Q&A with David Levithan discussion

Author Collaborations

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Regina (last edited Jan 21, 2011 08:40PM) (new)

Regina (regina214) | 1 comments I would like to first of say how much I admire your work. Time and time again you have amazed me with your creativity, humor and originality.
Secondly, I would like to know whether you prefer writing your own novels or collaborating with other authors, like you have with John Green and Rachel Cohn? How is the writing process different for the two separate styles?
“Love is a Higher Law” is my best friend’s absolute favorite novel of yours, as she weeps each time she reads it. In her honor, I would love to know where you found the inspiration for that story in particular.

message 2: by David (new)

David Levithan | 22 comments Hi Regina,

First of all, thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate them.

As for collaboration vs. solo work -- happily, I don't have to choose. I'm going to keep doing both, because I enjoy them both. As I often say, the things you find out when writing are very similar to the things you learn in life -- some things you figure out by talking to someone else, and some things you figure out all by yourself. I feel the novels are like that. The collaborations are not things I could have ever written myself, because they're born from the back-and-forth. Whereas the solo books are more my own.

Love is the Higher Law is a great example -- it's very much based on my own experiences on 9/11, which I split among three characters. I could have only written that myself.

Thanks again!
David