Baker Street Irregulars discussion

Pastiches, Homages & Parodies > The Sherlockian

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments Anyone read this yet? I have it but I haven't gotten to it yet.

message 2: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikak) | 2 comments I finished it not that long ago, and I enjoyed it. I thought it had a similar feel to the Historian, if you have read that. (just the style, not the story!)

message 3: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments I haven't read the Historian, but I have purchased it recently. It seems like it would be really good (Dracula! Librarians!) but a couple of my book reading buddies really hate it. I also recently read the article on Richard Lancelyn Green in The Devil and Sherlock Holmes. Supposedly his murder?suicide? was the basis for The Sherlockian, and it's really good!

message 4: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikak) | 2 comments I'll have to look for that article - sounds like it would be interesting to read!

message 5: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments It's awesome that we will be reading The Sherlockian! I went a Sherlock panel at the LA Times Festival of Books and the author, Graham Moore, was there. He was really funny and sweet; he signed my book and inscribed: Stop spending all your time watching funny videos on the internet! (I was asking him if he had seen Drunk History.) Anyway, here are a couple of links about the person it is about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/may...

I would post the article I mentioned but you have to be a New Yorker subscriber to read it apparently.

message 6: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments I'm almost finished with the book now. I'm enjoying it though sometimes it becomes... too clever. It feels a bit corny sometimes. The plot locks too perfectly together, and the characters all seem like they are played by the same rangeless actor. Oh no, I make it seem like i hated it! I didn't but this little quibble became distracting sometimes. I like the story that runs through the Victorian age much more than the contemporary one.

message 7: by Sammy (new)

Sammy (IreneAdler) | 27 comments I'm almost done with it and I feel the same way, Joanna. It just first too well together- it's just too unrealistic. But I do like the plot itself and how the chapters alternate between the 19th and 21st centuries.

message 8: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments I almost want this to be a movie. I feel that it's pacing and cleverness is better suited to film.

message 9: by C.O. (new)

C.O. Bonham (dolphin18cb) | 54 comments Joanna wrote: "I'm almost finished with the book now. I'm enjoying it though sometimes it becomes... too clever. It feels a bit corny sometimes. The plot locks too perfectly together, and the characters all seem ..."

I just finished this book and I too enjoyed the 1900 storyline much more than the 2010 one. Maybe it was because the Modern characters were all fictional while Doyle and Stoker were real.

I also didn't like the way the modern story ended. I won't give it away for anyone who hasn't read it.
But still Really? It seemed so anti-climactic.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate Danley (katedanley) | 1 comments Thank you for your honest discussions of Sherlockian! I had heard about it for the first time on NPR (http://www.npr.org/2010/12/11/1319135...) and had it on my "to read" shelf. I had downloaded the sample and wondered if my reaction was "just me". It's nice to know I've got company. :)

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan (penkevi2) | 6 comments I read this book awhile back and found it really enjoyable. Like others have been saying I definitely agree that the 1900 storyline was much more interesting than the 2010 one but yet that one was pretty good too.
Catherine: I agree with you I didn't really care for the modern story lines ending it was just too anti-climactic... I thought that part could have been better but overall it was a great book.