Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

Being Human

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) Has anyone watched Being Human on Syfy? I mention it because there is a werewolf, a vampire and a ghost who share an apartment. I watched some of the first episode and I liked it. Wanted to know others' opinions.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie W. | 26 comments yah, i caught that show too and i'm LOVING IT!! :)

M (aka DarkBeauty73) (darkbeauty73) | 44 comments I watched it and loved it but I too also like the original.

message 4: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) There is an original?

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenlopez1283) I love being human and its only gotten better

message 6: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 76 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "There is an original?"

yep on the BBC which I like so haven't checked out the new US version I've only seen the previews and wasn't to impressed with the casting, however I will probably check it out eventually though!

message 7: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) Didn't know there was a BBC version.

M (aka DarkBeauty73) (darkbeauty73) | 44 comments Yeah the original is starting season 3 in February.

message 9: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) okay, will have to check that out.

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) | 41 comments hmm, I haven't caught the show, I'll have to check it out...

message 11: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) It's on Syfy on Monday nights at 8 or 9pm central time.

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori | 3 comments If you like the BBC version you will be disappointed in the US version.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenlopez1283) oh I have only seen the bbc version, didnt know there was a different one, I just thought they might be airing it on more channels due to its popularity. I probably wont watch the american version and have my original one tainted lol

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie W. | 26 comments I'm wondering, was based on a book ?

message 15: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) to each their own

message 16: by sigmagal (new)

sigmagal | 7 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Has anyone watched Being Human on Syfy? I mention it because there is a werewolf, a vampire and a ghost who share an apartment. I watched some of the first episode and I liked it. Wanted to know ot..."

I watched it and I am hooked!!! I love the show. They are all so interesting!!!

message 17: by Jessica (last edited Jan 27, 2011 08:55AM) (new)

Jessica | 1 comments I am watching the series on Syfy and am loving it! I really like the music they've selected also. I noticed that BBC series is available through netflix, so I think i'm going to watch this new series first and then go back and try to get into the original.

message 18: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) I was wondering about that. I put it on my list too.

message 19: by Julia (new)

Julia | 58 comments Stephanie,

These series aren't based on a book, that I know about. I really love the BBC version, I'm not sold on the American SyFy one yet, but I'm watching...

The things I loved about the BBC version, that these men who share an apartment are so working class, didn't translate to the SyFy version. As I feared. I'm bummed that only way we know it's Boston is from the "Boston PD" on the head vampire's sleeve. The vampire's a nurse, not a lowly hospital worker. The werewolf is a porter. In the BBC version these were the only jobs these men could get/ felt they deserved. I watched the second ep of the SyFy one and realized it's not American, but Canadian. I don't like the werewolf always being the butt of jokes, it felt more shared to me on the BBC version. George is odd, but they're all odd.

I'm really looking forward to season 3 of "Being Human" on BBC. The SyFy channel version of "Being Human" I may watch if it's on when I'm watching tv...

message 20: by Chela (new)

Chela (chelah) | 8 comments The BBC has a lot of good paranormal shows I really liked Hex (the first season) and Demons. I hadn't got around to actually watching the orignal version of Being Human. But all in all I thought the SyFy version wasn't bad. I love the storyline and  maybe it's just me but I think the actor who plays Aidan is hot. I'm dying to see where they take the show from here and I definitely have to watch it's Brittish counterpart to compare the two.

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori | 3 comments Being Human season 3 starts on BBC 2/19.

Irene Well Worth A Read I haven't seen it yet but I've DVRd the first 2 episodes and will probably watch it some time this weekend. Looks promising. I hate to get addicted to a new syfy show though because I was a big fan of "Haven" and it seems to have gone off the air and left me hanging.

M (aka DarkBeauty73) (darkbeauty73) | 44 comments From what I have heard about Haven it is coming back, just don't know when.

Irene Well Worth A Read M (aka DarkBeauty73) wrote: "From what I have heard about Haven it is coming back, just don't know when."

Oh I hope so. Seems like every time I enjoy something it gets cancelled.
Just watched being human and I'm hooked. I hope it lasts.

M (aka DarkBeauty73) (darkbeauty73) | 44 comments Well the original Being Human is starting it's third season next month. As for the other version we will have to wait and see.

message 26: by Soluus (last edited Mar 28, 2011 05:57PM) (new)

Soluus A bit late to the subject but I'm from England and I've watched all three seasons as well as the Becoming Human online spin-off and various prequels. I heard that SyFy was making an "original show" (ridiculous) and instantly feared that it would suffer the same translation error as Skins did; a lot of things in Being Human BBC have relevance to the average British working class man's life in that two of the characters are lowly hospital workers and all three of the original characters live in a somewhat grim house together. It's not gritty as such, but it's realistic and that's why I found Being Human SyFy so unwatchable.

I really did try, but about ten minutes in I had to turn it in because I couldn't watch it any further. Now, obviously, I'm not an expert on the average American lifestyle but the show just seemed to do what every other American show I've seen do: Glamorise. I understand that vampires are very chic at the moment but for me it completely betrays what the essence of Being Human is all about: Being outcast and punishing yourself for something that isn't your fault. All four of the main characters had their supernaturalness forced upon them and you can see that they all struggle with it in their individual ways.

Like I said, I haven't watched the SyFy show all the way through, but those first ten minutes really felt as if they were completely forgetting the source material. I understand this is an "original" show but it would be nice if for once American TV could emulate the material better instead of subscribing to viewer numbers.

message 27: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) I stopped watching this show after 4 episodes. I didn't find it that interesting in truth. I thought it had an interesting premise but it didn't stack up.

message 28: by Soluus (new)

Soluus You should definitely check out the BBC original - unless that's the one you're referring to. I find the characters much more endearing (specially George and Annie).

message 29: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) I was referring to the Syfy version.

M (aka DarkBeauty73) (darkbeauty73) | 44 comments I like the syfy show better then the original but I do want to see where both series go.

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori | 3 comments I agree with Soluus.

message 32: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) The BBC version is much better. The vampire is angsty, scary but funny & hot, the werewolf is an awkward, nerdy yet adorable crybaby and the ghost is vivacious and lovable. The best trio in TV as of now. Not to mention, the UK version is frakkin' hilarious!

The US version is rather flat, I must say. Maybe because of the casting. Not really fond of the vampire and the ghost.

message 33: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) I have enjoyed the Syfy version, I have some of the BBC current season on dvr, just havent watched it yet.

message 34: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) I really enjoyed it. I haven't seen the BBC series yet.

message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Has anyone watched Being Human on Syfy? I mention it because there is a werewolf, a vampire and a ghost who share an apartment. I watched some of the first episode and I liked it. Wanted to know ot..."

Yes. Love it. Can't wait until next season!

message 36: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Gressley (kelmay) | 3 comments I love watching the BBC show not US.

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenlopez1283) did anyone see the end of season 3? BBC version

message 38: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Gressley (kelmay) | 3 comments yes i did see the end of season 3 BBC version

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenlopez1283) I was so disapointed

message 40: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Gressley (kelmay) | 3 comments I was too but I am ready for next season

message 41: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 471 comments Mod
I need to check that show out! Just dumped Comcast though. Hope I can get it through YouTubeTV