Readers Against Prejudice and Racism discussion

Movies > The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 688 comments Mod
Starring the voices of : Jason Alexander, Tony Jay, Demi Moore and Kevin Kline

I really enjoyed this movie!! I agree that this was Disney's darkest movie since it dealt with the prejudice against the Gypsies and how the village people treated Quasimodo because of his looks. I liked how Esmerelda saw the good in Quasimodo and went past his ugly looks.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) The book was way different, but still would fit this group.

message 3: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Oh yeah! I read bits of the original book and it was much darker than the disney version.

message 4: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 21 comments Hmmm...for some reason, this is one of the few Disney movies I don't own. Not sure if that's just an oversight on my part or what. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I seem to remember it being pretty good. I think maybe I need to revisit it again.:-)

message 5: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "Hmmm...for some reason, this is one of the few Disney movies I don't own. Not sure if that's just an oversight on my part or what. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I seem to remember i..."

Yeah! It's a great movie and I still occasionally watch it whenever I got the time to.

message 6: by Blood Bone and Muscle (last edited Mar 08, 2012 06:05PM) (new)

Blood Bone and Muscle | 24 comments (The original title of the book was 'Notre Dame' like 'Our lady' but it isn't talking about Marie, the book in French isn't titled after the hunchback, in fact the real main character is Esmeralda. Every action orbits her being pushed around like the science of magnets).

I became depressed simply by reading the books' summary. Especially accompanied by 'Notre Dame De Paris -Belle' blaring in the background (Daniel Lavoie and Garou! Such sweethearts playing in an equally epic and gruesome tragedy). As much as the song holds allot of terrible metaphors it conveys the real emotional and mental state of the characters singing.

-The song with English subtitles-

In the true story Quasimodo's name is a mix of two latin words which put together "almost" and "the standard measure" respectively. As such, Quasimodo is "almost the standard measure" of a human person.

Don't forget that with the bells he is deaf and as a deaf man, he can't speak right. Than put his outer physical deformities...

Pauvre esprit. . .