♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

Debates > Debates

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jude, The First One :) (last edited Mar 19, 2011 09:29AM) (new)

Jude (judehnd) | 565 comments Mod
Debates

Hey guys! I though it would be fun If we had a section for Debates.

Rules:

1)Respect!!! REALLY IMPORTANT PEOPLE! if you are rude, insult, or simply are a Jerk to anyone you will not be able to participate on more debates. and if the case is severe you will be suspended from the group or eliminated.

2)If you'd like to Lead a Debate you proposed, please NOTIFY FIRST!. If you are not granted permission your topic will be Eliminated.

3).... I haven't thought of that one yet but I'll come up with something.... eventually ^^.

BONUS: Discussion Leaders will gain 3 Points!

In this section we can discuss any topic you like, Just post your opinions on the comment section below and I'll star making the topics. Example:

Twilight: Team Jacob or Team Edward (Though I am sure we can come up with something better - this topic is way to old - But if you want it, We'll have it!)

So go ahead and Post Your Ideas!!

message 2: by Nate (last edited Jan 23, 2011 09:24AM) (new)

Nate A few suggestions.

Euthenasia: is it murder, mercy killing or assisted suicide?

Should some drugs just be legalized ?

Should the driving age be raised?

What are your blvs on the world ending in 2012?

Should schools have uniforms?

Tv/video games eeffects on ppl..

Should you give money to a homeles person?

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 452 comments I love the idea of debates, but what about debating books or book themed debates?

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 452 comments YA Books: Should there be further ratings for Young Adult Books?

Personally, I think YA Books Have Ratings, such as A for Anyone, Y for Youth, T for Teen, and 16+?

I do believe that parents should regulate what their kids read, but they shouldn't have to read every book their child is interested in reading. When a child returns from the library or bookstore with a book, they want to read it. If they have to wait for mom or dad to finish the book first, they'll lose interest. It's important to keep children interested in reading, especially with all of the distractions (TV, Internet, Video Games). If there was a rating system than parents could regulate what their child reads while encouraging their interest in books.

An example of a poorly rated book/series is the House of Night series. It's considered YA books, but the series starts off with a sexual act and then later the main character has sex with her teacher. This is not suitable for a pre-teen and young teens. The cover doesn't say there's sexual content.

What do you think?

message 5: by Ⓛeah (new)

Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾ (goodreadscomLeah13) | 100 comments At schoool we have on gong debates

foon vs. spork

Is black a color

Is white a color
and a lot of other stuff

message 6: by Ⓛeah (new)

Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾ (goodreadscomLeah13) | 100 comments go foooooon it is fairer to spoons because they take up more space(I <3 pointless debates as well as ones that will actually effect people)

message 7: by Anna (last edited Jan 23, 2011 06:39PM) (new)

Anna (annaanon) ah, yes, leah, our school discussions a.k.a. lunch-time/study-hall arguments lol
and i def. agree with leah's topics, because they are utterly pointless and silly :DD
(don't get me wrong, i mean that in the best way possible)

message 8: by Johnnybgoode (new)

Johnnybgoode | 5 comments i always give money to homeless people, I am almost always near the edge of being homeless myself so I feel there pain. Why shouldn't you give to the homeless?

message 9: by Angela (last edited Jul 06, 2011 09:21AM) (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 452 comments Nate's Question - Euthenasia: is it murder, mercy killing or assisted suicide?

I think this one should be Euthenasia or Assisted Suicide.

Euthenasia is a decision made by the doctor to end the life when the mind and body are still alive. Assisted Suicide is a decision made by the patient and the doctor performs the act.

So, I believe Euthenasia is murder but assisted suicide is a mercy killing.
Having said that, in Canada we have a Living Will where the patient can request in writing for no action to be taken to sustain their life. In most cases, there is no need for assisted suicide because it's already well documented on paper.

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 452 comments Nate's Question - Should some drugs just be legalized?

In Canada, Marijuana is legal for medical use only. It is prescribed to individuals who have pain and nausea from terminal diseases. I believe it should stay that way.

I grew up with friends who smoked pot and I believe it is a gateway drug and should not be legalized or experimented. My friend Chris turned to acid and shot himself in the head during a bad acid trip. He's dead. My friend Monica smoked coke with her pot and started stripping to pay for her habit. Stripping turned to prostitution. I have no idea where she is now. My friend's brother Matt started doing crystal meth and he suffered brain damage. He now lives in an assisted living facility. An ex-boyfriend turned from pot to coke, mushrooms, acid, meth, anything he could get his hands on. He's in and out of jail now for armed robbery, spousal abuse, and child neglect. I know these examples are harsh and I do have ex-friends who smoke pot and don't try heavier drugs. They lost interest in the things they loved and spend all their time smoking pot and watching tv. They're not the same fun and driven people they once were. They're walking, talking, vegetables.
In my opinion, drugs should not be legalized.

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 452 comments Nate's Question - Should the driving age be raised?

In Canada, a sixteen year old can get their Learners permit. With a learners permit, they can drive with one person who carries a Class 5 Licence and only during the day. With no issues, their learners becomes a graduated license. When they turn 18 they have a full Class 5 license. I think this is an acceptable age for driving.

message 12: by Angela (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 452 comments Nate's Question - What are your blvs on the world ending in 2012?

We survived Y2K with no issues and I'm sure we'll survive 2012. The movie was great, but I don't see the end of the world anytime soon. Many countries continue to poison the earth, but in Canada we're making progress. We have air efficiency tests on our vehicles and factories, and in-stream tidal turbine to generate our hydro. Go Green!

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 452 comments Nate's Question - Should schools have uniforms?

Yes. I've always believed that uniforms were a good idea. The cost of uniforms is lower than the cost of street clothes. No one is singled out for not wearing the right labels and no one is threatened with theft of their brand named clothing.

message 14: by Angela (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 452 comments Nate's Question - TV/Video games effects on ppl..

There are age restrictions on TV Shows and Video Games with sexual content, offensive language, and violence. I believe these restrictions are ment to prevent young minds from interpreting their own reality in a game. A child can understand the difference between right and wrong, but they are not developed enough to understand the difference between the game and reality. How many of us knew a kid playing superman who jumped off a car or a house to fly? Playing games like GTA before your mid-teen years doesn't mean you'll start driving like a maniac and beating hookers, but they will pick up the language and lack of respect from being involved in that world.

message 15: by Angela (last edited Jul 06, 2011 10:22AM) (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 452 comments Nate's Question - Should you give money to a homeless person?

I think there are two answers to this question. Yes, I've given money to the homeless and volunteered at foodbanks. There are many mentally ill people living on the streets who cannot care for themselves. In Vancouver, BC being a Street Person can be a chosen lifestyle. These people are easier to spot. They often wear new-age hippy attire, expensive piercings and jewellery and are more into socializing than surviving. For able bodies, there are day labour places that pay $10 cash an hour. No ID required and they pay at the end of the day. There are shelters for the sober and safe houses for those not sober to stay. You don't need ID for any of these places. I don't give money to the able bodied, street person. I give money to those who look mentally or physically disabled.

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 452 comments Ⓛeah's Question - Foon vs Spork

Personally, I'm a fan of the Spork. I have one in my utensil drawer and I use it all the time. Definately Spork!

message 17: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Buckley (wantedhero) If I continue to shout "SHITZU!"...am I swearing, or is it actually a dog?

message 18: by David (new)

David Santos (authordas) Nate wrote: "A few suggestions.

Should you give money to a homeles person? "

Oo oo oo gimme gimme gimme. I'm ready for these three haha

message 19: by Jude, The First One :) (last edited Aug 06, 2011 09:29PM) (new)

Jude (judehnd) | 565 comments Mod
Euthenasia: Dying with dignity and/or Mercy killing

Drugs? Yes

Driving? NO!

2012? Don't think so

Uniforms? I didn't like them but now that I don't wear one anymore I sorta miss it :( [it was a really pretty blue-black plaid skirt

Tv/video games? if you're really addicted to them you might as well call yourself a Zombie.

Should you give money to a homeles person? No, you should give them education AND jobs.

message 20: by David (last edited Aug 06, 2011 09:57PM) (new)

David Santos (authordas) Oh we just dive right into it?

Obviously not happening there have been 2 false predictions on the end of the world, this isnt new.

I dont mind, it would for sure stop people from judging each others outfits and making fun of what they wear, but wearing the same hing 5 days straight is not good hygiene ha

Should you give money to a homeles person?

Judeness most people cant get their own children an education, it will cost them a fortune to put every homeless person through college and Jobs? I'm unemployeed so I can rant about that haha I would NOT give the homeless person money, instead take them somewhere to eat and pay for their food, maybe get them new clothes or something.

message 21: by Cindy (new)

Cindy C Bennett (cindycbennett) | 440 comments Kyle: love them, it will really tick them off!

message 22: by Sixela (new)

Sixela (mistywind) | 43 comments I would like to propose a discussion about wearing bike helmets, in my class last year we had a really long discussion about bike helmets, some people said that you shouldnt have to wear them and others said you should have to IF YOURE UNDER 18. I personally think (even though I dont like wearing a helmet) we should have to wear one until we at least 18 I think the they still wear a helmet after 18 but its that persons choice if they want to damage their brain. What do you think? Can I start a discussion about this?

Please dont copy this idea. I would like to start it and it said on here that this was the rule. I didnt know where else to post my idea so I put it here. is this correct?

message 23: by Martin (new)

Martin Reed (pendrum) | 12 comments Why are bags of potato chips never filled to the top?

Should movie trailers intentionally mislead the audience?

Is auto-tune immoral?

Should Caramilk be obligated to unveil their trade secret of how they get the caramel inside their Caramilk bars?

Is Red Bull's bold advertising claim of their energy drinking giving you wings disingenuous and cruelly sadistic, especially after you find out that it in fact doesn't?

message 24: by BlackTea (new)

BlackTea | 16 comments Uniforms: it depends. I think in a way they are good, because fellow students don't rate you because of your style / clothing. You aren't "cool" because you wear expensive clothing or "uncool" because you wear a bad combo. People don't not give you a chance because they don't like what you wear.
But uniforms can also be stupid if for instance girls have to wear skirts, because some girls may be uncomfortable in them. Or some students will dislike the lack of freedom- not even being able to decide what you are aloud to wear.