Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived: Threads, misc. > Downton Abbey TV Series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I was just watching the Downton Abbey series on PBS.org, so far only three episodes, but another comes out on Sunday. I'm really loving this show! It's about the lives of an Earl and his wife and three daughters, and his heir who is a third cousin, and all the servants in their huge beautiful house in England around 1913. There's also the Dowager Countess, played by Maggie Smith (Prof. McGonagal(sp?) from the Harry Potter movies) and she's a great old battle-ax. There's all the makings that are in a historical romance (well not so much sex), and it's a fascinating look into life back then. Has anybody else watched this?

message 2: by Michelle (last edited Jan 25, 2011 10:05AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Kit wrote: "I was just watching the Downton Abbey series on PBS.org, so far only three episodes, but another comes out on Sunday. I'm really loving this show! It's about the lives of an Earl and his wife and t..."

I haven't watched that show yet, but it sounds interesting. I'll have to look for it on Sunday.

message 3: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments They have the first 3 episodes in full on their website (as well as a bunch of their other shows), that's how I caught up, now I can watch on the big tv this weekend yay!

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I have it on TiVo, but haven't watch any yet. Do you know if Sunday will wind-up the series? I was going to do a marathon...unless it runs for awhile.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Kit wrote: "They have the first 3 episodes in full on their website (as well as a bunch of their other shows), that's how I caught up, now I can watch on the big tv this weekend yay!"

Thanks Kit. I think I'll try to watch the fist episode sometime today.

message 6: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I think there's 7 or 8 episodes in all.

message 7: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) Kit I have been watching it and loving it. I love Maggie Smith. Such a great series, huh?

message 8: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Michele wrote: "Kit I have been watching it and loving it. I love Maggie Smith. Such a great series, huh?"

O man it is! I keep thinking about it when I'm doing other stuff, I can't wait to see the rest of it :) Maggie Smith is so great in her part, she makes a excellent mean old bird lol.

message 9: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) Yes she does. Lol. And I love all the doings of the Downstairs. I agree, I really look forward to Sunday's and the next installment.

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Just checked the internet and there are seven in the series...with more to come in the second year. I have it on TiVo and I plan to start watching tonight at a friend's house who is recovering from a procedure.

For fun quotes by Maggie Smith from this series check out
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/...

message 11: by Michelle (last edited Jan 27, 2011 04:41AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Hey guys! I've moved this discussion to another folder titled "TV, movies, etc."

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Getting ready to catch up on the series now!

message 13: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Counting down 'til it comes on at 9... wish I had TiVo or something lol I have a feeling the baby's not going to let me watch peacefully...

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Kit, you can watch online...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/w...

message 15: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments O boy, just watched last nights episode... I'm mad at Mary lol. Poor Edith, I mean, yea, she's a little snarky sometimes, but I think if everyone overlooked me and thought "poor not very pretty girl" all the time, I'd probably get a little cranky too. But for her own sister to ruin her one and only prospect... ugh. I do not feel sorry for Mary at all.

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jan 31, 2011 03:54PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Kit, I totally agree with you. It is hard for me to feel charitable toward Mary. I keep wanting to, but I can't.

message 17: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Lisa wrote: "Kit, I totally agree with you. It is hard for me to feel charitable toward Mary. I keep wanting to, but I can't."

LOL yea... poor little rich girl :) Whoops now I'm being snarky. Oh, and I'm glad Mr. Bates is staying, I think his and Anna's relationship is rather sweet. I'm rooting for the blonde footman and Daisy too. Watching this show has made me think more about the many anonymous maids and footmen and such who fill romances, especially because without their servants, many of the main characters would have a lot more difficulties.

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments SPOILER (I think it is okay to post them here).
So true, Kit. I also like that the characters are not all completely good or completely bad (except Thomas, he is pretty much bad all the way through). Even Sarah O'Brien (Countess Grantham's lady's maid) is only 90% bad...I mean she does consider stopping her actions and then later I felt she was really stunned and regretful when she finds out she made a mistaken assumption. Same with Lady Mary, she appears to have some insight into her own sense of self. Even in the first episode she felt sad because she wasn't as sad as she should be over the loss of Patrick. Man-o-man, I kept rooting for her, but alas, she didn't come through.

message 19: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I think so far my favorite is Lady Sibyl, she's trying to help her maid with finding a secretary job, and she's going out to support politics and voting... I'm looking forward to seeing what's going to happen with her storyline.

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I like her too, and the fact that her mother understands her position on women's rights. Do you think she would make a good matach for Matthew Crawley...or do you think a stark with Tom Branson (Irish chauffeur) will happen? After all, World War I is starting, things are going to get crazy and passionate when there is a war going on.

message 21: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I'm definitely sensing an attraction with Branson, and I think she's just the type to not care that he's not rich and titled, she may throw caution to the wind if she gets passionate for him. But I think if she and/or Matthew were to ever act on her little crush on him, Mary would go nuts. She was already glaring daggers at them when Matthew helped her after the riot...

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I hadn't really seen Lady Mary glaring daggers at Lady Sibyl, but I plan to re-watch it with a friend. I did note her eyes going wide and her spine kind of straightened. I definately think she became more aware that she had feelings, herself, for Mathew. I like what their father said about Lady Mary not realizing what would happen if she set her toy down.

I have a question for you. I was wondering if I missed something. The rumors about Lady Mary's virtue were already making the rounds in London BEFORE Lady Edith wrote to the ambassador, right? I really believed Napier when he said he didn't start them, but then how did they get started?

message 23: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Hmm, that is a good question. Maybe Thomas the smarmy footman had something to do with it? He was the only other one who knew anything about it, and he seemed kind of mad when his come-on to Mr. Pamuk was rebuffed.

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I was wondering the same thing. I don't want to do a 'rush to judgement' because they didn't show he doing so. Not that his heart isn't black enough. But the upstairs people/women were definately in a stew about it outright before Thomas and Sarah O'Brien were pressuring Daisy.

message 25: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Well, here it is Saturday night and all I can think of is what the Dowager Countess, played by Maggie Smith asked: What's a week-end?

LOL!

message 26: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Lol! Any idea of how long we have to wait for the next episode?

message 27: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments England gets it in the fall...but us? Probably same time next year.

message 28: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Oh no! I can't wait that long :(

message 29: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Feb 06, 2011 06:46PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I know the feeling! We'll just have to wait in our wigwams.

Cora: "Are we to be friends then?"
Lady Grantham: "We are allies, my dear, which can be a good deal more effective."

message 30: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Feb 17, 2011 12:17AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments If you haven't seen "Downton Abbey," or missed an episode and don't have it on your TiVo or other recording device, you only have until February 22 to see it on PBS online.

DowntonAbbey

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the link.... I have been wanting to see this but have been afraid.... I thought it might be like Brides Head..... I am the only person on earth who disliked that movie.... I enjoyed watching the paint on my wall dry more than that movie....

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I didn't see Brides Head. In all honesty, Downton Abbey is a bit of a turn-of-the-century soap opera. I wouldn't rate it as a romance.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh thanks for the heads up..... I have to have a little romance in the mix.... although I loved Cranford and that didn't receive good reviews.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved A Room with a View and my daughters and I watched that when they were 14 and 16...... oh my.... lol

message 35: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I haven't seen either of those. Were they good? SPOILER! There is just a slight hope of a romance between one or two newly-flirting/interested couples in Downton Abbey.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked Enchanted April and loved A room with a View. Remember they are English and can be a bit dry but I love MOST English movies. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED ... North and South.. Takes Place in Victorian England. It is right up there with my Pride and Prejudice ....... with Colin Firth.

message 37: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Feb 17, 2011 09:15AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I love English stuff...but then I am part English. I totally get their humor.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I love it to..... and I get it too.... I am half Irish ....... close enough?????

message 39: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm part Irish also! LOL. English, Danish and Irish.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

At least all yours go together.... I am half Irish quarter Italian and a quarter Lebanese ....... ha..... what the heck...... how they all get together.... in Poughkeepsie of course. LOL

message 41: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I think I have a drop of German in me too. Man-o-man, one of the big loves of my life was Italian. Tall, dark and handsome. Ohhhhhhhhhhh. And what a body.

message 42: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Lol I'm Irish and German and a little bit Cherokee... I always wanted to be English though, I've wanted to move there ever since I was little.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL
I only had one love of my life and I married him.... I said I would never marry an arab and a few weeks after I said " I swear on a stack of bibles I would never marry an arab" I met my husband ... he had told the person who introduced us he was greek.... but he was Syrian...... We were married secretly a month later..... been married 34 years.
Well I know God has a sense of humor. He shut me up.

message 44: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 17, 2011 11:06AM) (new)

Kit wrote: "Lol I'm Irish and German and a little bit Cherokee... I always wanted to be English though, I've wanted to move there ever since I was little."

ME TOO!!!!!! I love everything English!!!!!!!

message 45: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I always wanted to be American Indian. I had an uncle who told us when we were little that our last name was give to an ancestor, a great trapper and mountain man, who's was so named by the American Indian tribe that raised him. I sympathized with every Indian protrayed by Hollywood in every western my older brother (who ruled the remote) ever made me watch. I totally bought it hook, link and sinker.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

LisaKay wrote: "I always wanted to be American Indian. I had an uncle who told us when we were little that our last name was give to an ancestor, a great trapper and mountain man, who's was so named by the Americ..."

Have you read Trail Of Tears by John Ehle? Thats the thing with history.... you need to make sure of your sources. When in high school I would play ''what's wrong with this picture'' and research to see if what was being taught to me was truth. I always did and do that with movies. I love fantasy and make believe but I get really angry when the truth is twisted.

message 47: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Feb 17, 2011 03:05PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments No, I haven't read Trail of Tears: The Rise and Fall of the Cherokee Nation, but I've heard a lot about it. I watch the History channel and I believe they mention 'trail of tears' but maybe they aren't talking about the book. I'm with you on the whole research and truth twisting thing. I used to be an ICU nurse and was a CCRN (Critical Care Certified); we based everything we did on "evidence-based practice" so I was always reading and doing research.

message 48: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 17, 2011 03:19PM) (new)

I love history and finding the truth... I find it like a treasure hunt. But it is not for the faint of heart. So many people don't want to know the truth about things.
I find a lot of nurses... friend and family... seem be more knowledgeable than most of the doctors I know.

message 49: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I heard a doctor give a great lecture once. He said doctors are like regular cameras, taking pictures when they made beside visits to the patient. Snap shots, if you will. Ahhhh, but the nurse is a video camera, constantly observing and recording. I was fortunate to work at a wonderful hospital filled with wonderful people and with a great group of cardiologists.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

That is so true.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.