SDMB - Straight Dope discussion

Help me pick a Stephen King book

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Cassa | 38 comments I've got three King books that I bought recently and I'm not sure which one to pick up to read. I've got Misery, Thinner, and The Green Mile. I've just finished The Stand last night, if that makes a difference.

Thanks, all!

message 2: by Pam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Pam | 87 comments I think any of those three would be fine. Thinner has more straight horror stuff -- curses, revenge, etc. Misery is a domestic drama/character study, and The Green Mile has some supernatural elements but reads like southern gothic. I liked all three. Green Mile will make you cry. Read them all.

message 3: by Cassa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Cassa | 38 comments Oh, I'll definitely be reading them all; I just need to pick one at a time!

Misery just played in the SciFi channel and I taped it, so I think I'll go with that first.

Watching The Stand just now. Saw The Green Mile a while ago, so maybe I'll read that after Misery. I like to keep my DVR clear.

message 4: by Smokinjbc (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Smokinjbc | 12 comments I think you are making the right choice with Misery. It was my first Stephen King book and I can still remember certain horror scenes almost verbatim. I was lucky enough to read it before I had seen the movie too. Green Mile would be my second choice- I don't think I ever got around to Thinner or if I did, I promptly forgot all about it.

message 5: by Cassa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Cassa | 38 comments Green Mile might be my next choice; I've already seen the movie and my dad says the book is a lot better. A friend just gave me Insomnia, but hasn't read it, so I don't have to rush into that as it's not like we'll be comparing notes.

message 6: by Red (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:00PM) (new)

Red Evans | 2 comments Your Dad was right!