Fantastic Fantasy and Science Fiction discussion

Just Curious > Tears...What fantasy books have brought you to tears?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jD (new)

jD (jd_4everbooked) | 109 comments Mod
I have not read anything in quite awhile that has brought on tears. The last series that touched me in this way was Sevenwaters.Daughter of the Forest. I also had a few watery moments when reading the Warded Man and Desert Spear.
The Warded Man. Lastly, Firethorn was an emotional ride as well.
Firethorn
What about you? Anything touch your heart and brought you to tears or very close?

message 2: by Carmel (new)

Carmel Van | 4 comments i cant remember if i,ve ever cried over a book. i know that anything to do with children or babies geting hurt or worse, is very emotional for me.

message 3: by Carmel (new)

Carmel Van | 4 comments well actually if you can class lovely bones under fantasy then yeah that one was a real tear jerker

message 4: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 5 comments I have only really with one novel. It was, PS I Love You. I just couldnt help it! It was one of those books that my friend passed me that I could put down.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) I cry at the slightest provocation. If there's even a hint of a happy ending, that's me with the tears streaming down my cheeks. (For some reason, I'm more likely to cry at happy things than sad/painful/terrifying things) So the last book that made me cry was Brent Weeks' Way of Shadows... because it's the last book I finished :)

Rachel

message 6: by jD (new)

I cried several times when reading Way of Shadows EXCEPT when 'Ms. Perfect' died. She made me sick, too perfect. My heart broke for that female assassin, you know when she had to share. I forget names because it was a long time ago.

message 7: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Farley (traceyfarley) | 1 comments The Host by Stephanie Myers.

message 8: by Claire (new)

Claire (belladoll) Skybowl - Melanie Rawn, all throughout, for instance when Andry passes, full of emotion, her writing is so vivid, hard not to get pulled in.

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen | 5 comments Lord of the Rings, during Frodo's "the end of all things" speech--gets me every time.

Also, Deerskin by Robin McKinley--dark retelling of a particularly twisted fairytale with a great deal of psychological depth.

Sharon Shinn's The Shape-Changer's Wife--such a good fantasy love story.

message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise Christie | 3 comments Karen wrote: "Lord of the Rings, during Frodo's "the end of all things" speech--gets me every time.

Also, Deerskin by Robin McKinley--dark retelling of a particularly twisted fairytale with a grea..."

I nearly forgot about the Frodo speech! I finished the return of the king whilst I was in school and I cried at my desk! I don't think another fantasy book has ever done it.

message 11: by Lin (new)

Lin | 2 comments Karen wrote: "Sharon Shinn's The Shape-Changer's Wife--such a good fantasy love story."

I love the Shape-Changer's wife, it's sweet in such a sad way

The weirdest book I've ever teared up to would have to be Dune and Dune Messiah

message 12: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan I was sobbing by the end of the Golden Compass trilogy, even though I didn't even like it that much.

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen | 5 comments Glad to hear Frodo's speech affected other people besides me the same way--Micheal Whelan did a wonderful painting entitled "The Eagles are Coming" of Frodo and Sam on Mount Doom that you may want to check out if you love that scene as much as I do.

Dune definitely had some emotionally charged parts--it's been awhile since I've read it, but you've inspired me to go back for a re-read, Lin.

message 14: by jD (new)

Just read a scene a few days ago about the death of Nighteyes, broke my heart. It was nice to feel that connection via a book while it hurt to lose a loved character.

Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1) by Robin Hobb

message 15: by Jada (new)

Jada Stuart (JadasArtVision) | 7 comments I've never cried reading or watching a movie but I can list a few that did strike a nerve in me and may make others cry.

Bridge to Terabitha
Inkspell (#2)
The Sweet Far Thing (#3)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

message 16: by Melody (new)

Melody Mol (melodybernal) | 6 comments I was this - - close to crying in this one super powerful scene in Fathoms of Forgiveness. It's kind of funny, because the whole book is a little dark (okay, a lot dark x) but the scene that I almost cried in was a moment where the heroine got the respect she deserved. Alas, there was a twist.