YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

Archived > Kindle or Nook?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Summer, MIA since 2014 (new)

Summer (sunsset) | 49 comments Mod
Which one do you prefer?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a Nook color. I absolutely love it! I have no experience with the Kindle, so I can't say which is better. But I chose the Nook because it was touch screen and in color. It's neat (that's my nerd word for the day..."neat"...haha)

Yay! Go Nook!

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) I have the 3G Nook and the Nookcolor. I love them both and use them both. I had no experience with the Kindle either. I saw the Nooks every time I was in Barnes and Noble. I like that you can go straight there with any problems.

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole_sheree) | 34 comments I have a Nook WiFi and I love it! I love having access to 100s of books at my finger tips. (wish I had a NookColor just for the fact it comes with neater* features, but I recieved it as a gift-so can't really complain.)
And never had access to a Kindle, but my brother has one and he loves it.

*@Amy- I love the word 'neat'! lol

message 5: by Tish (new)

Tish (paradiseisalibrary) | 33 comments I have the 3G Kindle. I love it. I like that it holds 3500 books and Amazon's customer service is awesome. It's so easy to either shop on the kindle itself or on the Amazon website and have it sent directly to me. The e-ink screen is lovely and I love that I can highlight my favorite passages and they'll all be on kindle.amazon.com Overall I like the Kindle better than the Nook

message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber Carson (momtwo3) | 30 comments I have the nook wifi and nook color and I LOVE my nook color!! I keep the wifi around for the kids to use to read their books but sadly Ive not found a use for it for myself since i got the nook color.... I dont have any experience with the kindle first hand but i did play with one for a minute and best buy and i liked that it felt so much thinner and lighter than the original nook......

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie I have a kindle and I've had it a little over a year. I love it but there are a few things that I wish it had. I wish it had backlighting and I wish it had a stand to prop it up with for those long reading sessions! :) I have never really seen a nook so I can't really compare. It sounds really cool and especially love that it's in color.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy (Crazybeautiful1409) | 22 comments I have a nook and Love it!!

message 9: by Tish (new)

Tish (paradiseisalibrary) | 33 comments It's not possible to have a backlit screen on the Kindle or any screen with the e-ink. The e-ink screen makes that impossible. You wouldn't be able to read the text if there was a light behind it. Also they sell cases that have stands they also sell cases that have book lights...

message 10: by Nichola (new)

Nichola | 28 comments I have a 3G nook, I want the color but I am good with this for now.

message 11: by Nichola (new)

Nichola | 28 comments Does anyone want to start a book swap? We can use the Lend me feature for those of us that have nooks. I'm not sure if it's allowed.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

That sounds fun! :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a nook color. That I love! A book swap would be really cool! I really want to try that out.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok I started a book swap thread in this (Book Suggestions) folder! Have fun! :)

message 15: by Tish (new)

Tish (paradiseisalibrary) | 33 comments Kindle just started the lending feature. How long can you lend out a book on the Nook?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know! I've never done it before haha :)

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) When you loan a book they can have it for 14 days. And the book can only be lent out once.

message 18: by Tish (new)

Tish (paradiseisalibrary) | 33 comments Ahh that's how it is on Kindle. You can lend the book out for 14 days and that's it. lol

message 19: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (krististern) I'm a Kindle girl. The Nook just doesn't have the battery strenth I need.
I like the idea of color but like Gameboys and such they give me Headaches.

I have a Kindle 2 and a Kindle 3 (with 3G) My son uses the Kindle 2 in school and the Kindle 3 seems to be just the right size for me.

I think what ever one you have will be your fav because it's what you're used to. I'm sure if I had a Nook, it would be my favorite. I'm just happy to have a decent ereader that's connected to a big book store :o]

The book on Kindle can only be lent out once to the same person. You can lend it out to another person just not the same person.

How much are the Nook Colors going for now? I'm not anti-nook color, I worry about the headache thing but I do heart me some color!

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) The Nookcolor is $249 right now. I have both the Nookcolor and the 3G Nook. I love them both. The battery life on my 3G Nook is way better, but that is to be expected. I trade off using them. When one is charging I use the other. I agree that probably whatever you have is your favorite!

message 21: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (krististern) How is it on your eyes? Do you seem to get any headaches or eye strain? I'm talking about the color because if I switched I'd definitely go for the color.

Are there more illustrations then you'd find in the Kindle?

I've been on bedrest, literally for 2 months yesterday so battery length isn't really that big of a problem for me right now, maybe not for a long time so I'm not going to worry about that.

I'd appreciate any pros and cons when you get a chance.
I've got some friends that just came over to help around the house so I won't be on for a bit but I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks a bunch!
Kristi

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) The Nookcolor fascinates me! I don't know how else to put it. I was perfectly happy with my e-ink 3G Nook. But I found myself going into Barnes and Noble again and again to see it. That's when I new that even though I was totally in love with my other Nook, I really did want it.

The clarity and color is awesome. You can see your books as very small pics or beautiful larger pics that make checking your library really easy.

I'm still learning my way around it and plan on going to a Nook class at my local store. I'm sure there's alot of stuff I don't even know it can do yet. My very favorite think (other than actually reading) is that I can update my reading status on Facebook. It will post a pic of the book I'm reading with how many pages I've read and what percentage I've read. Stupid but I really like that feature. You can also send recommendations. This also works for Twitter.

For the lendme feature, you can put in contact info of other friends with Nookcolors and they can see what you have available to lend and you can see their books.

As far as reading, I haven't noticed any eye strain at all. I do spend a great deal of time at computers so it isn't any different for me. I love that if I'm in a car at night I don't have to take my orginal Nook with a seperate light. I just grab the Nookcolor and it is perfect.

If you can think of anything I haven't covered just let me know. I haven't played any games on it yet. Nor have I used the Pandora radio yet. And I'm told that Apps are coming for it sometime within the next couple months, so that's pretty exciting. Hope this helps. You can also check out the Facebook pages for the Nookcolor and see what others are saying about it.

message 23: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (krististern) Wow, thanks that helps a lot! You just might've converted me and I never thought that would happen :o]

Thanks, Suzy!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I also love the Nook Kristi! I never thought I'd get converted to an ereader, but the Nook has completely changed my way of thinking! I don't go anywhere without it! :)

message 25: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (krististern) I'm that way now with my Kindle but every time I see the color Nook, I stare just a little longer, LOL!
I seriously never go anywhere without my Kindle, it's always with me.
My Birthday's coming up in April but I'm sure my hubby's head would spin if I told him I wanted a nook.
Plus, I have over 600 books on my Kindle? I guess I could just start a new book shelve, kind of, right?

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) Sure! You would have some books on your Kindle and some on your Nook. I still use both my Nooks. You could do the same and use both devices.

I NEVER go anywhere without my Nook. I even pick my purse based on my Nook fitting inside.

message 27: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (krististern) LOL, you're to cute, Suzy! Plus, you'd make a heck of a marketing agench for them!!!

message 28: by Tish (new)

Tish (paradiseisalibrary) | 33 comments The Nook color seems cool but I think it'd be too much like reading from my computer screen. That's what makes me shy away from them. I'd rather have the e-ink because it's more like a book for me. Plus I can't find a reason why I'd need color. I mean sure some of my books have illustrations but they're all in black and white. The color would be good for children's books but I don't have kids so lol I think I'm far too loyal to Amazon to consider a Nook. haha

message 29: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (krististern) Tish, that is exactly what I've always said!
But..... the color is getting to me. What can I say, I'm a gadget queen!

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) I'm turning into a gadget fanatic! Now on to a new phone! LOL! It took me forever to get out of the stone ages. Now I'm going crazy.

message 31: by Tish (new)

Tish (paradiseisalibrary) | 33 comments lol Yeah I know how you feel Kristi. I lovvve gadgets. Though I think I'll probably be able to resist... haha

message 32: by TiffBurlin (new)

TiffBurlin | 8 comments Def the Nook! That is for sure :) its amazing! Even tho the nook color is nice, i have a ipad does everything the color can. Love the nook my favorite little gadget!

message 33: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Turner (ladybugt15) | 32 comments Well, I have the Kindle and I absolutly LOVE IT!!!!!! and for the other kindle fans there is a new site that just started that is allowing you to find the books that you want to barrow easier. You just go on there and post the books you have to lend and the books you want to read and you will be put on a list for a lend. It's really cool!!!!! www.kindlelendingclub.com

message 34: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Turner (ladybugt15) | 32 comments Tish wrote: "The Nook color seems cool but I think it'd be too much like reading from my computer screen. That's what makes me shy away from them. I'd rather have the e-ink because it's more like a book for me...."

I totaly agree with you on that. I have tried to read on the nook but it gave me a headache

message 35: by Kogepam (new)

Kogepam | 9 comments I have Kindle and it has been OK....I'm on my second one since last October because the first one took a poop. I had lots of issues with screen freezes. The customer service at Amazon has been AMAZING though. I called to get a replacement and it was on my doorstep THE NEXT DAY. Very impressive!

message 36: by Christine (new)

Christine Kersey | 4 comments I have the nook color and love it! I had the 3G nook before but had to upgrade once I saw the color. I set the background to grey and dim the backlighting and it looks a lot like eInk. One thing I really like about the nook is that you can get library books on it.

message 37: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiebayne) Summer wrote: "Which one do you prefer?"

I don't have either, but I do know that the Nook allows you to borrow/download books from libraries and the Kindle doesn't. So if you are a library user and want to continue the practice with ebooks the Nook is the way to go. Amazon's software doesn't play well with others right now so it doesn't work with any of the downloadable platforms libraries use. Nook, Sony, Ipad, etc. all do as far as I know.

message 38: by Francie (last edited Apr 26, 2011 09:48PM) (new)

Francie (love_francie) I have the Nook color, and I just love it!! Of course, I seem to have a bad habit of shopping for more books when I should be consternating on the ones I already own. However, I only buy my favorite series in regular books. I need more Nook friends so we I can borrow books.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

You know, I find myself doing the same thing! I have a Nook Color too, and even if I'm in the middle of a book, I'll use the shop to buy more. The 99 cent books are just too good of a deal to pass up haha :) I do get duds with that sometimes though...

message 40: by Jen (new)

Jen (baynej) | 169 comments I don't have either, but my mom's got a nook that I can access from my android phone and I find it great! I don't know a lot about the kindle, but I really enjoy the features on the nook.

message 41: by Amanda (last edited Apr 27, 2011 11:14AM) (new)

Amanda (amonika) It has been announced that Kindle will be getting the ePub software (the library ebooks). Here is an article:

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/ar...

I find it fascinating what the ebooks are doing to literary world. It will be interesting to see how they change the way libraries operate.

message 42: by Whitney (new)

Whitney I have the regular old Nook with wi-fi and 3G. I debated a long time between the Nook and the Kindle, knowing that the Kindle has gotten better reviews but that it doesn't support library books. So in the end that point won out, and I got the Nook. But now of course the Kindle is going to get library access! In the end, though, I'm happy with my Nook and it works as well as I imagine any e-reader can at this point in its history.

message 43: by Bethany (new)

Bethany I just bought a nook color and I totally love it. My husband has a kindle and as an e-reader it's ok, but for browsing it' s really tedious. The fact that the nook has a touch screen is, for me, what puts it way over the kindle.

message 44: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Draper | 76 comments I have an iPad for browsing, etc - and I can also read on it with the Kindle App - so if I use that if I need more "features". For just READING though? I absolutely prefer my Kindle. It's awesome. I love the ease of use, the free 3G, the simplicity. I do a lot of reading outdoors (I have three kids who are always at a soccer field, a riding arena, or at the pool) - and the e-ink has been great. I like the fact that there is no glare and it reads just like a book.

I'm a kindle fan all the way!!

Add all of the above to the fact that Amazon has INCREDIBLE service, and I'm completely loyal.

(And I often wonder if Barnes and Noble will be around for the long haul. All of their flagship stores are slowly packing it in... Amazon has a solid presence online.)

message 45: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Haha...totally. i know what you mean...I reeeally wanted an ipad, but the nook color was cheaper. But, I love it. I wish it could download a bit better. Sometimes I want to watch a video and that annoying 'does not support' message pops up. Thats really my only complaint.

message 46: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Well, I can watch small videos, but I was trying to watch episodes of the office on hulu and it told me something along the lines of - your system will not support this blah, blah, blah. When did you upgrade and how? I just bought my NC. I don't think I've even had it two full weeks. They didn't tell me anyting about upgrades, the jerks.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Bethany, mine just upgraded by itself. I looked at it a couple nights ago, and it was all like "upgrade in process". Which is awesome because now I can download apps! Yay! Games! I think there's a way to get the new version without waiting for the NC to automatically upgrade.

message 48: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (writer9) Neither. Ipad.

message 49: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 2 comments Kindle <3

message 50: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1 comments I have the original kindle and LOVE it!!!! I like that when reading from it, it looks like a book page and not a computer screen

« previous 1