What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Themes in Science Fiction: A Journey Into Wonder
This topic is about Themes in Science Fiction
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. SF story w humans as pets for aliens [s]

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex | 7 comments Im looking for a collection of SF short stories I read in the mid to late 1970's.

One story involved humans who (we learn, are descendants of explorers who had been marooned on an alien planet. Humans were now pets or beasts of burdens to the smaller aliens who sold them, rode them like we do animals. Eventually one of the humans discovers that the human spaceship his ancestors arrived in is still serviceable, and set to automatically return to Earth.

Anther story involves a future where wars between governments are fought by a small (like 100 men)in an arena and viewed on TV. The side with the last survivor wins. That survivor is then the ultimate hero basically given anything he wants by his government and people since he saves the government billions of dollars and millions of lives

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments I think I read this, but no idea of what it was. I'm honestly wondering if one of my unsolveds is in there? It feels familiar, like it might have been in that collection...

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

message 3: by MB (What she read) (last edited Jan 25, 2011 03:57PM) (new)

MB (What she read) | 136 comments I doubt this is it, but just in case...

The first one's plot sounds similar to The Mount by Carol Emshwiller. I haven't read it myself however. It is a novel, not a short story.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex | 7 comments MB wrote: "I doubt this is it, but just in case...

The first one's plot sounds similar to The Mount by Carol Emshwiller. I haven't read it myself however. It is a novel, not a short story."

No I read The Mount and it's not the story I'm trying to find. You are correct in that the concept of aliens riding humans as beasts of burden exists in the story. Its pretty good in in it's own right too. Thanks for ttrying!

message 5: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (queentess) | 9 comments I really don't know, but it looks like someone else is looking for the same book

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Danielle wrote: "I really don't know, but it looks like someone else is looking for the same book

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3..."

Danielle, Thanks for noticing this. I put a link to this thread in that one. That way, if it is the same book, if one is found, both will be found.

message 7: by Sgakaz (new)

Sgakaz | 5 comments Alex wrote: "Im looking for a collection of SF short stories I read in the mid to late 1970's.

One story involved humans who (we learn, are descendants of explorers who had been marooned on an alien planet. ..."

I remember seeing an animation with this theme I wonder if that was based on a book wish I could remember what it was called.

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2104 comments Alex wrote: "Im looking for a collection of SF short stories I read in the mid to late 1970's.

One story involved humans who (we learn, are descendants of explorers who had been marooned on an alien planet. Hu..."

The second one sounds like "The Survivor" by Walter Moudy. Here's a list of places it's been collected
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cg...

message 9: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Grobbelaar (dirkg) | 9 comments It also sounds at least a bit like The Dragon Masters: The Definitive Edition of the Hugo - Award Winning Novel, where aliens ride around on humans after having enslaved them etc.

message 10: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dyarch) | 139 comments I believe the first one is The Silk and the Song by Charles L. Fontenay. Here is the complete story in PDF (it's out of copyright):

generation.feedbooks.com/book/2290.pdf

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex | 7 comments Dylan wrote: "I believe the first one is The Silk and the Song by Charles L. Fontenay. Here is the complete story in PDF (it's out of copyright):

generation.feedbooks.com/book/2290.pdf"

Yes!!! That's it. Thanks Dylan for posting this! I've been looking for it for years. Gotta love the internet and this site!

message 12: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2104 comments Alex,

Did you see my proposed answer for your other story (about the wars fought in an arena)? I really think it's "The Survivor" by Walter Moudy - here's some links to some descriptions of the story

http://like-the-hunger-games.blogspot...

http://io9.com/walter-f%27-moudy/

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex | 7 comments Andy

Bingo! Yes thank you. "The Survivor" by Walter Moudy is the story I was looking for. Wow I hadn't logged in to the site in months and imagine my surprise to learn both of the stories had been identified. Thanks again!

message 14: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2104 comments Alex wrote: "Andy

Bingo! Yes thank you. "The Survivor" by Walter Moudy is the story I was looking for. Wow I hadn't logged in to the site in months and imagine my surprise to learn both of the stories had been..."

Excellent!

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex | 7 comments Dylan wrote: "I believe the first one is The Silk and the Song by Charles L. Fontenay. Here is the complete story in PDF (it's out of copyright):

generation.feedbooks.com/book/2290.pdf"

Hey Dylan, Just curious but how do you know when a work is out of copyright?

message 16: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dyarch) | 139 comments In general, on the rare occasion I care to look up a copyright I'll just check the obvious sources - Gutenberg to see if they've posted it, Google Books/Amazon for the copyright page, Wikipedia for the relevant laws, etc. There's probably a better way.

For this particular story, I do not remember and my past self may well have been incorrect. The source says it's from Gutenberg, but it's not actually on there now that I check.

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex | 7 comments Ok...Thanks!

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Here's information on a collection that has "The Silk and the Song" in it. Perhaps the titles of the other stories will click with you.

Here, There and Elsewhen, Volume 2: The Solar System and Beyond Charles L. Fontenay (Royal Fireworks Press 0-88092-501-9, 2001, $14.99, 187pp, tp, cover by Jason Lewis) Collection of nine SF stories, the second in a “definitive” collection of the short fiction of Charles L. Fontenay. Order from Royal Fireworks Publishing, First Avenue, Box 399, Unionville, NY 10988; 845-726-4444; add $4.00 shipping.

1 · Escape Velocity · nv If Oct ’54
30 · Blow the Man Down · nv If Mar ’55
54 · Wind · ss Amazing Apr ’59
73 · The Heart’s Long Wait · ss Flying Saucers Oct ’57
86 · Mariwite · ss Fantastic Nov ’60
105 · Poor Crazy One [“The Strangest Man in the Universe”] · nv Other Worlds Science Stories Feb ’56
139 · The Silk and the Song · nv F&SF Jul ’56
173 · The Last Brave Invader · ss If Aug ’57
183 · Service with a Smile · vi If Jun ’58

message 19: by Alex (new)

Alex | 7 comments Kate wrote: "Here's information on a collection that has "The Silk and the Song" in it. Perhaps the titles of the other stories will click with you.

Here, There and Elsewhen, Volume 2: The Solar System and Be..."

Actually I found the collection on the list Andy had posted. "Themes in Sicence Fiction" Leo P Kelley 1972. It contains both the stories I was looking for.

I appreciate the this list you provided though. Some of those 1950's Sci Fi stories are great and truly imaginative I think. Thanks!