Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

Washington Post Features Dolen Perkins-Valdez , Author of "Wench"

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez was one of my favorite reads of last year. Today the Washington Post has an excellent feature article about this book and its author. (But the headline is very misleading - I don't think that the headline writer read the book!)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/...

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 386 comments I read Wench last year as well. A very valid point "mina" because the writer really fails to really tell the heart of the story and talk about the characters it sure does leave one to wonder if it was read. I am sad that this article does not give the book or author the justice deserved. Wench had me thinking a lot and brought to life a whole side of slavery I had never read before and I am glad I read the book.

message 3: by Rashida (new)

Rashida | 264 comments I've got to say that with the synopsis of the book, it just isn't something that I would be at all tempted to pick up. But, so many members of this group have raved about that book. So, I saw it at BJ's today, on the table of mass market paperbacks, and I actually picked it up and bought it. Now, this is remarkable, because really, the only time I buy books is when stuck in airports and ill prepared. I am a library girl. But I saw it there, and was quite impressed with its availability, and wanted to support some LFPC, so I picked it up. So, fair warning: If I don't like it, I'm coming after all of you!

message 4: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments Rashida - don't stop reading this book too soon! In the early chapters I was so furious with one of the main characters, I wanted to throw the book at the wall! But Perkins-Valdez very brilliantly pulls you into the story, lets you see why people are the way they are, and takes you with them as they grow in understanding. I don't want to say too much and ruin the book, but it's really worth it to read it all the way through.

message 5: by Maegen (last edited Jan 24, 2011 07:24PM) (new)

Maegen (maegenr) | 44 comments I just read this article this morning. I laughed at the title. I thought, clearly Ms. Parker misread this book, if she in any way thought that Wench suggested a tender relationship between the master and slave mistress. Wench was definitely my favorite read last year too, though incredibly difficult to get through. Rashida, I agree with Wilhelmina, don't stop reading. If you have to, put it down for a bit, but keep coming back to it until you finish.

Literary Fiction by People of Color

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wench (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dolen Perkins-Valdez (other topics)