I would have found out to stay away."

Ditto, I bought it before HON as well. But I like HON I enjoy those books. Some of them weren't that great and I'm sooo looking forward to reading Awakened when I receive it!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Awakened is a good improvement. I liked it quite a bit, which shocked the hell out of me.

message 48: by Jess (new)

Jess (otherstories) Yeah I've heard really good things about it. I spoiled it a little for myself by finding out who dies at the beginning, and I was not impressed! That was a bad move Cast!!

message 49: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) I've spoiled quite a few things

message 50: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Jessica Wayland-Laroche-Cipriano-Belikov-Cullen wrote: "Yeah I've heard really good things about it. I spoiled it a little for myself by finding out who dies at the beginning, and I was not impressed! That was a bad move Cast!!"

Hmph I bet its nice and cold where you are (random) lol

« previous 1 3 4 5