Terminalcoffee discussion

Viewing & Listening Pleasure: > The Ruins of Detroit

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments yes...reminds me of Blade Runner. But when it sinks in that it's real it's just shocking.

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments while always a shame seeing a building or house get that way, they most always become more interesting. the colors, patterns and weathering seems to bring out the character that many new buildings do not have. in my business i am in more of these types of buildings than in new ones. i always see a majestic past rather than a ruined present

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments What's your business, Kevin?

message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) Wasn't Old Detroit the setting of Robocop?

message 5: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments You may call them "ruins," but we prefer "the ideal locale for drinking a bottle of Lysol, getting stuck in a doomed relationship, and having your throat torn out by a vulture."

And Dan, yes "Old Detroit" was the setting for "Robocop" but none of it was filmed here. It would've cost too much to tidy the place up.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Wow, beautiful images. Sad, though! What is that huge building behind the train station in the first building?

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael A recent episode of Detroit 1-8-7 had a storyline involving one of these old buildings.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Rebecca wrote: "What's your business, Kevin?"

Asset Recovery. we buy surplus equipment, parts, machinery, recyclable items and resell them.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
What is Detroit 1-8-7?

message 10: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Sally wrote: "What is Detroit 1-8-7?"

Cop show.

message 11: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Sally wrote: "Wow, beautiful images. Sad, though! What is that huge building behind the train station in the first building?"

I go past the train station twice a day on the way to and from work, but I can't get the damn photos to load.

message 12: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments this looks like something from a post-apocalyptic film.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments detroit is worse than most but same things in any US auto industry town. we've torn down most of the original 11-12 GM plants that were here but anderson, IN and others look like little detroit (without the nice sections of town)

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) These pictures are truly haunting for me. It's like that program about what would happen when people went away -- in real life. The Michigan Central train station and the interior of the theater really hit me hard. Oh, and the dentist's office.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Those photos are gorgeous, and absolutely chilling.

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments It saddens me to see this fall into such a state, especially when there are people around who could do something about it.

message 17: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 136 comments On our way to West Michigan from Buffalo a couple of years ago, we missed an exit after coming in from Canada. We took a lovely tour of Detroit and were just amazed at how the city looks. There were whole streets with homes (mostly rowhomes) boarded up and shops closed. It was very depressing. I knew the city was in sad shape but it was crazy to see street after street of empty houses.

message 18: by Jammies (new)

Jammies The dentist's office creeped me out--I could see setting a horror film scene there.

But the library made me want to cry. *howls* Who abandons books?

message 19: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Jan 24, 2011 10:14AM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Jim wrote: "It saddens me to see this fall into such a state, especially when there are people around who could do something about it."

Don't look at me... I work here so I have to pay a city tax of 1% with absolutely no say in where it goes.

message 20: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments ::looks at clark::

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments ::looks at janine looking at clark::

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Kristina wrote: "On our way to West Michigan from Buffalo a couple of years ago, we missed an exit after coming in from Canada. We took a lovely tour of Detroit and were just amazed at how the city looks. There we..."

The one and only time I've taken the scenic route through Detroit was in the middle of the night after a wrong turn at the border. It was downright apocalyptic: nobody around, steam coming out of the streets, those little blue fires burning in the factories.

message 23: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments What a bunch of candy asses.

message 24: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Very eerie. Wouldn't it be great if some of these could be restored? The United Artist's Theatre would be amazing. They'd all be amazing.

message 25: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Since the photos won't load for me, I'm not sure if any of them show either the Grand Circus Theater or the Madison Theater, but they are both old cinemas that haven't seen any action since about 1980, when they briefly hosted concerts. I saw U2, XTC, The Clash, Joe Jackson, the Ramones and others there. Both buildings were both in terrible shape then, but great venues for music.

message 26: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Sally wrote: "Wow, beautiful images. Sad, though! What is that huge building behind the train station in the first building?"

Finally got the photos to load. That's all part of the train station, Sally.

message 27: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments And the Vanity Ballroom, another great place to see a show. Now look at it. What a waste.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments There's such grandeur in those buildings, in Clark's pictures and the others.

message 29: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "while always a shame seeing a building or house get that way, they most always become more interesting. the colors, patterns and weathering seems to bring out the character that many new buildings ..."

I agree with you on the aesthetics of it, although I myself see more of the ruined present and future, in terms of economic and human capital. I love looking at vistas that are decaying, shabby, industrial etc. as long as I don't have to think too hard about the damaged lives or businesses behind them.

It's an amazing set of photos. I saw that one of the house in the NYT magazine last year.

message 30: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Saw this Twitter feed and reply, and thought, this is exactly what Detroit needs:

Opportunity missed, if you ask me.

message 31: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments http://www.gearfuse.com/like-it-or-no...

Why the hell not? We already have a sculpture of a big black fist in the middle of downtown designed to turn the stool of white suburbanites to liquid.