Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > Cover Art

Comments Showing 1-50 of 142 (142 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments I have always loved the cover art from the '70's & '80's horror novels. But, it definitely went into the '90's also. But, it just wasn't seen on horror covers. Sci-Fi, Thriller/Mystery, Gothic Romance/Thriller's, etc. Even seen some cheesy one's from the '50's & '60's too. So, please don't think it has to be just horror covers, since we all read different genres...share them all!

So, look around the web for the edition you have or seen. I'm finding it a little hard searching for some covers ( the ones I'm finding are newer releases & not as cool! ), so I'm thinking, I'll just take a pic & post it that way.

And a big thanks goes to Will, with his fantastic blog on this subject. ( I did ask him first about my idea. )

Share those cheesy...what were they thinking...or just down right have a fear factor on the cover that grabs you!

If Bandit don't mind ( she has her whole collection of novels )....I'll post Ruby Jean Jensen from FF. Written from '82 till '95, Miss Jensen's cover art, covers (no pun intended) that time frame of wonderful cover art!

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/j/r...

message 3: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments Wow those are all great. I love original cover art whether it is old school or new. I REALLY hate it when they change a cover of a book to match the movie or TV Show.....if feel it is doing a disservice to the artist and perhaps the author as well.

message 4: by Lee (last edited Jan 22, 2011 02:32PM) (new)

Lee | 2502 comments "Women Running From Houses".....what a great site name for the old Gothic/Romance/Thrillers!

The expression on her face,eyes very wide....looks like she's looking into a mirror and saying, "Great, another bad hair day!"

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/a/k...

message 5: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments Yey, I love this new thread and thanks to Lee for posting Ruby Jean Jensen's books, she doesn't get the recognition she deserves

I'm gonna look through my collection for something to contribute

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments When I worked at a used bookstore in my early twenties, I got into the habit of reading gothic stories. The women in flowing gowns were always running away from a house and toward the moors or a cliff on the sea's edge. I can't imagine reading one now. *shudder*

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Tressa wrote: "When I worked at a used bookstore in my early twenties, I got into the habit of reading gothic stories. The women in flowing gowns were always running away from a house and toward the moors or a cl..."

Some of them actually aren't bad though i imagine they might be more the in between sort of books. I still collect and read them.

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I can't even imagine what the plots of gothic novels might be. I read just a few in a short amount of time and have forgotten them all.

message 9: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments A couple I have by B W Battin. His last three novels he wrote as Warner Lee, these two and his last novel.

A nice scary shower scene, eyes closed while rinsing your hair & you think you feel something touching your foot. You take a glance downward.... I also like the effect of the dripping design of the title.

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Pit-Warner...

I like the hooves & the extra long slender digits. But really....does this creature have an eating issue? He needs to get to the gym & work those legs!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28...

message 10: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments There is a section on the Rue Morgue message board with good and bad covers and there is one guy on there that posted some wicked awesome ones. Also, the RM book people are pretty swell!!

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Here's a few of my favorite covers from my collection :)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/1...

message 12: by Will (new)

Will Errickson (wille) That LADY SATIVA cover is insane! I love it!

message 14: by Will (new)

Will Errickson (wille) Wow, those are all great, and I had only seen the Chet Williamson title previously. Can't get enough of that vintage era...

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Good choices, Amanda.

Your last one there "Death Song".....I had to smile. That was one I wrote down at my local used book store last Fri. to post....but I couldn't find a pic on line of that edition. Thanks for the pic.

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Lee wrote: "Good choices, Amanda.

Your last one there "Death Song".....I had to smile. That was one I wrote down at my local used book store last Fri. to post....but I couldn't find a pic on line of that edit..."

I know! It's shame so many of these old books get forgotten and you can't find pics for them or at least ones that aren't tiny.

message 17: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments http://www.amazon.com/Lowland-Rider-C...

Here's another Chet Williamson cover, he's one of my favorites and this was the first book I read by him

message 18: by Will (new)

Will Errickson (wille) Amanda wrote: "It's shame so many of these old books get forgotten and you can't find pics for them or at least ones that aren't tiny."

You're right. However I became a Goodreads librarian so I could upload lots of missing covers for various horror novels that I have in my own collection. So many books without cover images!

message 19: by Will (new)

Will Errickson (wille) Cool. I have run into Chet's books in various bookstores but haven't bought any yet. Not even sure if I've ever read a short story by him...

message 20: by Bandit (last edited Jan 25, 2011 06:56AM) (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments Chet Williamson is exceptionally good, cheesy covers aside and all :)
I find his writing moving in the same way as Gary Braunbeck's or some Tim Lebbon's work.
I've read Lowland Rider, Dreamthorp, Second Chance, Ash Wednesday and Reign and the first four of those were 5 stars all the way, Reign was a bit weaker
now, if only I could ever find Soulstorm...

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Bandit wrote: "Chet Williamson is exceptionally good, cheesy covers aside and all :)
I find his writing moving in the same way as Gary Braunbeck's or some Tim Lebbon's work.
I've read Lowland Rider, Dreamthorp, S..."

I have to agree with Bandit, at least as far as Dreamthorp. I'd also say there's an edge of Laymon to his books but in this case it's less slasher flick and more really intense character study and surreal horror.

message 22: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments I only wish Williamson wrote more horror, he's quite prolific, but he does too many different genres

most of my Laymon collection is from the late great leisure horror, but a few are like this...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sJq42pXCZlI...

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Bandit wrote: "I only wish Williamson wrote more horror, he's quite prolific, but he does too many different genres

most of my Laymon collection is from the late great leisure horror, but a few are like this...
..."

That's the copy I read of that one. Such an odd cover!

message 24: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments yeah, here's another non-leisure Laymon I have

http://ie.ebid.net/for-sale/978074723...

I really like all the headline editions of his books, the art in those was great, but they are british and not as easy to find and cheap as leisure

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) I've seen that one around and yeah I agree they're a lot harder to get your hands on. One of the reasons I was so bummed out by Leisure going out was because they were my source for his books.

message 26: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments Leisure was my source for most authors, my budget doesn't give me too many options outside of mass market paperbacks...I was close to devastated when Leisure folded or "e-volved"

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Bandit wrote: "Leisure was my source for most authors, my budget doesn't give me too many options outside of mass market paperbacks...I was close to devastated when Leisure folded or "e-volved""

The same is true for me as far as new books. My only other sources are used books from thrift shops and book stores and the occasional lucky bid on ebay. I'm glad to have a stack of books to read yet for that reason and that so far my library is still a viable source for books.

message 28: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments I haven't done ebay in ages, these days I stick to used bookstores and library sales, sidewalk sales in the summer. I have a really huge TBR pile, but somehow it doesn't stop me from getting new books as I thought it would. Though I am just about out of space and then drastic measures will have to be taken...oy

message 29: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Bandit wrote: "I haven't done ebay in ages, these days I stick to used bookstores and library sales, sidewalk sales in the summer. I have a really huge TBR pile, but somehow it doesn't stop me from getting new bo..."

I only bid on the great auctions for less than $10 for several items and usually that's closer to tax season when I have the funds. Lol yeah I could use some more book shelves myself. Half of them are still in those Rubbermaid tubs.

message 30: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments I've always suspected that my books might (just might) be as claustrophobic as me, so I can't seem to keep them in boxes, ever. Even when I move, they are the first things I unpack. I can't get any more bookshelves, though, absolutely no space for it, I'm thinking of actually selling off some of my books, but the thought is too terrifying to carry out as of yet :)

message 31: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Asbury | 960 comments My books have always dominated my apt. wherever I have lived. Everytime I come across a cool old book I buy it. I wonder if there is a old cover showing books devouring a house and then the owner?

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Bandit wrote: "I've always suspected that my books might (just might) be as claustrophobic as me, so I can't seem to keep them in boxes, ever. Even when I move, they are the first things I unpack. I can't get any..."

I feel for you. I went through my books last year and I think i unloaded about a third of them that I just knew there was no way I'd get around to reading. I'd been stockpiling them for years snagging little stacks over time that ended up sitting around while I read others or kept getting stacks of other books from the library. Even knowing that it was tough to decide what to get rid of. the funny thing I was I ended up selling most of them to a used book store about half an hour away that i then bought more books from.

message 33: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments that would be an awesome cover, Tim

I've encountered two types of used bookstores so far, my favorite one where you trade in a book for each book plus you pay like $1.75 extra and other book stores where you trade in bulk amounts of books for credit and then spend that credit, the latter works out better for space, cause for every 4/5/6 books you only get one
bookstores around here don't pay very well for books...how about where you live?

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Bandit wrote: "that would be an awesome cover, Tim

I've encountered two types of used bookstores so far, my favorite one where you trade in a book for each book plus you pay like $1.75 extra and other book store..."

I think it was about 30 for a box of books so roughly 75 cents each or so maybe a little more for the hardbacks. The one in town is a trade in store but i haven't tried out her system to see how it works yet.

message 35: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments $.75 per book is not bad, the store closest to me offers a quarter per mass market paperback and maybe $.50 for any other type of book. Most places just give store credit.
I was thinking of maybe putting together horror lots by theme or something and posting them on ebay, but that sounds like a lot of work...or I'm just being lazy :)

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Bandit wrote: "$.75 per book is not bad, the store closest to me offers a quarter per mass market paperback and maybe $.50 for any other type of book. Most places just give store credit.
I was thinking of maybe p..."

Actually if you have any idea what books you might get rid of let me know and maybe I can buy some of them off you.

message 37: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments oh, that would be easy...I'll send you a private message, I guess, as to not misuse this thread

message 38: by Lee (last edited Jan 26, 2011 05:03PM) (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Bandit,

That "Resurrection Dreams" cover is classic. Right down to the young lady's 80's hair style!

"now, if only I could ever find Soulstorm"... I've made a note & I'll see if she has a copy at the book store.

message 39: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Now a couple of reptilian themes from John Russo (credited as the author of.. Night of the Living Dead )

I love his sunglasses, made out of snake...

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/j...

And you just have to have long newly manicured nails....to have a forked-tongue!

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/j...

message 40: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments oh, very nice, Lee
I hope you can find Soulstorm, that book and Children's Hour by Douglas Clegg have been eluding me for years and years
makes me think of the villain they have on the new tv show The Cape, his name is Scales and with a good reason

http://www.amazon.com/Vampire-Child-R...

I know Lee posted Jensen's book before, but how precious is this cover, the mullet, the mullet, the horror :)

message 41: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) That's my favorite Clegg besides The Halloween man which means I gotta find that book too :(

message 42: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments You've read Children's Hour, Amanda? where on earth did you find it?

message 43: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Bandit wrote: "You've read Children's Hour, Amanda? where on earth did you find it?"

Our library used to have it in the system and now doesn't :(

message 44: by Lee (last edited Jan 26, 2011 05:47PM) (new)

Lee | 2502 comments I'm going through a stack of 8-9 books at a time, to see what will work here....

With this one, I think it's the close-up pic of her face & wide eye. Just kind of eerie....

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Palm-Dome-Liz-Fult...

This little girls expression, makes me think of a first time actor, trying out for a bit part!

Grandma's Little Darling

This cover just screams, an 80's horror movie scene.....Will she & her son trip over something & tumble into the swamp

Nightfall

Ahhh....these new Select Comfort beds are amazing!

Ghostkiller

message 45: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Horror has some of the best cover art. The covers are usually tastefully done with good graphic design, but very direct and expressive of horror. My friend Bryan e-mails me pictures of covers of books he purchased. I'm usually very interested in the covers.

message 46: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Hey Amanda,

Here's my copy of "Death Song"...with different authors!!! :)

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/d...

Darn it, the pic is kinda small.

message 47: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments How about this recent cover of Carlton Mellick's Satan Burger?

message 48: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Glad I don't eat breakfast!!! :)

message 49: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Lee wrote: "Hey Amanda,

Here's my copy of "Death Song"...with different authors!!! :)

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/d...

Darn it, the pic is kinda small."

Man i bet there are oodles of books called Death Song lol.

Aloha I bet that'd be hard to read in public, lol

message 50: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Definitely get some attention, bad attention. LMAO!

« previous 1 3