~Opinions~ discussion

Other > Video Games

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David jones | 135 comments Well I though since you guys have a thread about TV, that we should do one for video games. So what do you think about them? Do you think that they rot your brain and influence what you do? Or do you think they are harmless entertainment. I think they are harmless entertainment but thats just me.

message 2: by Nate (new)

Nate I don't play em, I get too frustrated.

message 3: by David (new)

David jones | 135 comments Hahaha wow xD.

message 4: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Bor-ing

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Eh... Depends. The really violent ones probably shouldn't be played all the time, and by small kids. But things like sing star or the sims are so harmless. I guess it's like with TV: Bad if you do it all the time, okay if you do it sometimes.

message 6: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) agreed

message 7: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I only play online scrabble... and that's not video games. They make my head hurt.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments medal of honour!!! woohhoo!! :P

message 9: by David (new)

David jones | 135 comments Hahaha. i think call of duty is better though. but i do kinda wanna play the new medal of hnor that is just like COD modern warfare.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments Emma (Audere est facere) wrote: "Eh... Depends. The really violent ones probably shouldn't be played all the time, and by small kids. But things like sing star or the sims are so harmless. I guess it's like with TV: Bad if you do ..."

I disagree on the whole Sing Star thing. Those can be very damaging to a kid's self esteem. I mean, last time I tried it, it called me a wannabe loser. (I don't really think it's dangerous to self-esteem or anything, though...just joking around.)

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments David wrote: "Hahaha. i think call of duty is better though. but i do kinda wanna play the new medal of hnor that is just like COD modern warfare."

Well yeah no one can beat COD!
Currently am waiting for gears of war 3..

message 12: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) You play v games *raises eye-brows* I thought you just oggled over stars

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments Lol I love video games!!!! Especially where you can kill someone lol lol

message 14: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) o.O

message 15: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) that was unexpected

message 16: by David (new)

David jones | 135 comments Yea I love the violent games. The more violent the better like GTA and COD and yea.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments @stray ..What was unexpected?
@David.. I know right! Have you played assassins creed??

message 18: by David (new)

David jones | 135 comments No I want to though. Have u played Grand Theft Auto 4?

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments Some are okay but Iget tired of them far too quickly. But it's sometimes fun to watch my brothers play because they play better than me. Except
at some games. Haha.

message 20: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I spend so much time on goodreads and playing online scrabble that I hardly get time to write, let alone play video games.

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments Online scrabble.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments David wrote: "No I want to though. Have u played Grand Theft Auto 4?"

who hasnt played gta4! its like one of the most awesomest game ever!
and you should definitely play assasin creed.. if you liked prince of persia you'll love assasin creed

message 23: by David (new)

David jones | 135 comments I never played prince of persia, but assassins creed looks awesome.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments oh my god man!how come you have never played prince of persia!

message 25: by David (new)

David jones | 135 comments not really sure lol.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments lol!!
put it at the top of your list.. :P

message 27: by David (new)

David jones | 135 comments maybe :P lolz.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments maybe? but prince of persia is awesome....

message 29: by David (new)

David jones | 135 comments i might play it lolz

message 30: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Fariha(Tel dekho aur tel ki dhar dekho) wrote: "David wrote: "No I want to though. Have u played Grand Theft Auto 4?"

and you should definitely play assasin creed.. if you lik..."

I haven't!

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments yay!!!
*ticks david off the list of the people she has forced to play prince of persia*

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments Amina wrote: "Fariha(Tel dekho aur tel ki dhar dekho) wrote: "David wrote: "No I want to though. Have u played Grand Theft Auto 4?"

and yo..."

you're an exceptional case :P

message 33: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) Fariha(Tel dekho aur tel ki dhar dekho) wrote: "@stray ..What was unexpected?
@David.. I know right! Have you played assassins creed??"

I really couldn't picture you as a video game lover ^^

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments really?? how come?

message 35: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) I dunno *shruggs*

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments lol oohhkkhhaayy :P

message 37: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Me neither.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments Weird lol

message 39: by No One (new)

No One (baka) I think that video games can affect people, but not to the point of it being dangerous. But of course that depends on what game you're playing. Like for instance there's a game called Manhunt which is all about killing people in different ways.

Taken from Wikipedia: "The player is rated from one to five stars at the end of each level which is largely affected by the gruesomeness of the killings and the speed of completion. Executions are preferred in order to gain a higher score, thus encouraging players to play as viscerally as possible."

And of course: "In the United Kingdom, the game was linked to the murder of Stefan Pakeerah, 14, by his friend Warren Leblanc, 17, on 27 February 2004. Giselle Pakeerah, the victim's mother, claimed that Leblanc had been "obsessed" with the game after he pleaded guilty in court."

This game is banned in many countries, and I myself think there's no point in playing it. Not just because it sounds gruesome, but because the whole plot about killing people sounds boring. But really, who is to blame for the death of Giselle? Is it the game that made Leblanc kill him, or is it that the parents couldn't see that their own son was a sociopath?

message 40: by Nate (new)

Nate @NO ONe

That's a good point, and the same debate could be brought against violent TV shows. In fact there have been several cases over the years where people (mainly teens) have tried to use that as a defense in the courts. Saying that too much violence on TV had desensetized them to reality, and they didn't understand the severity of their actions. I say it's BS.

message 41: by No One (new)

No One (baka) Exactly. How far can someone go to actually lay the blame on TV shows or games? As we are born we learn the difference between right and wrong. I don't believe a TV show or a game can't change a "normal" person's morality to the point of murder.

message 42: by No One (new)

No One (baka) Mary Who Loves Da Rain wrote: "Rene wrote: "I barely play them, but it is okay. I believe it lacks creativity."

Haha, totally."

Games lack creativity? I must disagree with that statement. There are several games with great plots, as well as games with boring and idiotic plots. Maybe you just haven’t found a game which complies well with you.

message 43: by Ruchi (new)

Ruchi (ohlookitsruchi)
Games lack creativity? I must disagree with that statement. There a..."

I could not agree with this more. Games are wonderfully interactive stories, often with beautiful art. And they're so damn fun. I've played some MMORPGs, Fable, Portal, and too many to name. Those are most definitely my favorites, though.

Like everything else, moderation is the key.