Into the Forest discussion

Silverlock (Silverlock, #1)
This topic is about Silverlock
Previous Group Reads > Silverlock References - Spoilers likely

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1388 comments Mod
This is a place to discuss all the literary characters and plots that appear in Silverlock. Did you have a favorite one? One that you missed? One that you feel you got totally wrong?

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'll be turning this into a game for myself. "Spot the Reference!" I know I'll be missing quite a few. I can tell that they ARE references, but I have no idea what they are referring to.

First example: Naglfar. And that is just from the second page!

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments I am still only part way through the book, but I loved Robin Hood and his Merry Men. I think that was done well.

The Mad Hatter, the hare, and the mouse from "Alice in Wonderland" were also great! Loved the exiting scene there. Still makes me chuckle. I enjoy madness.

I also liked Cupid's quick entry and exit; was it Cupid????

I think it was suppose to be, but I'm not sure. I actually really enjoyed the bit with the donkey, the best.

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Chris: Just got into the donkey situation you commented on. Ha! Great! Cannot wait to see how this works out.

Partial list from memory and other postings:

Nagflar is from Norse tradition is a ship made out of finger nail clippings (ick, gag).

bit with the donkey - The Golden Ass

Robin Hood
Beuwulf
Talesin/Merlin
Odysseus
Job
Faust
Roland
(Orlando Furioso)

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments I just realized the copy I am reading includes a guide near the end listing the various characters or references. Wow!

It is in alphabetical order,instead of chronological order. That might make looking up characters a bit daunting.

So, I discovered my Cupid was Puck, which does make more sense.