The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > New here, too

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cecily (new)

Cecily (thorn) | 13 comments I'm not sure exactly what the purpose of this group in, but it looks like a place to talk about books in general? Which sounds good to me, since that's something I haven't done much on goodreads so far.

And I'm always looking for recommendations of any sort if you know of anything I ought to try. :)

message 2: by Liesl (new)

Liesl (lieslm) | 170 comments Welcome, Thorn. I'm very new to this club too, but I'm having a blast reading (and participating in) the discussions. I'm finding lots of suggested reading here which is good because (even though I have about 75+ books on my TBR list) I'm always looking for new ideas in books to read. Jump right in, you'll find lots of recommendations!

message 3: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments Welcome Thorn! I wouldn't so much say that we have a purpose as we have all been drawn here to expound on our love of all things bookish. If you enjoy the struggle of reading the books you already own while at the same time buying more books than you could possibly read, then this is the book for you.

I see that you're reading Line of Beauty. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it. I read it when it won the Booker a few years back and was distinctly underwhelmed.

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Welcome Thorn.It's good to see a fellow Canadian in the club.Not to many of us around it seems.

No purpose other to TNBBC than to enable one another to greater heights of book buying and GRs addiction.

message 5: by Cecily (new)

Cecily (thorn) | 13 comments Thanks, everyone. :) I definitely have trouble with reading books faster than I buy them, or get them from the library.

Logan, I’m about one-third into The Line of Beauty. It may take me a while to finish since I usually read a lot of books at the same time. I’m enjoying it so far, although I tend to be someone who can find something to like about almost anything if the writing style isn’t awful.

message 6: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
Hey Thorn...
We used to only discuss books here, but as we got to know one another, we've opened up posts on just about everything.... Feel free to browse em all... The more new books you bring to the table, the better (for us) .. haa haa..

Hope you like the site!

message 7: by Tisha (last edited Aug 06, 2008 05:52PM) (new)

Tisha Welcome Thorn. This group is the best. I have since removed myself from all other groups but one because i get everything i need here! Absolutely EVERYTHING you could need book related and so much more... as I'm sure you've noticed!

I look forward to your posts!

message 8: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments I just joined.
This looks like an interesting group. Lots of posts. Thought I would give it a try!
I'm from Charlotte, NC!

message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Hi Kellie, welcome to the very best of groups(said with absolutely no bias on my part :)I noticed that you have the Stephanie Plum books on your shelf but didn't see #14 on your shelf.Any plans to read it?

message 10: by Val (new)

Val Nichols | 159 comments Heck, we might even get a post from Jimmy Hoffa....

Welcome, Kellie and Thorn!

message 11: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments Welcome Thorn and Kellie!

message 12: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments Fearless Fourteen, as a matter of fact, is at the top of Mount To Be Read.
Just got it from the library yesterday.
Trying desperately to get through Zookeepers Daughter and then I am off to the TWILIGHT zone

message 13: by Macy (new)

Macy | 155 comments Welcome, Thorn and Kellie!

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Welcome, Thorn and Kellie!

And Ken, you had me cracking up about the Amelia Earhart comment. Just what I needed while at work at 10:30 in the morning!

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) Hi Thorn and Kellie and welcome to the group.

message 16: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I'd be interested to hear what you think Kellie.I've heard some kind of negative reviews on it.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome, Thorn.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Thorn. You'll love the group. Lots of great recommendations & you'll make great friends too!

message 19: by ScottK (new)

ScottK | 535 comments A huge welcoome to both Thorn (I love that name) and Kellie !!!

message 20: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments Welcome to you all!!