Does Providence Read? discussion

Is this group still active? :-)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne Cedroni | 24 comments I recently joined goodreads and I just happened upon this group. There doesn't seem to be much activity but I thought I would take the chance anyway.
Meanwhile, I already belong to two book clubs, both of them meet in Providence. It's always nice to talk to other readers.
Thank you!

message 2: by Mr_English (new)

Mr_English | 4 comments Providence does read but this group needs a better moderator. It's up to you Rosanne. Can you bring out the readers in all of us?

message 3: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne Cedroni | 24 comments Yikes! I don't even know what a moderator does, so I'd probably be a poor choice, ha!ha!

Oh yes, I'm also an avid fan of bookcrossing - I have registered over 1,000 books (but sadly, very few people find my books...oh well, I'm not giving up!)

Other than that I also like to have books recommended to me (not promising that I'll read them, that is...)

Hopefully, other people will jump in :-)
thank you for responding,
rosanne

message 4: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) | 63 comments Yes, please Rosanne. I have belonged to this group for a while now, but it is awfully quiet!

message 5: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne Cedroni | 24 comments Hello Michelle,

I'm still trying to get the hang of this site. I don't want to join too many groups because then I loose track! I've tried to email the moderator of this group but so far he hasn't answered. That's OK, I know how hard it is to keep up with everything these days.

Are you in any other reading group on this site? Have they been helpful?

Thanks for responding!

message 6: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) | 63 comments Rosanne, As time allows I try to be as active as possible..I am a member of a few groups: Constant Reader, Victorians!, 1001 Books you Must Read Before You Die and a few others. How about yourself?

I personally enjoy the groupreads - I like the shared experience and also reading what others have thought about a book.

If the moderator for this group has not responded perhaps it might be time for a new one! I know what you mean about joining too many groups - but I definitely would love one that is geared towards those in my geographic area.

message 7: by Mr_English (new)

Mr_English | 4 comments What is everyone (Providence) reading now?

message 8: by Rosanne (last edited Mar 05, 2011 08:56AM) (new)

Rosanne Cedroni | 24 comments Hello! Hello!

I've been on jury duty (which gave me a lot of time to read :-)but I'm afraid I haven't been active on line for a while.

HOWEVER, I've discovered some great things happening around Providence for book lovers. Last night I went to a lecture at the Providence Athenaeum. They've got quite a calendar of activities, many events are open to the public, who knew??

This afternoon I'm going to the downtown public library to hear a lecture by Gordon Wood (an award winning historian) and that is also free.

I have to say, I'm quite impressed by the enthusiasm for books and ideas in our fair little city :-)

By the way, I'm reading "Vanity Fair" by Thackery. Some of it is slow going but I'm enjoying it immensely.

Love to hear what others are reading!
thanks!

message 9: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) | 63 comments I too have been off-line - that darn job thing! I am reading Harriet and Isabella - it is just ok. Hoping to start Doctor Zhivago

message 10: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne Cedroni | 24 comments ooooh! Dr. Zhivago! I could really go for that. Alas! I'm so behind in my reading that I can't promise when I can get to it.

My book club met for "Vanity Fair" and I wasn't able to make it :-(. I posted for a book buddy but I think it's going to be a hard sell, ha!ha! I'm half way finished and I'm determined... well... we'll see...

good hearing from you!

message 11: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) | 63 comments Funny story - I put Dr. Zhivago on hold at my library, when I went to pick it up it was the Russian version. Forgot to even look to make sure it was the translated version when I went online - lesson learned! So I will start when that arrives.
Vanity Fair normally would be a perfect match for me...I need more time to read!

message 12: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) | 63 comments Mr_English wrote: "What is everyone (Providence) reading now?"

What are you reading now?

message 13: by Mr_English (new)

Mr_English | 4 comments MichelleCH wrote: "Mr_English wrote: "What is everyone (Providence) reading now?"

What are you reading now?"

Sorry, I can't believe it's been too long. I'm reading, "The Portrait of Dorian Gray" and should have been required reading in high school but wasn't. It should be in the young persons manifest.

What about yourself?

message 14: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne Cedroni | 24 comments I always have a few books going! One book that I'm reading for my history book club is "Freedom from Fear" by David Kennedy. The chapters I'm reading so far are on the Great Depression - wow, it puts a lot in perspective!

message 15: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) | 63 comments Mr_English wrote: "MichelleCH wrote: "Mr_English wrote: "What is everyone (Providence) reading now?"

What are you reading now?"

Sorry, I can't believe it's been too long. I'm reading, "The Portrait of Dorian Gray" ..."

Daniel Derondaand The Sunne in Splendour - both very different but satisfying reads!

message 16: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) | 63 comments Charly wrote: "Should we start a "What are you reading?" thread?" good idea!