Highlander Romance discussion

Outstanding Cover Art

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by taita (new)

taita | 33 comments Is it just me, or do others think this book cover Dangerous Highlander (Dark Sword, #1) by Donna Grant is outstanding? Not too mushy, dated, or overly bulky... Verra nice.

If you have a favorite book cover, please post here. Hail to good cover artists (and models)!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

taita wrote: "Is it just me, or do others think this book cover Dangerous Highlander (Dark Sword, #1) by Donna Grant is outstanding? Not too mushy, dated, or overly bulky... Verra nice.

I agree completely with your observation !!!!!

message 3: by Dani (new)

Dani | 53 comments Yes, tis a bonnie book cover, but let me research this for a bit. :-)

taita wrote: "Is it just me, or do others think this book cover Dangerous Highlander (Dark Sword, #1) by Donna Grant is outstanding? Not too mushy, dated, or overly bulky... Verra nice.

If you have a favorite book cover..."

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Didn't like this book... (it was a DNF for me) but I love the cover Highland Obsession by Dawn Halliday

message 5: by taita (new)

taita | 33 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Didn't like this book... (it was a DNF for me) but I love the cover Highland Obsession by Dawn Halliday"

Nice! I realize that I tend to the ones that look more realistic and less of a painting. I also don't particularly like seeing the female love interest portrayed - most likely because I definitely don't look like any of them. Ha Ha!

Laura the Highland Hussy (Highlandhussy) | 654 comments I have a funny book cover story

When I was asked by my publisher what kind of cover I wanted Highland Destiny to have, I filled out a 4 page questionnaire. And then they asked me if I had any examples of covers I liked...I sent her 5 covers...these:

Moon Craving (Children of the Moon, #2) by Lucy Monroe Forbidden Highlander (Dark Sword, #2) by Donna Grant Highlander Unchained (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #3) by Monica McCarty The Immortal Highlander (Highlander, #6) by Karen Marie Moning Highland Magic (Druid's Glen, #5) by Donna Grant

I think that these are my faves.
Although Highland Obssession is a beautiful cover. Wow. It's a shame that it was a dnf :(

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth Grenfell | 4 comments Honestly, I haven't seen any romance novels with a cover that suits my tastes. The hunk on the front is always well toned but not rugged enough for my liking nor do they resemble what I imagine a highlander to look like. They'r always shaved too clean looking.

message 8: by Antoinette (last edited Mar 22, 2011 11:16AM) (new)

Antoinette (httpwwwantoinettelaforcecom) | 3 comments WOW !!! The HIGHLAND DESTINY cover got me to want to read the book even knowing nothing about it ! HIM !!!---YUM, and purrrrrrrrrrr !!!

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne (Spartandax) | 99 comments Taita, I agree with you. I like a well built man, but do not like over bulked physiques, like the ones body builders have. Some of the book's covers go to far IMHO.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 6 comments I just wish they didnt chop the heads off! :(

message 11: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 287 comments I would have to say that Ravished by a Highlander (Children Of The Mist, #1) by Paula Quinn, Must Love Kilts by Allie Mackay, The Chief (Highland Guard, #1) by Monica McCarty are really good covers. I would have to say that Ravished by a Highlander is my fave. Out of the 3 Highland Guard novels by Monica McCarty, The Chief is my favorite.

message 12: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 287 comments I almost forgot, but of course how could I Highland Destiny by Laura 'Highland Hussy' Hunsaker. Great cover. ;)

Laura the Highland Hussy (Highlandhussy) | 654 comments aww, thanks :) I'm kinda partial to that one too :P

Laura the Highland Hussy (Highlandhussy) | 654 comments Antoinette wrote: "WOW !!! The HIGHLAND DESTINY cover got me to want to read the book even knowing nothing about it ! HIM !!!---YUM, and purrrrrrrrrrr !!!"

thanks! and thanks to Kiki and Jocelin :)

message 15: by Anne (new)

Anne (Spartandax) | 99 comments Me too Sandi. It reminds me of a horse calendar I have where a picture of a horse had his ears chopped off-LOL. Maybe they thing we should put ouw own idea there of a face.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 6 comments Anne wrote: "Me too Sandi. It reminds me of a horse calendar I have where a picture of a horse had his ears chopped off-LOL. Maybe they thing we should put ouw own idea there of a face."

I wonder Anne if its a "cost issue" in the publishing part, would you know? I feel if I have to spend $10.00-11.00 dollars for a book I want all of him! I think thats only fair:)

Laura the Highland Hussy (Highlandhussy) | 654 comments Sandi wrote: "Anne wrote: "Me too Sandi. It reminds me of a horse calendar I have where a picture of a horse had his ears chopped off-LOL. Maybe they thing we should put ouw own idea there of a face."

I wonde..."

I'm pretty sure that they want us to gaze upon the magnificence of the hero's abs o' steel. :)

I think they pay the model the same whether they use his head or not.

But I think I like Anne's idea that we're supposed to put our own concept of his face on the hot bod

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 6 comments Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "Sandi wrote: "Anne wrote: "Me too Sandi. It reminds me of a horse calendar I have where a picture of a horse had his ears chopped off-LOL. Maybe they thing we should put ouw own idea there of a fac..."

Your probably right...and sometimes that works out better.. as some cover models faces just dont work sometimes..

Laura the Highland Hussy (Highlandhussy) | 654 comments Sandi wrote: "Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "Sandi wrote: "Anne wrote: "Me too Sandi. It reminds me of a horse calendar I have where a picture of a horse had his ears chopped off-LOL. Maybe they thing we should ..."

I'm eating salad and just choked on a crouton because I was laughing at that! Its true! Haven't you ever seen a bookcover and though:That's what they want us to think the hero looks like. Really?

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 6 comments Whats worse is when your just getting into the book and the hunky guy on front has long black hair but in the book he is discribed as blonde & short hair! Grrrr...ya..III take the chopped off head!

message 21: by Anne (new)

Anne (Spartandax) | 99 comments I'll have to go back to one i read a few months back, I think it was Donna Fletcher, at least i hope so-I loved the guy on the cover. If i find it, I will let you know.

message 22: by Anne (new)

Anne (Spartandax) | 99 comments I found it-"The Highlander's Bride" by Donna Fletcher. I don't know how to show it here. if someone else does, feel free to post it.

Laura the Highland Hussy (Highlandhussy) | 654 comments Go to the little tan colored "addbook/author" and type in book title, then click either a link or cover
The Highlander's Bride by Donna Fletcher

message 24: by Anne (new)

Anne (Spartandax) | 99 comments Thanks, Laura!!!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 6 comments Oh yes...nice cover..Do others here like a "full" cover.. of Hero & Herione? or would you rather just have the guy,headless or not? It seems these covers are becoming less & less..and all the "abs" are starting to look the same to me..even sometimes the same model on one book beside the other!

message 26: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited Apr 06, 2011 04:37PM) (new)

Laura the Highland Hussy (Highlandhussy) | 654 comments I think it depends on the type of book. This is one of my favorite bookcovers (it's paranormal) Vampire in Her Mysts by Meagan Hatfield

But lately I've noticed a big trend in Historical romances set in England or during the Regency are bringing back the male/female covers, or a woman in a gorgeous dress.
How to Marry a Duke by Vicky Dreiling How to Wed a Baron by Kasey Michaels

Our Highlanders get swords though :)

Laird of Darkness by Nicole North

But what about this cover?
The Perfect Play (Play by Play, #1) by Jaci Burton

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 6 comments Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "I think it depends on the type of book. This is one of my favorite bookcovers (it's paranormal) Vampire in Her Mysts by Meagan Hatfield

But lately I've noticed a big trend in Historical romances ..."

I wonder why that is? all the older "Highlander" romance books have the couple on the front ( 70's 80's and early 90's..I love that paranormal cover Laura!

message 28: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 287 comments Kiki Silk wrote: "Anything with Jimmy Thomas on it floats my boat!!!! He my Hunk of the week - go see: http://madamedsboudoir.blogspot.com/"

Good-looking blogspot, I love b/w photos. :)

message 29: by Anne (new)

Anne (Spartandax) | 99 comments May I ask you a question about covers? I have noticed that most if not all of the bare chested men have no chest hair. Now I do not like a hairy ape of a man, but still want some hair on his chest. I doubt if the men in the Highlands shaved their chests-LOL! Some of the authors talk about the heroine curling his chest hairs around her fingers. Not how will she do that with the no hair guys???

message 30: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited Apr 27, 2011 11:04AM) (new)

Laura the Highland Hussy (Highlandhussy) | 654 comments OMGsh! I am cracking up at that! lol
I am doing a guest blog over at reading between the wines book club, and I actually comment about that! too funny!

I got lucky that my publisher asked for my input on my cover, but I know that a lot of authors have little to no input. How often have you found a book where the heroine is a redhead, but on the cover, she's blonde or brunette? I think it depends on the publisher and what they think sells the best.

But youre right about the waxed chest look-I don't know why the men can't have at least a little bit of hair...like a happy trail, or something.

David Hasselhoff said it best: "It looks like the men's hair got scared off their chest and ran to hide under their arms!" lol

message 31: by Xia (new)

Xia (XiaT) | 107 comments Anne wrote: "May I ask you a question about covers? I have noticed that most if not all of the bare chested men have no chest hair. Now I do not like a hairy ape of a man, but still want some hair on his chest...."

LOL. I've actually never thought about it until now.

message 32: by Monica (new)

Monica | 5 comments HAHAHA.. Well Anne I think I will never look at the cover of a book the same..;) I really have never thought about it but rest assured I will be thinking of this post every time I see a new cover (well one with a sexy hairless man) hehehe.

Laura the Highland Hussy (Highlandhussy) | 654 comments Monica wrote: "HAHAHA.. Well Anne I think I will never look at the cover of a book the same..;) I really have never thought about it but rest assured I will be thinking of this post every time I see a new cover (..."

LOL

message 34: by Anne (new)

Anne (Spartandax) | 99 comments I do not like gobs of chest hair. But to me, a man without any is somehow not as manly. JMOHO!

message 35: by James (new)

James Loftus I like the cover of my new book:
https://www.amazon.com/Sword-Thistle-...