Mr. Seibert's Reading Class discussion

Chapters 18-20

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mr. Seibert (new)

Mr. Seibert Seibert (aseibert) | 67 comments Mod
Hey all- I hope your days were great and that you had a productive beginning to the week. Post here tonight for chapters 18, 19 and 20. Please respond to each of the questions--I'm looking forward to your responses and insights.

message 2: by Mr. Seibert (new)

As we learn Atticus was assigned this case and therefore had to defend Tom. However, it is the WAY that he defends Tom that tells us a great deal about his character.

Use specific examples from the text to talk about the way in which Atticus is working on this case. What do his actions tell us about him as a person--specifically as it relates to integrity? What would you do if you were in Atticus' position?

message 3: by Mr. Seibert (last edited Jan 24, 2011 02:12PM) (new)

What character do you think requires the most courage during the trial? Explain your answer and give specific examples to support what you think.

What is a time that you needed a great deal of courage in your life? What ended up happening?

message 4: by Havelyn (new)

Havelyn (MiaBooBaby) | 69 comments As we learn Atticus was assigned this case and therefore had to defend Tom. However, it is the WAY that he defends Tom that tells us a great deal about his character.

Use specific examples from the text to talk about the way in which Atticus is working on this case. What do his actions tell us about him as a person--specifically as it relates to integrity? What would you do if you were in Atticus' position?

Atticus is a very usual type of person who in which is always full of surpises. In the trail/case with Tom Atticus was calm, and naturally influential without intimidating the supposely victum. One thing in that case that surpised me was how he questioned her. He was gentle, but not only that very polite. This concludes that Atticus has a get amount of integrity because even though he was suppose to be agaisnt the witness/vitcum he address then as if they were important people. That's unsual because I don't know alot of people who would be nice to a person that they are agaisnt. If I were in Atticus position I would do the same because of the fact that this could start to blacks and white togther. That's fancisnating to me because to think I was a part or a step to changing the lives we live.

message 5: by Havelyn (new)

Havelyn (MiaBooBaby) | 69 comments What character do you think requires the most courage during the trial? Explain your answer and give specific examples to support what you think.

What is a time that you needed a great deal of courage in your life? What ended up happening?

During the trail Atticus had te most courage. I believe this because Atticus was the one who had to stand up infront of his peers, family, and a jury defending a black man. He is white also and back then they were very racist. Black and white couldn't get along. The had enough courage to question the girl about who raped her and beat her. The time I needed a great encouragement in my life was when I was 10 years old. I told my daddy that I couldn't do this paragraph essay it's to hard. My daddy responded and said, "You can do anything you want to do, be anybody you want to be, and be you if you put your mind. What happen was I ended up doing my paragraph and passes with an A+.

message 6: by Anson (new)

Anson Blackburn | 39 comments Mr. Seibert wrote: "As we learn Atticus was assigned this case and therefore had to defend Tom. However, it is the WAY that he defends Tom that tells us a great deal about his character.

Use specific examples from t..."

The way Atticus is Working on this case is a mix.He is smiling like almost look like he is having funwith it .But at the some time he is very serious.Also with the question he ask her made her stumble and studer.Hes like imtemidaying her but at the same time being all calm.Many lawyers use this tactic.Not being strict and mean-mug and all.If i was in Atticus's position i would use the same tactic too.Its getting the facts directly but show the jury that your not going to hard on her.

message 7: by Anson (new)

Anson Blackburn | 39 comments Havelyn wrote: "As we learn Atticus was assigned this case and therefore had to defend Tom. However, it is the WAY that he defends Tom that tells us a great deal about his character.

Use specific examples from..."

Umm havelyn you spelled surprise wrong.You forgotto put a R in it.You can thank me later at school.

message 8: by Anson (new)

Anson Blackburn | 39 comments Mr. Seibert wrote: "What character do you think requires the most courage during the trial? Explain your answer and give specific examples to support what you think.

What is a time that you needed a great deal of co..."

I think that mayella could require the most courage.After what had happened she might not feel comfortable expaining what had happen.Also she could use courage to tell what had really happened ,not just telling lies to make the story more real.the time when I had use courage was when i was 9 years old. my dad wanted to teach me how to swim in 8 feet.I was young but saw younger kids jumping in 8 feet.I use courage to jump in the deep water and got taught.By my courage, I know how to swim in any deep water.And also if my new high school has a Swim team i am gonna try out.

message 9: by Shyen (new)

Shyen Hardiman (ShyenHardiman) | 56 comments Mr. Seibert wrote: "What character do you think requires the most courage during the trial? Explain your answer and give specific examples to support what you think.

I think Atticus had the most courage because ,Since he was white and he was sticking up for a African-American. He was showing a great amount of courage.

A time i had to show a great amount of courage was when i was in the 6th grade and i was in the Talent Show. One of the younger girls in the 2nd grade had stage fright, I had to go up on the stage in front of everybody and help her with her dance. I have stage fright and I got up there with out and rehersal.

message 10: by Nyree (new)

Nyree Modisette (nyreemodisette12348) | 63 comments Mr. Seibert wrote: "As we learn Atticus was assigned this case and therefore had to defend Tom. However, it is the WAY that he defends Tom that tells us a great deal about his character.

I would say during this case, Atticus was being a real man and sacfricing alot for his family and the Maycomb people. One word I can say Atticus was during this case was powerful. I use this word to describe Atticus because of his actions and dialogue in the story. For one, Atticus used strong evidence during the case. His evidence and questioning of the witnesses came together perfectly . Also, you can tell that Atticus was hitting the good spot during the case because the witnesses were becoming uneasy up on the stand. Also, Atticus's speech was very powerful. The speech was explaining about how several people say that we the people are equal, but we aren't equal because we have our differences. Atticus's speech was very powerful and reminded me of a speech from Obama or Martin Luther King. It was truly a compelling and inspirational speech. As a person, I can conclude that Atticus is a person who will always do what is right. Atticus showed this when he didn't try to cheat or find an easier way to get his information during the case. If I were in Atticus position, I would have done the same thing as Atticus. I would work day and night to be successful during the case. I would also be fair with the witnesses and show integrity at all times. I will try my very best to help Tom Robinson not be charged for a crime that was not caused by himself; just like what Atticus tried to do.

message 11: by Nyree (new)

Nyree Modisette (nyreemodisette12348) | 63 comments Mr. Seibert wrote: "What character do you think requires the most courage during the trial? Explain your answer and give specific examples to support what you think.

I believe Tom Robinson should have had the most courage during the trial. I say this because he was really the main person who was up on the line of being sent to prison for a crime not committed by hisself. For example, Tom was up on the stand and was frighten alittle by Mr. Gimer. Mr. Gimer was slightly harassing Tom on the stand and embarrassing him in front of the people at the trial. Mr. Gimer did this by calling him "boy" and getting loud with him. I felt this was disrespectful towards Tom, but, of course, Mr. Gimer did not care. Also, Tom was a Negro being charged by a white man. Who wouldn't need courage and support during that time? I know I would. Tom was trying to fight his very best to prove hisself right. Being a Negro on trial is not a good thing for any black person during this time because it was a 90% chance that that Negro will end up in prison or killed. This is sad and unjustice, but this was the law during this time period. I have been put in a situation where I needed courage to help me make the right choices. The situation dealt with my father and my mother. My father does not live with me right now. I do not see him often either. I had to choose between living with my mother or my father. I was only twelve years old at the time. I had to have courage to make the right choice for my future. Therefore, I thought long and hard on what to do. I knew that I have been with my mother for half of my life, and she has taken good care of me. Though, my father hasn't seen me since I was six months, and I thought it would not be fair if I do not let him have a chance to take care of me too. My courage during this time came from my heart. My heart told me to live with my mother and visit my father because my mother has much more to offer than my father does. My father had to get on his feet before he tried to take care of me. I am very appreciative that I listened to my heart because now, I am a very happy teenager who wants to be successful in her future generations.

message 12: by Nyree (new)

Nyree Modisette (nyreemodisette12348) | 63 comments Havelyn wrote: "As we learn Atticus was assigned this case and therefore had to defend Tom. However, it is the WAY that he defends Tom that tells us a great deal about his character.

Use specific examples from..."
I truly agree with you, Havelyn. I love your comment, and I believe you are changing the world by being a great example for the young people in Gary who do not have the opportunities that we have. You are the future's change, and I am not the only person who sees this.

message 13: by Nyree (new)

Nyree Modisette (nyreemodisette12348) | 63 comments Anson wrote: "Mr. Seibert wrote: "What character do you think requires the most courage during the trial? Explain your answer and give specific examples to support what you think.

What is a time that you nee..."
I do agree with you, Anson. You make a great point and your evidence supports your thought perfectly. You are an amazing gentlemen, and that is really good that you have such courage to do a bold thing at that type of age.

message 14: by D'onte (new)

D'onte Montague | 41 comments Mr. Seibert wrote: "As we learn Atticus was assigned this case and therefore had to defend Tom. However, it is the WAY that he defends Tom that tells us a great deal about his character.

atticus is handling this case very well in my opinion.he is working at a slow pace building up to his climax.making the small things obvious like that the person who beat miss ewells was left handed and tom' in decapitated unable of function.he tried to appeal to the good sense of the people and thoughts like at the end of chapter 20 when he was talking about how thomas jefferson said that in america all men are set to be created as equals no matter what race.(this was great use of allusion).atticus shows compassion for all clients and people he loves who will let him and that makes him great.if i were in atticus's shoes i wouldnt of handled it exactly the same.

message 15: by D'onte (new)

D'onte Montague | 41 comments Mr. Seibert wrote: "What character do you think requires the most courage during the trial? Explain your answer and give specific examples to support what you think.

i think in this case dill had the most courage.he had the courage to express his opinion in a way which it was clear to come across.he had courage to cry and let his emotions come out in front of the girls he likes.he had the courage to show his disgust about the prosecutor.he had the courage to show realization f the fact that blacks are people to and should be treated with equal respect as whites.
a time in my life that i can remember when i had to brave is when i accidently through a rock in my neibors window i had to tell my mom and face the consequences.

message 16: by Havelyn (new)

Havelyn (MiaBooBaby) | 69 comments Thank you Anson for the corrections, I learned from my mistake. You also put forgot and to together to let you know. Thanks Nyree, you set the example for me that's why I stepped up, so you are an inspiration. D'Onte I love your comment about Dill because that played a huge part in those chapters.