Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: Everyday Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tasha (new)

Tasha (overflowingshelves) I'm looking for books with main characters who are magical, vampires, werewolves, psychic, etc. -- not all at once, obviously, that would be overwhelming ;)

I want the books to be set in the modern, real world. The "fantastical" people are limited to an individual or maybe a few families, but no big organizations or groups. These people are not known to the general population.

I want the books to be mostly about the character's everyday life (no grand quests or threats to the entire world) -- hiding his/her powers, using those powers to make a living (such as in the TV show "Moonlight"), coping with the troubles the powers cause, etc.

I've read the first couple of Dresden books by Jim Butcher and these are close, but not exactly what I'm looking for. I'd prefer it if the character didn't really interact too much with other "fantastical" people, mostly with normal people.

Thanks for the help, and let me know if I need to clarify anything.

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user Hmmm, that's a really tough one because most of 'em are save-the-world and do interact with supes, LOL!

message 3: by new_user (last edited Jan 25, 2011 09:33PM) (new)

new_user LOL. Yeah, the only one I can think of offhand is the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. The first book is Dead Until Dark.

message 4: by Becca (new)

Becca (goblinfan) | 215 comments All I can think to suggest is the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. Mercy does deal with other supes but each book seems to pertain to one type of supe. Overall, werewolves are in each book though, and most supes are still in the dark. Not sure if its what you're looking for, now that I've tried to describe it lol. But they are great books.

message 5: by Galla (new)

Galla | 32 comments gigi wrote: "I think I'll write a story about a mild mannered mailman who is psychic and all he does is deliever the mail what do you think NU. sounds good no."

lol! The blurb: "He can read all your mail just by touching it... unfortunately, all you get are credit card offers and utility bills."

Tadamono, I'm having a really hard time thinking of books that do what you're describing, because the genre really tends to go bigger than that. This group's current monthly read, Mind Games, probably fits the bill more than most UF books do. You could also try a book like Poison Study.

message 6: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL! Mailman!

message 7: by Betelgeuze (new)

Betelgeuze | 114 comments I'd Recommend:

The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1) by Mike Carey Mark of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #1) by Diana Rowland and Harm None A Rowan Gant Investigation by M. R. Sellars

message 8: by Becca (new)

Becca (goblinfan) | 215 comments I love the Felix Castor series, I totally second that recommendation. Mark of the Demon is pretty good too.

message 9: by new_user (new)

new_user Maybe check out Kay Hooper's series: Stealing Shadows (Shadows, #1)?

message 10: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments Have you looked at Charles de Lint's Newford books? Isabel's a painter Memory & Dream (Newford Book 5)  by Charles de Lint . Lily is a photojournalist in Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #8) by Charles de Lint . Grace is a classic car mechanic and she doesn't live in Newford in The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint . He's also written books of short stories set in Newford and elsewhere if that's more your style.

message 11: by Kal (last edited Feb 10, 2011 06:26AM) (new)

Kal You know, first thing that comes to mind is the Ultimate Spiderman series. I forget the name of the writer, but he's extraordinarily good for a Marvel comic book series, so... don't knock it until you've tried it. There are probably quite a few superhero comics that would contain the kind of story you're looking for, if you don't mind that medium.

Maybe the Walker Papers by CE Murphy?

message 12: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments Because Josh recommended the Ultimate Spiderman series, it made me think of this YA novel. Hero by Perry Moore by Perry Moore.

Here's the first paragraph of the description from GR:
"The last thing in the world Thom Creed wants is to add to his father's pain, so he keeps secrets. Like that he has special powers. And that he's been asked to join the League - the very organization of superheroes that spurned his dad. But the most painful secret of all is one Thom can barely face himself: he's gay."

I recommend it.

message 13: by Martin (new)

Martin (mafrid) | 23 comments Personally I love the Women of the Otherworld-series, by Kelley Armstrong. It starts with Bitten and they are all fairly stand alone, but the same characters tend to return in later books and she has a few favorites that returns as main characters more than once. They are all female lead, but she has written a few spin-offs with mail leads if you prefer that.
All the books a well written and the characters are believable (or at least as believable as werewolfs and vampires are likely to be).

As for Mike Carey, that was recommended above, I can strongly second that recommendation. I don't know if they will be real 'enough' for you, but they are good enough to be worth a try.

message 14: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (miranda_fall) I highly recommend the Matthew Swift series by Kate Griffin. They are my favorite books and are set very much in the real world.

message 15: by Tiphaine (last edited Mar 16, 2011 03:10AM) (new)

Tiphaine | 60 comments You could try Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye, it's more cosy mystery than urban fantasy but it's set in the modern, real world, the main character is a psychic, she uses her ability to make her living, she deals only with "normal" people... It pretty much fits what you're looking for so you might want to give it a try.

message 16: by Betelgeuze (new)

Betelgeuze | 114 comments Another series that fits the description is the Bewitching Mysteries by Madelyn Alt

The Trouble With Magic (A Bewitching Mystery, #1) by Madelyn Alt A Charmed Death (A Bewitching Mystery, #2) by Madelyn Alt Hex Marks the Spot (A Bewitching Mystery, #3) by Madelyn Alt No Rest for the Wiccan (A Bewitching Mystery, #4) by Madelyn Alt Where There's a Witch (A Bewitching Mystery, #5) by Madelyn Alt A Witch in Time (A Bewitching Mystery, #6) by Madelyn Alt Home for a Spell (A Bewitching Mystery, #7) by Madelyn Alt

message 17: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments Here's one that isn't a cozy mystery series, but I think is one of the very first urban fantasy series, that have just been re-released or are going to be very soon the Diana Tregard series. Burning Water (Diana Tregarde, #1) by Mercedes Lackey is the first book or the omnibus Diana Tregarde Investigates (Diana Tregarde, #1-3) by Mercedes Lackey . The others are Children of the Night (Diana Tregarde, #2) by Mercedes Lackey and Jinx High (Diana Tregarde, #3) by Mercedes Lackey .
P.S. And I haven't read these in approx 150 years and they may not have aged well...

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevinhallock) | 36 comments Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions, but I added a couple of the books mentioned on this list to be to-be-read list. Thanks!

message 19: by carol. (new)

carol. I have a few suggestions, but they are for the most part non-series.
The Folk of the Air andTamsin are both about ordinary people dealing with magical/ paranormal things (Folk of the Air magic, and Tamsin ghosts). The focus a great deal on the "daily life" and the slow building of a conflict. The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown are both about a younger girl slowly becoming extraordinary, and focus a great deal on that process. War for the Oaks is about a band that becomes involved with the Faerie.