Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Rewritten fairy tales?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 127 (127 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ameris (new)

Ameris (snap228) | 13 comments I'm a sucker for YA fiction that's based on a fairy tale, and I'm wondering if anyone out there would have suggestions for some books I haven't read yet.

I love Gail Carson Levine's works, and I also enjoyed Beastly (I don't remember the author on this one :-(), but are there any books you've really enjoyed that have a fairy tale as their foundation? (Dosn't matter how abstract that foundation is :-P). Thanks!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments Wildwood Dancing and Cybele's Secret by Juliet Marillier! Her non YA books are based on fairy tales too and are not real graphic, so depends on where you draw the line at YA. One of my very favorite authors ever and I own every book she has written, some in hard cover and paperback both (so I can loan my paperbacks)!

message 3: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments I loved Gail Carson Levine's stuff and I've been meaning to read Beastly, got to love YA fairy tales rewritten :)

Starry-Eyed Jen (starryeyedjen) try this one: Cloaked by Alex Flinn by the same author as Beastly by Alex Flinn . or this one: As You Wish by Jackson Pearce

i actually haven't read any of those, but they're all on my to-be-read-very-soon list, and i've heard good things. :)

message 5: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Also, check out Ash by Malinda Lo , The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale , The Princess and the Hound by Mette Ivie Harrison , Beauty A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley , or for something a bit darker, Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan .

Can you tell I like these too? :)

message 6: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Ash is on my to read list!

message 7: by Ameris (last edited Jan 25, 2011 09:58AM) (new)

Ameris (snap228) | 13 comments Jeannette wrote: "try this one: Cloaked by Alex Flinn by the same author as Beastly by Alex Flinn. or this one: As You Wish by Jackson Pearce

i actually haven't read any of those, but they're all on..."

I didn't know that author wrote another book! Excellent. I hate when I find what appears to be a really good book that hasn't been released yet. :-( Both have been added to my wish list. :-P

Catie wrote: "Also, check out Ash by Malinda Lo, The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale, The Princess and the Hound by Mette Ivie Harrison, Beauty A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley..."

Ash and Tender Morsels are both on my wishlist currently (I read the first chapter of Tender Morsels and was hooked). I have The Princess and the Hound, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. :-P I've actually read Beauty, but, to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Robin McKinley's work. A little too dry for me.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! Keep them coming. :-P

message 8: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I went into Ash thinking that it was just a reimagining of Cinderella - I didn't know about the "twist" involved with it. But I ended up really liking it! It's a cool take on the fairy tale.

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) A Kiss in Time is sort of a sleeping beauty retelling..its buy the one who wrote Beastly I am listening to it on audiobook and its different..LOL

message 10: by Ameris (new)

Ameris (snap228) | 13 comments Catie wrote: "I went into Ash thinking that it was just a reimagining of Cinderella - I didn't know about the "twist" involved with it. But I ended up really liking it! It's a cool take on the fairy tale."

I first found out about it through the LGBTQ thread, which is what inspired this thread. :-P It looks really interesting! I have so many things to read! Oh but I'm a glutton for punishment, however. :-P

message 11: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Good to know!!

message 12: by Ameris (last edited Jan 25, 2011 10:13AM) (new)

Ameris (snap228) | 13 comments Stormi wrote: "A Kiss in Time is sort of a sleeping beauty retelling..its buy the one who wrote Beastly I am listening to it on audiobook and its different..LOL"

Awesome! Added that to my wishlist too. I don't like how all of his books have the same kind of title, the lettering with thorns on it, like a rose. Little preferences i guess. :-P

Edit, off topic, but has anyone seen the preview for the movie Beastly is going to be turned into? Looks very intersting.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments Only problem with the movie Beastly (in my opinion of course) is that the girl in the book is not a darling beautiful Disney actress. She is a girl that the hot shot popular guy would not have looked twice at and part of his transformation of character is to learn to look past what is on the surface.

message 14: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments probably just wanted the actresses name

message 16: by Arphaxad (last edited Jan 25, 2011 10:27AM) (new)

Arphaxad | 335 comments Found an awesome list!

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/96...

Some good ones on there, I suspect it'll be bad for my TBR pile.. *rubs hands together gleefully*

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) The thing I don't like about the movie Beastly is that the teen has tattoos all over him..thats not Beastly at all..in the book it describes him as a beast not a guy with tats all over his face and body..blah...makes me mad!!

message 18: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Oh man, there's over 400 books on that list! Thanks!

message 19: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I was just looking at that, lmao. I read the synopsis of Beastly and grabbed it for my Kindle, then went to IMDB and looked at the pictures for the movie and thought to myself that he didn't look 'Beastly', he looked... like Powder (the movie) with tatts.

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) Wow, thats a huge list..and a lot of books I have never heard of..I should not look at the list...LOL

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Alex Flinn wrote Beastly, A Kiss In Time, and Cloaked. Haven't read Cloaked, but the other two were great retellings of fairy tales in modern day period.
Added Ash to my to read list.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "Only problem with the movie Beastly (in my opinion of course) is that the girl in the book is not a darling beautiful Disney actress. She is a girl that the hot shot popular guy would not have loo..."

they should have chosen some one who's a bit more plain jane-ish for the female role.

message 23: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments I just finished Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George and it was only barely a 3 star for me. The characters were really lacking, so I can tell you if your a character driven type of reader, the book isn't for you.

I personally adore fairytale retellings. My favorites are anything by Juliet Marillier or Shannon Hale. I've read some by Robin McKinley, and ya, dry is a good way to describe them. Suzanne Weyn has also written quite a few, but there's absolutely no magic in them like you would find in any fairytale, so I wasn't a fan.

Orson Scott Card actually did a fairly decent retelling in Enchantment. I liked it.

message 24: by Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (last edited Jan 25, 2011 11:09AM) (new)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments Becca, I am glad someone else mentioned Juliet Marillier. She is the most overlooked author out there, perhaps because she is in Australia and her books are not promoted well here in the USA. She is a story teller far superior to most authors I have read in any genre. These two are YA and the rest of her books are not far from YA. Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1) by Juliet Marillier Cybele's Secret by Juliet Marillier

message 25: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Yikes really Becca I have that on my list.

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) I bought Princess of the Midnight Ball but have never read it. Now it might find itself even father down the line. =(

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 29 comments You should check out Devoured by Amanda Marrone . I thought it was awesome.

message 28: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments I'm actually not that impressed with the author, Jessica Day George. I've read a few by her and while the stories are interesting and she has some really unique ideas, her characterization always seems to be somewhat (or majorly) lacking and the relationships feel a little forced off the bat. She just isn't my style. A lot of people like her though.

message 29: by Kayla (last edited Feb 02, 2011 10:02AM) (new)

Kayla (kaylawrites89) | 351 comments Beast by Donna Jo Napoli is a great and exotic retelling of Beauty and the Beast that I absolutely loved.

Also, the story of the Polar Bear king is one of my favorite tales and Ice by Sarah Beth Durst and East by Edith Pattou are two truly incredible and vastly different tellings of this story. both are very beautiful and definitely worth a read. I must also add Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George to the list as well.

The Looking Glass Wars (Looking Glass Wars, #1) by Frank Beddor if you like alice in wonderland, you'll like this one, it has a different take and twist, but it's very good.

message 30: by Ali (new)

Ali | 106 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "Becca, I am glad someone else mentioned Juliet Marillier. She is the most overlooked author out there, perhaps because she is in Australia and her books are not promoted well here in the USA. She..."

2nd this author! Just finished Daugther of the Forest and was awesome. Granted some of it is outside the YA scope but the novel does start out with the lead character very young.

message 31: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Go read the second one Ali. Liadan is by far my favorite protagonist ever.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments And Bran is one of my favorite book heroes ever! I love their story the most of all the Sevenwaters books. Of all of Juliet's books Bran is tied for my favorite with Faolan in the Bridei Chronicles.

message 33: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Why did I not mention Bran? OMGoodness! Yes, he's pretty much fantastic (and sexy).

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments Becca, you were leaving it to me to mention him! LOL I so wish more people would discover this incredible author. It is hard to even find her books at the bookstores. I have all of them in soft cover and slowly collecting the hardbacks for my "best books" shelf.

message 35: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments What author?

message 36: by Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (last edited Feb 02, 2011 09:21AM) (new)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments Juliet Marillier She is an Australian author.

message 37: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments I have one of her books in my bookself, when I'm done with this semester I'm hooping to finally getting a chance to read it, my friend suggest it Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1) by Juliet Marillier

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments I hate to say I have one favorite author, but if I do it probably is Juliet Marillier. Wildwood Dancing is not my favorite of hers and probably my least favorite, but a lot of people would disagree. Not to say it is not a really good read. I have not read any of hers that was not outstanding and one must choose favorites! She is a true storyteller.

message 39: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Haha after I read that one, what would you say is her best?

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments Oh, that is so hard. Probably Son of the Shadows (second Sevenwaters book), but when I was reading her books the one I just finished was probably my favorite! Her Bridei Chronicles (3 books) is IMO even better than the Sevenwaters series although that is a tough call. My favorite Sevenwaters books were #1, #2 and #4. The great part about them is that they are not a continuation of the same hero and heroine but each one is the story of another member of the family. Thus you do not have to give up the characters you love from the previous book but can move on to a new story. Since this is a thread about books based on fairytales, each one is a different story/theme. To me, the Bridei Chronicles, although very different from them, are the same theme as the Arthur legend. Her stand alone book, Heart's Blood is definitely based on Beauty and the Beast but very different.

message 41: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Okay I'll look into them thank you!!

message 42: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I really want to read some of hers - is she a featured author this year at some point? Maybe I'll go check.

message 43: by Arphaxad (new)

Arphaxad | 335 comments Yep - April! Gonna be awesome, by the sounds of things :)

message 44: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Yay! April is my month then.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments That is awesome. She is on facebook and really interacts and answers questions.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/p...

message 46: by Alicia (new)

Alicia I thought Princess of the Midnight Ball was fluffy and sweet, but nothing special. I gave it three stars. Definitely agree with Becca that the character development is lacking.

I absolutely loved East - it was beautifully written, the prose was just stunning. Ice, on the other hand, was a retelling of the Polar Bear King, that I didn't care for. The bear was too creepy, and his relationship with the female protag was unbelievable and quite screwed up. It's shelved on my "not-so-feminist-themes" shelf. (view spoiler)

message 47: by Ali (new)

Ali | 106 comments Becca wrote: "Go read the second one Ali. Liadan is by far my favorite protagonist ever."

Just bought it for my Kindle last night and started it. If you all say Bran tops Red (who was awesome!) even more excited to read it! Thrilled that she's the author for April!

message 48: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Ottilie wrote: "I have one of her books in my bookself, when I'm done with this semester I'm hooping to finally getting a chance to read it, my friend suggest itWildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1) by Juliet Marillier"

Wildwood was the first I read by Marillier, Ottilie and I have to say it is one of my favorite retellings of the twelve dancing pricesses I have ever read. I really loved it, but Terry is right, her other books are just as good if not way better. But if you start with that one, you can look forward to even better books by her. After I read Wildwood, I went back to my library and checked out every single book they had by her and requested the rest of them, that's how big an impression it made on me.

message 49: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Ali wrote: "Becca wrote: "Go read the second one Ali. Liadan is by far my favorite protagonist ever."

Just bought it for my Kindle last night and started it. If you all say Bran tops Red (who was awesome!) ..."

Bran is my favorite of her male protags, I like him even better than Faolan. She just knows how to write swoon worthy males.

message 50: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments e! yay! then I'm excited to be able to read this then!!

« previous 1 3