Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Questions & Debate > How Do You Afford Books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 228 (228 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Frank (new)

Frank I am a teen, and like most of you, I have no job and generally no income of any sort. I was just curious to know how everyone else can afford books. I understand that the library is a great source of books, but I am one to collect and I love the feeling of actually owning the book.
My parents definitely encourage reading, but they can't afford to give me $50+ a month for books.

Suggestions?

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I have the same issue. I really preffer to own the books i read. And i dont have a job or anything either. I use my christmas and birthday money to get alot of books that i have been wanting for a while, and other than that, i just save loose change i get and pretty soon i'll have around £5 to get a book. So yeh, saving change has worked for me, though i would preffer to be rich so i could buy more than one book every so often lol.

message 3: by Ishita (new)

Ishita (ishifishysquishy) ummm i get em online and for my birthday i get alot of gift cards to book stores :D and my dad buys them online for me once in a while and my mom gets em for me when we go to the store :) (i have to pay a fraction of it though)

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I like to own books but for the most part, I use the library. I usually get books as presents and then once a year, I go to Borders at the beginning of the summer to get books for camp. (and all my friends know how much I read, so I have plenty of gift cards)

Other than that, the only time I really get books is if I'm somewhere without access to my library and need a book badly.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments But yeah, the money spent is my parents, because I don't have a job and they stopped giving me my weekly allowance of 75 cents when I was in third grade.

message 6: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments It's difficult, for me... I too have no income. But I always get gift cards for my birthday and Christmas. Throughout the year my mom buys books that are for both of us but usually end up on my bookshelf anyways. My grandma LOVES buying me books, too, and she always has coupons. ;) Basically? I don't buy my own books, everyone else buys them for me.

message 7: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments I'm lucky. My mom works for a book company so I get all my books for free. Along with meeting authors and getting books signed.

message 8: by Awo (new)

Awo  (awosbooks) | 9 comments Yeah It's also difficult for me, because I'm also a teenager without a job. I usually borrow from the library, but the problem with that is when a new book comes out I have to wait a couple of months to borrow from the library and if its a book from a series Id rather not wait that long. I usually just get my parents to buy it for me, or , when annoyed by my constant book purchasing , I save my money.

message 9: by Z. (new)

Z. (mizzfictionista) That's awesome, Natalie!

I never used to buy books when I was younger. Instead, I went to the library fairly often. I was only able to purchase books if someone gave me a gift card.

Recently, I got an Amazon Kindle for my birthday. I've found that many (not all) Kindle versions of books are cheaper than actual books, and some of the classics are literally free. Of course, having a book on an electronic device isn't the same as having a solid book in your hands, but it's great for the sake of portability. I use Amazon gift cards to buy my books online because my parents refuse to use a credit card, but that option is always available too.

message 10: by Z. (new)

Z. (mizzfictionista) Haha, it's cool Chandler. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion :)

I was just stating another possibility for buying/paying for books.

message 11: by Z. (new)

Z. (mizzfictionista) Really, no worries. I know what you meant :)

message 12: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments I thought I would hate having a Kindle, but I love mine... I still love actual books, but having a Kindle is great for the sake of convenience. Like, I have several HUGE books on it, and it makes it easier to have them with me all the time. Plus, like Zareen said, the classics are either free or really really cheap.

message 13: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments I know they are great, but I don't like them. Although I do like that they can save trees and stuf, but still.... I like the smell of books.

message 14: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (leanneisperf) Some places have where you can trade in old books for new ones.not like new new but new from your perspective. Sometimes the have books you can buy for a steal like a couple dollars. So I mean if you can find a used book store like that in your area that would be cheaper then getting new books you will only read once.:D

message 15: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (leanneisperf) For Real! Haha I have one by my house, but my mom wants me to stay illiterate I think.she hates when I read to much so she rarely even takes me to he library anymore! :( lol

message 16: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments Over the summer all I do is read. from when I wake up and till 3 in the morning. My mom kinda gets mad at me (:

message 17: by Mandie (new)

Mandie | 355 comments Frank wrote: "I am a teen, and like most of you, I have no job and generally no income of any sort. I was just curious to know how everyone else can afford books. I understand that the library is a great sourc..."

Same. I thought I was the only one. So many people on here have hundreds of books on their shelves but I just can't afford to read that many and I get so much schoolwork that I don't have much time. I would borrow books from the school library but the only books in the genres I like are almost completely made up of things like vampire academy and house of night and fallen. I have read house of night and want to read the other two but they are nowhere near the top of my to-read list. Dad encourages us to read books and buys them for us if we find ones we want. Mum doesn't like me spending so much money on books and keeps encouraging me to swap books with my friends. Only about seven of my friends actually read books and five of them borrow from the library. The others either read things I don't like or read things I have already read.

message 18: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments Mandie wrote: "Frank wrote: "I am a teen, and like most of you, I have no job and generally no income of any sort. I was just curious to know how everyone else can afford books. I understand that the library is..."

Suggestion Suggestion!! Read Fallen, it's amazing! Okay bye (: I swap books with my freinds... a lot. Although I'm the main person who gives the friends the boooks...

message 19: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments Mandie wrote: "Frank wrote: "I am a teen, and like most of you, I have no job and generally no income of any sort. I was just curious to know how everyone else can afford books. I understand that the library is..."

Suggestion Suggestion!! Read Fallen, it's amazing! Okay bye (: I swap books with my freinds... a lot. Although I'm the main person who gives the friends the boooks...

message 20: by Mandie (new)

Mandie | 355 comments chandloski wrote: "What types of books do you read that you can't find in the library? Or is it just that the library has a small collection?"

Yeah. They have a small collection of only the ones that are quite popular. I do intend to read them sometime but not until I finish the series I haven't finshed yet.

message 21: by Frank (new)

Frank chandloski wrote: "Oh...I see. And all the popular ones are those paranormal romance books :)"

Yuck. =D

message 22: by Mandie (last edited Jan 25, 2011 09:05PM) (new)

Mandie | 355 comments chandloski wrote: "Oh...I see. And all the popular ones are those paranormal romance books :)"

Yeah. I like reading some of them, but I have different taste to most people who like paranormal romance. I like the ones that are comparatively unpopular, not the twilightish ones.

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments @ Mandie. I own LOTS of books, but I live in a family of five. Not all of them are mine, some are from when my parents were kids and everywhere up until now, some were bought for my siblings, and some were gifts, not to mention gift cards. Plus, my cousin used to work for Barnes and Noble, so I would get free ARCs from that, and our elementary school had author's day, where an author would come and talk, and I would buy at least one of their books, and get it autographed. (my mom helped run it, too, so I saw more of the author than any other kid. I ate pizza with Jean Craighead George)

So anyway, our books came over a long time and many people.

message 24: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
I buy 98% of my books. Out of that 98, 90% would be brand new from a leading book store.
I do have a lot of vouchers-ive still got $30 remaining for Angus and Robinson-which I pay with.
Other then that I pay with my money earnt from chores and grandparents :)
Ive still got about 60-70 $ left. Plus, my birthday is in two weeks-and ive asked for more vouchers :)

message 25: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Most of the time, I don't. (Thank you, libraries!) But when i do most of the time it's from Christmas gift cards and throughout the year I babysit my neighbor so I get money from there- but sometimes that money gets used for other things (like my dad and my Quiz Team shirts this year). And then every year for my birthday I get some money from my grandmother, so that gets used for various things. :)

message 26: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Quiz Team?

message 27: by Rebekah Faith (last edited Jan 27, 2011 09:26AM) (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Yeah, it's Jepordy-style questions. Here's the link to the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiz_bowl although as far as i know, most people dont have to try out, you just join.

message 28: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 2 comments I'm not a teenager. I'm an adult, but I do read Young Adult books too.

I buy my books from the library. I know where I am from, the libraries sell books. It depends on the library. Young adult books are 5/$1.00 or 25 cents each.

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Rae*Gnome Poet* wrote: "Yeah, it's Jepordy-style questions. Here's the link to the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiz_bowl although as far as i know, most people dont have to try out, you just join."

It sounds like Academic Challenge. I'm on that, but our team doesn't have shirts.

message 30: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Oh, just followed the link, and it is Academic Challenge, just a different name. That clears up the confusion, I guess.

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (meowchelle7) | 150 comments Like most of the people said on here, I usually get them with giftcards, and mostly using 40% coupons for Borders too. The money I spend on the books is from the money I earn from doing tasks/getting A+'s on my tests/leftover lunch money.

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (meowchelle7) | 150 comments Also, I don't buy many books anyway. And with the 40% coupon, most of the books I buy are usually $5-$7. I usually get one or two books every month, so it's not that much to spend in the first place. xP

message 33: by Mel (new)

Mel (meltangerine) | 3 comments I borrow loads of books from the library and of course, I save up from my allowance and then splurge it all. :D And of course, from the occasional coupons from Borders.

message 34: by Adam (new)

Adam I'm not a teenager anymore, but when I was I worked a LOT. I basically had jobs from the age of 13 on. Prior to that I had a weekly allowance for a while. I'd also get things for doing really well on report cards and stuff... which kind of stopped in high school 'cause I didn't do as well : (. In any event, my books have grown to over 2,000 books in my own personal library. I like it this way because I have to do a lot of research and I like being able to reference books right away that I've read.

message 35: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Kate wrote: "Rae*Gnome Poet* wrote: "Yeah, it's Jepordy-style questions. Here's the link to the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiz_bowl although as far as i know, most people dont have to try out..."

hahah, yeah. my bestie lives in Colorado and where she lives they call it Knowledge Bowl. And we didn't until this year- the juniors on the team decided we should have a shirt and my dad (he's the coach) was like, 'okay, just come up the design', so we did in the van on the van home from a tourny.

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Your dad is your coach? Ours is the Latin teacher and one of the English teachers (two of the best in the school). We actually had a competition today, and some of the teams have shirts but a lot don't. The funny part was that while we were sitting waiting, one of the teams was talking with their coach about making them, and this conversation is what I thought of.

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) I definitely prefer to own books. And I'm really bad about returning stuff on time. Like, management hisses at me when I walk into Blockbuster because they know I'll never turn stuff in on time.

But my little broke-college kid secret is: I buy most of my books in the "new/used" boxes on Amazon. Like, there's the main price, then there's that box with the New/Used. I usually always buy from those. Saves me around $4 each time, and I've got Amazon Prime, so Prime offers do free shipping. But because of costs, I almost never buy books in actual bookstores. A book you can get on Amazon for $10 would be like $18-25 in an actual bookstore.

message 38: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Kate wrote: "Your dad is your coach? Ours is the Latin teacher and one of the English teachers (two of the best in the school). We actually had a competition today, and some of the teams have shirts but a lot d..."

Yeah, so it's pretty cool. And he'll be my science teacher next year, too. That's cool! (If you don't mind me asking, what state do you live in?) Our shirts are awesome, they're supposed to be done today, so I'll post a picture of me wearing it.

message 39: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I live in New York. Where are you?

I can't wait to see the picture.
It makes more sense if he's also one of your teachers. I was confused that a random parent was your coach. What type of science does he teach?

message 40: by ★ Jess (last edited Feb 01, 2011 02:44AM) (new)

I agree with Amelia-I suck at getting books back on time. The only time I borrow from the library is if the book is a sequel to one that I did not enjoy, but want to give the author a second chance.

I buy my books at either Borders or Angus and Robinson. Some times even from an old second hand store :)
When my vouhers run out, I will start buying from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ which have cheap prices :)

I wish I lived in NY Kate. That would be made of awesome!

message 41: by Kate (last edited Feb 01, 2011 06:01AM) (new)

Kate | 8205 comments That's okay, I wish I were in Australia. My school actually started doing an exchange program last year for freshmen; someone from Australia comes in February, and then you go to Australia in the summer, and they pick two people from each school. I REALLY wanted to do it, and got down to the last five, and then they picked the absolute worst possible candidate.

If they had picked anyone else who had applied, I wouldn't have minded; I would still have been upset, but I wouldn't have been "angry". That girl is an insult. (but she's close friends with the family who started the exchange)

Where I live in New York is nice, but it's not the "New York" you're thinking of. It could be anywhere, if it weren't for all the Yankees fans. New York City is about an hour away. Which is really nice, since I don't like living in a city, but can still go there for shows and stuff. I actually went to Madison Square Garden at last minute notice on Friday.

message 42: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Kate: I'm in West Virginia. :) Ahaha, We don't have the shirts yet, but we will soon. Lolz. He teaches Chemistry, Phisics and Earth Science.

Aww, well that's not really fair. I mean I guess they may have had a nonpartial committee decide, but that still seems biased.

message 43: by ★ Jess (new)

Really? Thats so weird. My school is doing a 6 month exchange to New York-among other states.
I was so close to putting my name down, but for some reason I didnt. Ive been regretting it for a while now...
But I'll probably be going to New York later next year, for my dads 50th. Pretty excited :)

Kate, have you been to Rockefeller Centre? On my loooong list of things to do before I die, #2 is ice skate there at Christmas time.

We can continue this in more depth (of you want) in this thread:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

message 44: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I've been to Rockefeller Center, and I've seen the tree, but I haven't actually skated there. Someday...

This is our school's only exchange program, but the school it's with apparently has a lot (about half their ninth graders do exchanges). Maybe it's an Australian thing.

I agree with you Ray. Supposedly they had nothing to do with the decision, but it seems suspicious to me. Oh well.
If your dad wants to start teaching bio, he is very welcome to come to New York and replace my teacher. ;)

message 45: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Yeah, same here. lolz. I told him that and he said, "No, sorry, don't speak biology." Ahahah. I'll post a picture later, I got my shirt during lunch today.
(PS, you spelt my nickname wrong....lolz)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Earlier it was mentioned that as teenagers most of us have our books bought for us or given the money. Unfortunatly my parents made me pay for my own books XD lmao.

So my book collection comes from saved birthday/christmas money. I also had a job that added to my book funds :) Now as a lowly jobless college student im depending on finacial aid until i can find employment lol. I really should lay off buying books til i find a new job.

message 47: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Rae*Gnome Poet* wrote: "Yeah, same here. lolz. I told him that and he said, "No, sorry, don't speak biology." Ahahah. I'll post a picture later, I got my shirt during lunch today.
(PS, you spelt my nickname wrong....lolz)"

AAAHH!!! sorry about that. I must have been distracted, since I've typed it right before, RAE.
Anytime he wants to reconsider, just let me know.

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) ★ Jessica ★ wrote: "I agree with Amelia-I suck at getting books back on time. The only time I borrow from the library is if the book is a sequel to one that I did not enjoy, but want to give the author a second chance..."

I wish we had a store called Angus & Robinson. That just sounds like a sophisticated place to shoppe! :D

message 49: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Kate wrote: "Rae*Gnome Poet* wrote: "Yeah, same here. lolz. I told him that and he said, "No, sorry, don't speak biology." Ahahah. I'll post a picture later, I got my shirt during lunch today.
(PS, you spelt my..."

Ahahah, it's fine. lolz, can do. :)

message 50: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (proudxnerd9966) | 132 comments I like to own my books but my parents try to discourage me from buying them. My dad really shouldn't be talking when he has 3 bookshelves full of books. I visit the library often and I usually buy my books from either walmart or kmart.
Right now I'm saving up for a bigger bookshelf. The one I have right now is too small and I'm running out of shelf space
I usually get my money from birthdays and holidays and for doing well on report cards. Occasionally I get paid for doing house work like cleaning

« previous 1 3 4 5