Tulane University discussion

Moving to NOLA

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:08AM) (new)

Jonathan Ridenour So, I am moving to NOLA in June for my internship in psychology (I just finished my doctorate in clinical psych). I won't be at Tulane but LSU Medical School. Anyone have any recommendations for places to live or any contacts? I've been looking at Craigslist. I'm looking to live by Tulane in Uptown/Garden District.

message 2: by Brandy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Brandy | 1 comments Look into Metairie as well as the Uptown. You may find some more affordable options. Post storm prices uptown in the Tulane area skyrocketed.

message 3: by Skip (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Skip | 3 comments I lived in New Orleans for about nine years, and left in 2004. I had a great place in the Lower Garden District about 18 blocks from Downtown, and I guess a little farther from the university. (I attended Loyola.)
Back then, my 1,100-square-foot apartment just off of Saint Charles Avenue with its 12-foot ceilings and balconies was $675 a month. I can't imagine what it must be now.
But traditionally, the LGD has been a sort of affordable part of town. If you're looking at a map, it's the area roughly between the expressway and Louisiana Avenue and bounded by the river and St. Charles. The closer you are to the river, the cheaper the rents, and also, the sketchier the neighborhood.

But back when I lived down there, (and I don't believe this has changed that much,) the way to get apartments was simply to bike up and down the streets of the neighbirhood you were interested in, and look for For Rent signs.
New Orleans is not that Internet savvy...
If you want more details, e-mail me. edescant@mac.com

Skip

message 4: by Skip (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Skip | 3 comments I lived in New Orleans for about nine years, and left in 2004. I had a great place in the Lower Garden District about 18 blocks from Downtown, and I guess a little farther from the university. (I attended Loyola.)
Back then, my 1,100-square-foot apartment just off of Saint Charles Avenue with its 12-foot ceilings and balconies was $675 a month. I can't imagine what it must be now.
But traditionally, the LGD has been a sort of affordable part of town. If you're looking at a map, it's the area roughly between the expressway and Louisiana Avenue and bounded by the river and St. Charles. The closer you are to the river, the cheaper the rents, and also, the sketchier the neighborhood.

But back when I lived down there, (and I don't believe this has changed that much,) the way to get apartments was simply to bike up and down the streets of the neighbirhood you were interested in, and look for For Rent signs.
New Orleans is not that Internet savvy...
If you want more details, e-mail me. edescant@mac.com

Skip

message 5: by Arin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Arin | 1 comments I don't know if I'd try Metairie unless you want to drive a pretty good distance - it is the suburb of NOLA. I agree that the closer to the river, usually the lower the rents, but you didn't indicate the cost was a factor. Personally, I love Prytania street. Maybe you can find something out there.