« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Expected release: 2013
Director: Gary Ross
Based on the book by: Suzanne Collins
Screenplay writer: Billy Ray
(information as of 3 January 2011)

message 2: by Rae (new)

Rae Medina (raerae007) | 10 comments I just hope they dont totally mess it up (like they did Eragon) its going to be difficult, the characters have to be matched exactly right (i can't believe they considered Dakota Fanning for Katniss?!.... c'mon really?...) and so much of the story is whats going on in Katniss's mind, thats going to be hard to portray on film. But maybe they'll make it work...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Ew Dakota Fanning would be an awful Katniss!!

message 4: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (catsbooksandcritters) | 71 comments Mod
They apparently already decided who will play Katniss:
http://www.people.com/people/article/...
I really don't think she looks the part.

message 5: by Rae (last edited Mar 25, 2011 04:08PM) (new)

Rae Medina (raerae007) | 10 comments Well they could of done alot worse... she is one of the better ones ive seen... Ill decide if i like her or not once i see her in the previews, she might pull it off.

description

description

message 6: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (catsbooksandcritters) | 71 comments Mod
Rae wrote: "Well they could of done alot worse... she is one of the better ones ive seen... Ill decide if i like her or not once i see her in the previews, she might pull it off.

"

I'm trying to wait for the previews to pass judgment, but the article I linked to did say that she said: "I have a huge responsibility to the fans of this incredible book, and I don't take it lightly," she said Friday. "I will give everything I have to these movies and to this role to make it worthy of Suzanne Collins's masterpiece."

So that hopefully will lead to good things for this movie.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Josh Hutcherson? No!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I guess he is. But he just looks nothing like how I imagined Peeta. But yeah, you're right, Hollywood can fix that.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah if there's one thing Hollywood usually CAN do is make people look right. Except Harry Potter - he was supposed to have green eyes (I never forgave the movie industry for that).

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

They've decided on Gale!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2955013/

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole_sheree) A.S. Halsey wrote: "They've decided on Gale!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2955013/"

he is kind of hot in a preppie kind of way, but I didn't picture Gale as a hot guy, goodlooking but in a tough guy who has had a hard life. It'll be interesting to see how the tweak his appearance to fit Gale's personna.

But if you have a FB account, there's a FB page dedicatede to tracking the Films progress on the casting (has a link on the left side of page that says who are the tributues) and post various other things.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/th...

message 12: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 8 comments Hey Guys there is a complete cast list here

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392170/

I too am reserving judgement on Katniss. It isn't what I expected but she may pull it off. I actually like the casting of Liam Hemsworth as Gale. (maybe I am bias, he is an Aussie).

Overall there were some shocks for me,
Josh Hutcherson as Peeta?
Woody Harrelson as Haymitch? Really?
Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman?

message 13: by Jeretta (new)

Jeretta Hall-Robinson | 4 comments I and several of my Hunger Games friends have been quiet shocked with the casting. I'm still going to wait until the previews to reserve judgment. However, my hopes are not too high. I just hope it's not completely horrible like Percy Jackson. The movie was terrible!

message 14: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 39 comments I was totally shocked with the casting. Peeta and Katniss could't have been casted worse! Maybe the actors win me over with the way they portrait the roles, but so far I am just shocked. Plus all the other roles are casted with way too beautiful people I think.

message 15: by E.K. (new)

E.K. Martens (emily_k_martens) | 13 comments They do have a beautiful cast, however, they also picked good, solid actors all around. It wasn't all based on looks. Plus the author had major say in who they cast, so that tells me that she saw the essence of the characters in these people.

message 16: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 39 comments I would be glad if the actors win me over with their performance, but so far I am very dissappointed. If the author is happy with the cast, I shouldn't complain ;-) but I can't stop shaking my head! Mostly about Peeta!

message 17: by E.K. (new)

E.K. Martens (emily_k_martens) | 13 comments Yeah...I'll agree with you there. He's a good actor, but definitely not how I pictured the character!

message 18: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 39 comments I have never seen any of the actors - well in "action" I only had a look at the pictures on imdb. Well I can't wait to see some more, like the setting, the way the districts will look.

message 19: by E.K. (new)

E.K. Martens (emily_k_martens) | 13 comments Yeah, I'm excited for that too! They start shooting soon in a small-town in North Carolina, and I'm guessing that's going to be District 12.

message 21: by E.K. (new)

E.K. Martens (emily_k_martens) | 13 comments Just looked at that! So excited :D

message 22: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 39 comments The book came as a surprise to me, it was just a filler book until the second installment of the Uglies series arrived, and then it had won me over by page 2. And after I had inhaled it, I had to wait for the second part of that series as well!!
I am a bit worried about the movie in general, I don't wanna be disappointed!

message 23: by E.K. (new)

E.K. Martens (emily_k_martens) | 13 comments I always try to look at a film and a book as two separate entities (I love the Harry Potter books and films equally in different ways). However, I know what you mean. It's a little nervewracking. But Suzanne Collins is closely involved with the casting and the script, they've got an excellent director, solid actors and a good budget. The odds are in its favor :)

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa_wy) | 35 comments Woody Harrelson as Haymitch is an awesome pick I think.

message 25: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 39 comments Yes, he is, I also like the one portraying Katniss's mother.

message 26: by SassyFraz (new)

SassyFraz (khulett) I have to say these books were the best. I stumbled upon them and decided to give it a shot...wow! As far as the movie, I'm pretty much with everyone on this...ill wait till the preview to make judgement. I definitely do not agree on Peeta (josh h), but we'll see what hollywood can do. I think maybe they should switch Gale n Peeta hehe. All in all, so excited!!! Heard today its expected March 23 2012 !!!! :)

message 27: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 39 comments March 2012 isn't that far away! Less than a year! :-)

message 28: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 39 comments Am I blind or is there no Cinna in the Imdb casting list?

message 29: by SassyFraz (new)

SassyFraz (khulett) Ur right me either

message 30: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 39 comments

message 31: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 39 comments They can't have cut that role out for the movie can they??

message 32: by SassyFraz (new)

SassyFraz (khulett) Its hollywood, of course they can...they cut so many things out of movies that were books before :-/

message 33: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 39 comments True... but... sigh :-(

message 34: by E.K. (new)

E.K. Martens (emily_k_martens) | 13 comments No they're not cutting it, it hasn't been announced yet. They've just announced who's playing Portia and Octavia (two relative unknowns), but Cinna is the last major piece of casting to go.

message 35: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 39 comments Ah that's good news!

message 36: by SassyFraz (new)

SassyFraz (khulett) Yay!

message 37: by Veronika (new)

Veronika (vforveronika) i heard they cut out madge even though she did play a major role in the book (you know she was the one that gave Katniss the mockingjay pin to begin with)

http://www.hollywoodlife.com/2011/05/...

message 38: by E.K. (new)

E.K. Martens (emily_k_martens) | 13 comments Interesting...maybe the scene just didn't work for a movie. I wonder if they'll have someone else give her the pin for more dramatic effect (since she didn't turn out to be a very major part of the story otherwise).

message 39: by Veronika (new)

Veronika (vforveronika) i think they are going to make prim give her the pin instead

message 40: by E.K. (new)

E.K. Martens (emily_k_martens) | 13 comments That would make sense. It would mean a lot more to her in the arena.

message 41: by E.K. (new)

E.K. Martens (emily_k_martens) | 13 comments So, Lenny Kravitz has officially landed the role of Cinna. Not sure how I feel about that...

message 42: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa_wy) | 35 comments I pictured Cinna as an extremely stylish, short and asian?? anyone else?! But I love Lenny and I think he will do a good job...can't judge 'til I see the movie and no matter who is cast, I will DEF see the movie!!

message 43: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 39 comments NO! Lenny Kravitz as Cinna??? That's all wrong! (Not that Lenny isn't great and sexy and all, but he is NOT Cinna.) I didn't picture Cinna as Asian, but not tall, thin but lean and yes, very stylish. And way more on the gay side than Lenny could portray him! No, Lenny is all wrong...

message 44: by Veronika (new)

Veronika (vforveronika) I don't think Lenny was anyone's first choice lol. I pictured Christian Siriano from Project Runway. However, I think Lenny will be surprisingly good!

message 45: by E.K. (new)

E.K. Martens (emily_k_martens) | 13 comments I've never seen Lenny Kravitz act, so reserve judgement until I see the movie. I did picture him way more effeminate than their casting choice, but he may bring something to the role that I didn't think of before.

message 46: by Jed (new)

Jed (specklebang) | 38 comments Converting a book written in the first person is a huge challenge. The innermost thoughts are part of what we care about and video is, well, just moving pictures. I'll certainly go but I am keeping my expectations very, very, very low :-(

message 47: by SassyFraz (new)

SassyFraz (khulett) Jed wrote: "Converting a book written in the first person is a huge challenge. The innermost thoughts are part of what we care about and video is, well, just moving pictures. I'll certainly go but I am keeping..."

i agree with you, this why i fell in love with these books. although i am anxious to have a visual of the world. some of the chosen cast i do not agree with..

message 48: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashphil) | 1 comments I actually think that first-person is the refuge of poor writers. Don't get me wrong, I love HG and thought the story was great, but books like the Potter series that isn't falling back on first person 'inner thoughts' to catch you up is much stronger.

That being said, I think there is a very strong story, and therefore a very strong movie to be made here. I think the cast is pretty great. The posters that recently came out with Cinna and Effie look amazing. The one doubt I have is J. Lawrence but she is a solid actress, just didn't quite seem like Katniss to me.

But I always think it's safer to have low expectations so you can be pleasantly surprised. I plan to both have low expectations and be surprised :-)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope the movie is the same with the book and the time when Gale said let's go out of here and live in the woods is like he has a crush on katniss and d

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't mind that coment that I wrote, OK.

« previous 1