Classics for Beginners discussion

Old Monthly Group Reads > The Secret Garden Film

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle We are starting on 1st Feb, feel free to wonder and predict what it has been about. I know there is a film of the book, has anyone seen it?

message 2: by Diana (new)

Diana | 11 comments I have seen the movie before, but, like most movies, they changed some things.

message 3: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle I hate that they do that Grrrr...

message 4: by Marts (last edited Jan 24, 2011 10:22AM) (new)

Marts  (Thinker) (thinkersutopia) I've seen this film, actually I thought it pretty enjoyable, yes of course a few changes but I think negligible, one of the few movies where I didn't mind the changes. I also read the book, but quite a long time ago...I'll try to make the group read...

message 5: by Florbela (new)

Florbela (flor) I've seen the film a long time ago and I don't remember all the details, so I'm quite anxious to start reading the book :)

message 6: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) It seems like in book discussions lately it is better to keep the discussion and thoughts of the movies completely separate from the book discussion. Start with a clean slate, so to speak. With a beautifully written book like The Secret Garden that might work especially best. Or to keep film discussion in a completely separate thread.

Just my suggestion, this idea may not interest anyone at all, no problem.

message 7: by Daria (new)

Daria (dariadeptula) I read The Secret Garden when I was 9, I'll have to re-read it because I don't remember much.

message 8: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle SarahC wrote: "It seems like in book discussions lately it is better to keep the discussion and thoughts of the movies completely separate from the book discussion. Start with a clean slate, so to speak. With a..."

good idea

message 9: by Stacy Renee (new)

Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit) (stacyrenee) | 2 comments I owned the movie as a kid and absolutely adored it. I always found it to be full of wonder, magic and intrigue. I read the book and watched the movie again recently and found the movie to be just as wonderful as it was when I was little. Most movies that I re-watch years later lose their touch, but this one still had all of it's wonder and more. Both the book and movie are timeless.

message 10: by Danni (new)

Danni (danninella) I love the book and I haven´t seen the movie in a long time, but as I remember it I really liked it.

Even though it disturbs me when they change the story line of a book a lot to make a film, I don´t think I would like to see a movie that has every part of a (long) book. As long as the main story is there, the personality of the main characters and the general feeling of the book I am usually satisfied with the movie.

message 11: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle I guess so...it just shows there is no competition between books and films.