Pirate Romance discussion

Buddy-Reads > The Pirate By Kate Hoffmann

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 550 comments Mod
SWASHBUCKLING-TIME-TRAVEL!
Griffin Rourke: Pirate.Spy. He wants revenge on the infamous buccaneer Blackbeard,for killing his father. And nothing-not even a bewitching woman named Meredith-is going to stop him! When Meredith finds Griffin washed up on shore,she cant believe her eyes.The handsome pirate of her dreams has come to life! But she hasnt counted on her lover's 18th century need for vengeance and that he needs to return to his own time. The Pirate (Rogues Across Time, Book #2) (Harlequin Temptation, No 577) by Kate Hoffmann The Pirate (Rogues Across Time, Book #2)
DISCUSSIONS:
What did you think of the plot?
What was your favorite part?
Favorite character?
How would you rate this book?
Please use ***SPOILER ALERT*** when revealing key plot elements.

Sandi and SmittenKitten doing this buddy-read mid feb.
Anyone else is welcome to join!

message 2: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments My copy arrived today!!

Sandi, let me know what week in Feb. you want to start this one.. it's short, so it will probably only take me 2-3 days to read.

message 3: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Jan 26, 2011 02:05AM) (new)

Im ready now if you like..if not..you let me know when its good for you..

message 4: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments I've got a couple of books I want to finish for the end of this month, so how about we make Feb 1st the start date then? :)

You can read a couple of books in 5 days? your a fast reader! The book Im reading now is SO big..will take me awhile! so III start this one..and read every other day till you catch up..III stop if I get to page 100. OK?

message 6: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments I will try to start this one on Monday or Tuesday!

I'm not that fast... usually takes 2-5 days to read a book, depending on length of the book and how much free time I have. :)

No rush..Im at page 100..so Ive stopped til you get started.( I dont remember stuff past this point)
How many times do you find a "re-read" should be read before it looses its appeal? 1st time read-love it!
2nd time read-really like it..3rd time read-I liked it but noticing things I didnt before..Im curious to what you think of Griffin's character & Meredith's

message 8: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments I read the first chapter last night. I was quite excited to see that it takes place on Ocracoke! I go to the outer banks at least once ever summer.. it's always fun to read about settings that you are familiar with. :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

SmittenKitten wrote: "I read the first chapter last night. I was quite excited to see that it takes place on Ocracoke! I go to the outer banks at least once ever summer.. it's always fun to read about settings that you ..."

Okay, I am going to look for this one!!!!!

SmittenKitten wrote: "I read the first chapter last night. I was quite excited to see that it takes place on Ocracoke! I go to the outer banks at least once ever summer.. it's always fun to read about settings that you ..."

Maybe youll find your own Pirate washed up?! Im curious than..does the author describe Ocracoke as you know it?

Faithmarie...if you cant find it let me know III send you mine...I loved the book but I wont be reading a 4th time....

message 12: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments Sandi wrote: "Maybe youll find your own Pirate washed up?!"

I can only hope.... :P

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Sandi wrote: "Faithmarie...if you cant find it let me know III send you mine...I loved the book but I wont be reading a 4th time...."

Thanks Sandi! I found it at amazon for .01 with 2.99 shipping. Is that weird? It is used.

Great! I hope you enjoy it! :)

message 15: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments Ok, this book is adorable! It has made me laugh-out-loud on several occasions. I just finished reading the scene where Griff ordered the girlie drink at the bar... lol.

message 16: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Feb 03, 2011 12:21PM) (new)

Dont you just love him? He rough..but has a heart of gold...I liked the part where she was trying to explain the front zipper to his pants! I think thats what I liked about this book poor Griffin is so baffled by it all...and he thinks she's a "loose" woman because she lives on her own..so "male-chauv" but you cant help but laugh..

message 17: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments Sandi wrote: "does the author describe Ocracoke as you know it?"

Yes, the description of the island is pretty accurate... except for the fact that when there are hurricanes, you board up the cottage and get out of town!.. not hang out and rescue washed up pirates :-)

message 18: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments The zipper scene was really cute! And the whole part about him being in the "doghouse" was funny.

I also adored the scene where he puts his head in her lap... it made me "Awwwwwwwwwwwww" out loud.

So that part is true about the hurricanes? Is it often? Oh yea "being in the doghouse WAS funny! I like how the story has humor, and Griffin is such a different kind of pirate..refreshing...what do you think of Meredith? I found threw the other reads I was focused mostly on him..but I find maybe shes a little weak? kinda goes with the flow?..she does get her "mettle" up later tho...

message 20: by SmittenKitten (last edited Feb 04, 2011 06:07AM) (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments Yeah, I agree - Meredith is a bit weak. I guess she is meant to be, but I think a more confident, strong heroine would have been better... especially considering she is a PhD college professor at such a young age.

We get hit by hurricanes a lot on the U.S. east coast (Virginia down to Florida). Our hurricane season usually runs August-October. When a major hurricane is on its way, residents of the Outer Banks (in North Carolina, includes Ocracoke) usually board up their cottage and are strongly advised to evacuate. But we have not been hit by any major ones in a while... thank goodness!!

message 21: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments Oh, but I think the hurricane in the beginning of the book was made up. However, the other one that is described from her past might be real... I'm not sure though, I'll have to do some research! :)

I cant stand thunderstorms/lightning! I think I would be a wreck if I had to go threw that!

message 23: by SmittenKitten (last edited Feb 05, 2011 06:13PM) (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments "Griff" at the doctor's office... another cute scene!!

I'm at page 136 right now... taking this one slow as I've been reading other books at the same time. :) Have you finished yet? I'll probably finish in the next couple of days.

Yes..it was cute..but sad for him to know if his wife was in this time she wouldnt have died...ya I finished a few days ago.. I dont know how you can read so manys books at one time,dont you get confused?

message 25: by SmittenKitten (last edited Feb 06, 2011 12:32PM) (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments LOL... not as long as I only read books with different time periods/themes. :) I'm reading this one while also trying to complete the Wallflower series by Lisa Kleypas.

message 26: by SmittenKitten (last edited Feb 09, 2011 02:10PM) (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments Ok, I finally finished this one yesterday. :)

It was so cute - I loved the first half of the book when Griffin is trying to adjust to the modern world. The 2nd half of the book was just OK for me, but overall, I really enjoyed this book.

message 27: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments Oh, and I ended up giving it 4 stars. I think the story and writing was about a 3, but the laugh out loud parts pushed it up to a 4 for me.

Yeah..I loved the first part with Griff..the middle *meh*..Meredith needed more "spunk" but all & all a funny & fast read and I loved it ended HEA.4 star for me too...

message 29: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments I agree - Meredith was the weak link in the story.