Bright Young Things discussion

Substance Reads (1900-1945) > Ulysses - Episode 3 - Proteus

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) | 1653 comments Mod
Please use this thread to discuss Episode 3 - Proteus of...

Ulysses (Oxford World's Classics) by James Joyce Ulyssesby James Joyce

message 2: by Ally (new)

We'll discuss this episode during April 2011.

message 3: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1526 comments Here are some questions to think about, courtesy of the Evanston Public Library, Illinois

1. In Episode 3, we experience more of Stephen’s inner thoughts as he wanders along the beach. What do think of the narrative style Joyce used to get inside Stephen’s head?

2. What do these inner thoughts and memories tell us about Stephen’s past?

3. What major themes are continued? Do any new ones emerge?

message 4: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Conway (Conway) | 2 comments What do these inner thoughts tell us about Joyce's past?

Joyce was attacked by a dog when he was younger, giving him cynophobia, and because it happened when he was younger he chose to express a fear of dogs through Stephen when one catches his eye on the beach. I thought that was pretty neat when I read the passage in the episode.

PS: This may be my favourite episode I've read so far, other than Scylla and Charydbis. Oh, and don't worry, the next chapter is by far an easier read.

message 5: by Charles (last edited Mar 05, 2014 03:28PM) (new)

Charles Re question 1. Famously, Joyce pioneered this narrative method, and this is the first instance, what the Telemachus section was getting closer and closer to. If you compare with Portrait Of the Artist you can easily see what he's done with it, or with Ford's Parade's End, but Joyce has not sought the reflexive stream-of-consciousness, the extreme version rigorously limited to the flow of perceptions as in Robbe-Grillet's Jealousy. Stephen is essentially talking to himself, and what we read is filtered and transformed accordingly. A great innovation in its time but still not routinely used now in its pure form.

message 6: by Ally (new)

Well...I've read this episode. But I don't really know what I read. I think I will have to read it again before I can answer the questions posed!

message 7: by Charles (new)

Charles Conversation with Zachary continued from the general page: Thoughts flowing in and out like the waves is a wonderful description of how this episode works. I don't see why deep thinking is required. A young man in walking on the beach. He has a job teaching history that he doesn't much like. He is living a bohemian life with some other men he doesn't much like, either, but he's stuck with the job and the life because he doesn't have much money. There has been a kerfluffle over his mother's death, because he wouldn't compromise his principles in order to give some religious comfort in her last moments, and this has exacerbated a growing spiritual crisis. Alienated from family and friends, he is in need of some guidance -- a father.

If you know the underlying Greek story of the Odyssey at all, the parallels are obvious.

I think where the uneasiness comes in is the business of stuff from previous episodes 'bubbling up' as you say. As the episodes multiply so do the bubbles, and it quickly becomes hard to keep up. Here's my thought on that. There are two responses -- if you view this as some sort of game or challenge you are going to lose, because Joyce is way more able to put references in that you are to get them out. You will likely view this as intellectual swaggering and resent it. If, however, you view the 'bubbles' as if they were chocolate chips in a cookie or something of that sort, like in the folk tale of the inexhaustible pot of porridge, a bottomless vat of cookie dough... Well, that's a goofy metaphor. Like memories, perhaps -- the more you think about it the more you remember.

Does this strike you as right?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ulysses: The 1922 Text (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Joyce (other topics)