Winston Churchill Q&A with Stuart Finlay discussion

Favorite Winston Churchill Quotes

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Finlay | 11 comments Mod
One of my favorites is "All the nut eaters and food faddists I have ever known died early after a long period of senile decay"

message 2: by Bentley (new)

Bentley A few are here from wikipedia:

By far the most famously reported quotes are taken from alleged exchanges between Lady Astor and Winston Churchill but, like the statements above, these are not well documented and may be misattributed.

Examples include an instance in which Churchill is supposed to have told Lady Astor that having a woman in Parliament was like having one intrude on him in the bathroom, to which she retorted, "You’re not handsome enough to have such fears".

Lady Astor was also said to have responded to a question from Churchill about what disguise he should wear to a masquerade ball by saying, "Why don't you come sober, Prime Minister?"

Possibly the most famous of all such anecdotes reports that Lady Astor said to Churchill, "If you were my husband, I'd poison your tea," to which he responded, "Madam, if you were my wife, I'd drink it!"

One of the more famous exchanges that Lady Astor is purported to have had with Churchill is as follows: "Winston, you are drunk."

To which Churchill responded, "And you, madam, are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning." In fact, Churchill was talking to Bessie Braddock, a Labour Member of Parliament.

message 3: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Finlay | 11 comments Mod
All classics

message 4: by Bentley (new)

Bentley On aging Admiral Sir Dudley Pound: "Dudley Pound's a funny old boy. People think he's always asleep, but you've only got to suggest reducing the naval estimates by a million and he's awake in a flash."

message 5: by Bot (new)

Bot (tcuhornedfrogs) | 2 comments I like the one about I like pigs, Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, pigs treat us as equals.