message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Megan wrote: "Vixen by Jillian Larkin

Vixen (Flappers, #1) by Jillian Larkin"

I am really excited to read this one!

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments My library doesn't have it! :o(

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Megan wrote: "My library doesn't have it! :o("

That's too bad. I'll probably get it for my Nook instead of paperback.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments That's a good idea. I prob would if I had a Kindle... but I REALLY don't want to buy a hardcover

message 6: by Zoe (new)

Zoe I may have to buy this one - not sure I'll love it, but my library doesn;t have it, and I am really intrigued by the different period in history. I'm kind of on a 20th century kick right now (Thank you, Foyle's War) so this should be interesting!

message 7: by Michelle (last edited Jan 30, 2011 07:44AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Zoe wrote: "I may have to buy this one - not sure I'll love it, but my library doesn;t have it, and I am really intrigued by the different period in history. I'm kind of on a 20th century kick right now (Thank..."

I know what you mean about being intrigued by the different period in history. I've been trying to find more books where the story takes place during this period, and its been a struggle. I'm hoping that we really enjoy Vixen.

message 8: by Zoe (new)

Zoe michelle - there is no site that lists Romance or fiction by period - but there IS one for Historical mysteries. I doubt they;ve listed every single thing, but i was looking for Colonia fiction and a friend directed me there. It also lists where the mystery takes place - a fabulous find!

http://brerfox.tripod.com/historicalm...

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Zoe wrote: "michelle - there is no site that lists Romance or fiction by period - but there IS one for Historical mysteries. I doubt they;ve listed every single thing, but i was looking for Colonia fiction and..."

Thanks Zoe!

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I have my copy, and I can't wait start reading it. So I'll probably start tonight or tomorrow.

message 11: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments I've been listening to the audiobook. I'm about halfway through. I can't wait to hear what you think!

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments To be honest, I've only read the first chapter so far. I'm reading it on my NOOK. What I've read so far, was interesting. I was reading ch 1, and the next thing I knew, I was buying jazz off of itunes, LOL! My plan is to finish it by tonight.

message 13: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments lol!!! I'm still listening to it. I should be done by tonight as well.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I've fallen off with my reading over the weekend. I should definitely be done some time tonight.

message 15: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments LOL! Yeah, me too. I started reading Menage by Emma Holly after I typed that and then that was all she wrote.

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Gigi wrote: "LOL! Yeah, me too. I started reading Menage by Emma Holly after I typed that and then that was all she wrote."

LOL!!! I don't know why, but I've spent most of my reading time watching sci-fi and the Chiller channel. Tonight is the night, I mean it this time!!!!

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'm finally finished reading Vixen. I haven't written my review yet, but I will say that waiting until August for Ingenue (Flappers, #2) by Jillian Larkin , book two in this series to be released will probably kill me!!

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments I'm guessing that means you liked in Michelle?! Tell me what you think, should I get it on the Kindle?

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Megan wrote: "I'm guessing that means you liked in Michelle?! Tell me what you think, should I get it on the Kindle?"

I'm so depressed that I have to wait until August for the next book in the series, that I've had a hard time getting out of bed today. I definitely think you should get it on your kindle! If you don't like it, I'll make it up to you somehow, I promise!!

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments LOL! Okay- I'll get it then! I might not read it until closer to August if it was that big of a cliffhanger!!

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Megan wrote: "LOL! Okay- I'll get it then! I might not read it until closer to August if it was that big of a cliffhanger!!"

Well, its not a huge cliffhanger. But there's things that definitely require some follow up. Plus, for a book that started a little slow, to end the way it did is just driving me crazy!

message 22: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments I get so frustrated sometimes when books start off slow. When did you think it started to pick up?

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Megan wrote: "I get so frustrated sometimes when books start off slow. When did you think it started to pick up?"

I'm not really sure since I've had such a bad reading month. Meaning, that my books didn't drag, but I did. I think there's a hint of betrayal to come early on that'll keep people reading to see what happens though.

message 24: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Okay, so I finished this a couple days ago. For me, it was a slow read - not that it wasn't exciting - I love this period. I think this book reminded me more about why I avoid YA. Admittedly, I've pretty much just read this and Twilight but....I think reading so much genre fiction, usually, the people I'm reading about have goals.
These three - goals - not so much. Self absorption, plenty.
I am very goal oriented, so definitely my favorite part of the book was when Gloria decided she wanted to sing and had to follow through with it. I found that to be very exciting, as was all the atmospheric mention of period music and clothing.
Also, they made some poor choices. Bucking society and social rules for love - fine. Getting to know violent gangsters and putting oneselves in their presence - kinda stupid.

clara was by far my favorite character because she had brains and wit. I'm afraid Gloria is the only one whose life 'hangs in the balance' at the end of the book for me to read book two, and I didn't like her enough.
All in all, despite not liking the characters, I thought it pretty well written. And I wish there could have been fashion plates of some of the outfits - Ms. Larkins adoration of period fashion came through loud and clear!

message 25: by Michelle (last edited Feb 24, 2011 02:03PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Zoe wrote: "Okay, so I finished this a couple days ago. For me, it was a slow read - not that it wasn't exciting - I love this period. I think this book reminded me more about why I avoid YA. Admittedly, I've ..."

I definitely think Larkins did a good job describing the period fashions, music, etc. I agree with you too that it started off as a slow read, but for me once it picked up some, it was interesting enough. Didn't care so much for Gloria, as I get a little tired of the too perfect heroine that everybody loves, but I'm hoping for more of Clara and her new love in the next one.

I didn't expect it to be YA. I mean, I knew the characters were in that age group, but I was hoping that based on the era, they'd be more adult.

I'll definitely read the next one because I'd like to think it'll start off at a faster pace, and tie up any loose ends. Plus, I'd just like to read more from this period. It seems like a hard period to find any historical romance novels. What do you think?

message 26: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Definitely not a common period - the only romance genre that really breaks out of the most common historical periods (regency, medieval, victorian) seems to be inspirational, but if you look at it, that time between the wars was pretty darn short - and wars change everything. So you can't settle down and really get comfy in the flapper era (which also was pretty much just an American thing -things were still grim in 1920's London) the way you can in regency or victorian -which both lasted a couple decades, or medieval - which lasted a couple hundred years!
Still, I think it's good for YA books to be out there because maybe it's easier to break into a different genre than romance when you have a non-standard period book. Although after Foyle's war and Maisie Dobbs, who wouldn't love a little more early 20th century romance?

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Zoe wrote: "Definitely not a common period - the only romance genre that really breaks out of the most common historical periods (regency, medieval, victorian) seems to be inspirational, but if you look at it,..."

True. The other series from that period that I've come across is also YA- Bright Young Things (Bright Young Things, #1) by Anna Godbersen . Good point on the time between wars; I hadn't thought of that. I've said it before, and haven't done it yet, but I have to get a copy of Foyle's War!

message 28: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Well, I finished it. It was so slow for me but it never really picked up for me. I would read the next installment though.