WACC- Writers Against Cardboard Characters discussion

Characters Q-Z > Spencer Dubois

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Molverine (new)

Molverine (deatheateregg) | 140 comments Name: Spencer [needs a middle name] Dubois

Appearence: I've always pictured him as blonde hair/blue eyed but I'm open to changing it depending

Things you know about the character so far: I decided this morning that he's from New Orleans and he grew up on his family plantation. He's also going to be struggling with his sexuality. He has super powers. Those being he can spontaneously combust

Things you know about the character's past: Hmm... haven't though much about it... I seem to do that a lot...

Where you think the character will end up: He'll probably end up... I think he'll stay with the government agency that runs the superhero peeps. I'm pretty sure Lucas is the only one that leaves, actually...

What you want help with: Developing him? He's very cardboard.

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) New Orleans on a plantation? Hmm, make him Creole instead. That makes far more sense than blonde and blue eyed (considering the melting pot that is as they say Naw'lins). And why live on a plantation? When's the novel set? I don't think too many people live on those anymore. Most are historical sites (and quite haunted too).

Family secrets are always good for books set in the South, I don't know why. Add a bit of voudoun (voodoo) since that's such an intrinsic part of Louisiana culture. At 16 he's tall, a bit on the rangy side, likes girls as friends but has a crush on a guy who is totally unsuitable (on top of being another guy of course). His parents are more concerned about their image and well, Spencer doesn't seem to be living up to their aspirations. He gets good grades but wants to do something creative rather than go into the family business (whatever that is). His folks aren't all that thrilled about his having superpowers ("how's he supposed to marry a nice southern belle if he keeps setting the Queen Anne chairs ablaze"--LOL you can use that if you like).

message 3: by RedPath (new)

RedPath | 562 comments O.o Nobody's a southern belle anymore. It's quite overrated down here. If they're from this time period, they wouldn't worry too much about him getting married. They don't do that very much in the south anymore.

message 4: by RedPath (new)

RedPath | 562 comments Middle names...

Adrian
Jeffery
Allen
Andre
Louie/Louis

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) RedPath wrote: "O.o Nobody's a southern belle anymore. It's quite overrated down here. If they're from this time period, they wouldn't worry too much about him getting married. They don't do that very much in the ..."

That depends on whether they're from one of those traditional families where marriage is still a popular topic. She doesn't have to be a southern belle, but certainly can't be from the wrong side of the tracks...or can she? But wait, maybe she's actually a HE???

message 6: by RedPath (new)

RedPath | 562 comments ...There really isn't any drama like that...

message 7: by Elliott (new)

Elliott | 193 comments His past... maybe he had a really close guy friend when he was a (younger) kid who was super homophobic and always made fun of gay people?

message 8: by Molverine (new)

Molverine (deatheateregg) | 140 comments Vixenne wrote: "New Orleans on a plantation? Hmm, make him Creole instead. That makes far more sense than blonde and blue eyed (considering the melting pot that is as they say Naw'lins). And why live on a plant..."

Thanks for the help!

The story is set in modern times and I was thinking maybe his family was too stubborn to give up the plantation for a historical site or something like that...

Yeah, I really like all your ideas XD Thank you so much!!

message 9: by Molverine (new)

Molverine (deatheateregg) | 140 comments I think... Spencer will be missing a toe... for some reason...

message 10: by Elliott (new)

Elliott | 193 comments That'd be epic.

message 11: by Molverine (new)

Molverine (deatheateregg) | 140 comments Jaime and I decided he's missing his right pinky toe because a bunny ate it because it thought it was a carrot... the reason is open to changing.

And he's left handed. BOOYAH

message 12: by Molverine (new)

Molverine (deatheateregg) | 140 comments AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND he really likes Michael Jackson and has all his dances memorized

message 13: by Julian (new)

Julian Moreno (emmieloowhoo) | 196 comments Lav Lalie Fompledump (Lavendarlol) wrote: "That'd be epic."

Lav - HE'S TALENTED BECAUSE HE HAS TOES. *headdesk* I have such weird friends...

message 14: by Elliott (new)

Elliott | 193 comments THAT'S WHAT ABBY WAS TALKING ABOUT! It all makes sense now!

message 15: by Julian (last edited Jan 23, 2011 02:48PM) (new)

Julian Moreno (emmieloowhoo) | 196 comments Yeaaah! Ah, I love that girl. (: Our description for her is 'a five year old on steroids.'

message 16: by Elliott (new)

Elliott | 193 comments Hahaha. For sure! Although I don't think a five year old could come up with something so creative as the toe thing. xD

message 17: by Julian (new)

Julian Moreno (emmieloowhoo) | 196 comments xD True. But a five year old would run madly so she could step on a crunchy leaf.

message 18: by Elliott (new)

Elliott | 193 comments Ahahaha! Very true as well.

message 19: by Julian (new)

Julian Moreno (emmieloowhoo) | 196 comments Mmhhmm.

message 20: by Mitch (new)

Mitch (i-am-not-real) | 425 comments This is the guy who has a crush on me, right?

message 21: by Molverine (new)

Molverine (deatheateregg) | 140 comments If it ends up being you, Mitchelito. Super is under major revamp

message 22: by Mitch (new)

Mitch (i-am-not-real) | 425 comments Okay. Gotcha.

message 23: by Molverine (new)

Molverine (deatheateregg) | 140 comments Hmm..... I might change Spencer to having dark hair...

message 24: by Molverine (new)

Molverine (deatheateregg) | 140 comments [image error]

HUZZAH! I HAVE FOUND SPENCER

message 25: by RedPath (new)

RedPath | 562 comments on't know about anyone else, but I think he's hot.

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) Okay, if you insist that Spencer lives on his family's plantation because they're too stubborn to give it up, he's definitely going to get picked on by other kids because of what a plantation means for some of them, and others are just going to hate that he's rich. Either way, he'll have very few--if any--friends. His close friend should be someone the complete opposite of him so that it stands out more.

message 27: by RedPath (new)

RedPath | 562 comments -nodnod- Right. And it'll make for funny banter.

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) The kids who pick on hims should call him "Spencer O'Hara", though to make it even funnier, only a few even know what it's in referencce to.

message 29: by Mitch (new)

Mitch (i-am-not-real) | 425 comments [Ellwyn] Anna de Rouen Fompledump wrote: "

HUZZAH! I HAVE FOUND SPENCER"

He looks like he's sagging.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

[Ellwyn] Anna de Rouen Fompledump wrote: "

WHY IS IT THAT GAY GUYS ARE SO HOT?!

message 31: by Julian (new)

Julian Moreno (emmieloowhoo) | 196 comments SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "[Ellwyn] Anna de Rouen Fompledump wrote: "

WHY IS IT THAT GAY GUYS ARE SO HOT?!"

I KNOW, RIGHT?

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Stupid gay guys. *grumbles*