YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

Off-topic > You might be a book addict if...

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG just found this on The Story Siren's website! So funny!

#1 You buy your purses based on how many books you can fit inside.
#2 The Fed Ex and UPS carriers, know you by name.
#3 Your family refuses to buy you books because they don't want to support your habit.
#4 You own multiple versions of the same book.
#5 You dream about books. (Getting them... meeting the authors that write them.)
#6 You always have at least one book on you at all times. Even if it's just a quick trip to the dollar store.
#7 You usually help shoppers at the bookstore, because you are more knowledgeable than the staff.
#8 You've been known to skip family functions or outings with friends because you can't stop reading.
#9 There are books in every room of your house.
#10 If you are within five miles of a bookstore, you find yourself drawn to it like a homing device from the mothership.

Hmm...let's see, I am 1,3,4,5,6,8,and 10.

What about you guys? Are you book addicts?

message 2: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 6 comments I'm definately a book addict! I have a Nook now, but I still love the smell and feel of my books and how they look in my bookshelves. And the purse thing...I usually just take a suitcase of them wherever I go. Lol.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm the same way! I just got a Nook for Christmas and I love it...but I love my hard copies too! A suitcase? Girl, you're worse than me! :)

message 4: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 6 comments Lol. It's usually just when we stay gone for a week or more, but I feel so bad just leaving them behind...plus I never know which one I'll want to re-read. Haha.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I definitely know how you feel! I go through separation anxiety! That's why I'm glad I have a Nook now, I can buy what i want whenever I want!

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole_sheree) | 34 comments Okay, lets see...
I definitely used to be a #1, but I got a Nook for christmas, so only sometimes am I a #1 if a book I HAVE TO READ isn't available on my Nook.

Not really a #3, but my dad thinks I read too much. My mom is a huge supporter of my habit, but everyone else just complains.

#5 Definitely, but not so much meeting the authors as dreaming about the stories themselves, like my dreams are my own private unconcious movie screen.

Most Certainly am a #6- I go through withdrawls if I am without a book.

A total #8, my be with my dysfunctional family when I can escape into another world!

Definitely a #9, and a #10, but since I live close to 30 miles from the closest book store, internet is a must since I can use my wifi to download books!!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

30 miles away?! Oi! I would die! I go to Barnes and Noble at least a couple times a week!

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole_sheree) | 34 comments I wish I lived closer to town. I hate living in the country, but for now its home. But thankfully I get B&N online! Otherwise I'd go crazy!

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber (memyshelfandi) You've read 18 books already this year and it's only 22 days in....(guilty)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Holy cow! Man Amber you need some kind of award!

message 11: by Nyimah (new)

Nyimah I'm totally guilty of #8. I hate to stop reading to do stuff. Lol. Having the nook and reading books on my Iphone has been my downfall. I have two seasons worth of shows on my DVR. Lol

message 12: by Katie (last edited Jan 27, 2011 02:55PM) (new)

Katie Hi, my name is Katie and I am a book addict! I have to say that my Kindle has only made it worse. It's just too easy when I am all snug and I finish a book to just download another and not even have to make myself presentable to go out in public!!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

That's totally how I feel! I would be so rich if I didn't read haha :)

message 14: by lézengő reader (new)

lézengő reader (kergezerge) 1,4,5,6,7,9,10 LOL, it's confirmed I'm a bookaholic. ;-) No 3 and 8 as I have no family, but it could well be true :)
I so much hate moving home because of those heavy banana boxes full of books. And now should really buy more bookshelves... do I really need all these books? :D

Have you read The Uncommon Reader? It's a lovely and funny little book about the queen who in her seventies enters a mobile library near the palace by chance and gets on reading. I just read it in December and am sure it warms all book addicts' heart. :)

message 15: by Starry-Eyed Jen (new)

Starry-Eyed Jen (starryeyedjen) i'm a book addict and i'm totally not ashamed to admit it. :) only two (#2 and #7) on this list don't apply to me. i'd say that's sad, but i'm too proud of my book collection/addiction to really feel that way. =)

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 28, 2011 09:19AM) (new)

I guess this can also be our book addicts anonymous thread too haha. But we can't really help each other since we're totally all addicted. Hmm...never mind! Book addiction is okay!

@Zerge: I haven't read The Uncommon Reader. But it sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out! :)

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole_sheree) | 34 comments You're a book addict if you ask for a B&N gift card for your Birthday, and I am completely and entirely guilty of this one!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I am also guilty of that. I ask for B&N gift cards for every holiday. I totally admit my addiction!

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole_sheree) | 34 comments Since I recieved my Nook, I will de asking for gift cards from now on---for sure! =)

Getting books or book related stuff for gifts is an old time tradition for me. I remember when I was in the 5th grade I recieved a box full of RL Stine books from my grandfater for my birthday.

message 20: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Turner (ladybugt15) | 32 comments Well I have a kindle and my husband wanted to take me out to dinner. We were waiting on our food and he was talking to someone else so I got out my kindle and finished the book I was reading while I ate my food....lol

message 21: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Turner (ladybugt15) | 32 comments I'm all but #2 on the list but I guess read while on a date would probably take it's place...lol

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow...props to you Kristy haha :)

message 23: by Bethany (new)

Bethany I think I'm #s 5,7,8,10. I guess I could be much worse. I would classify myself more as a reading addict, rather than a book addict. If I could afford it...I would probably own way more literature. For the most part I just can't stop reading.

message 24: by Jen (new)

Jen (baynej) | 169 comments I'm an addict! :) 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10 all describe me. I actually made my basement into a library that currently contains about 700 books - I just can't seem to stop! :)

message 25: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (b_shively) | 3 comments #s 3,6,7,8,9,10 could all be used to describe me from time to time!!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess we're all addicts haha. And not afraid to admit it!!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

.....if you mentally edit mistakes in grammar in the books you read.

.....if the cashiers at Half-Priced books know you by name.

.....or, if you ever dated a cashier at H.P.B. in the hopes of getting a discount.

.....if you re-arrange the bookshelves at you friends' apartment by putting books in you think they should read, so you won't have to hear them talk about James Patterson EVER AGAIN ;)

message 28: by Bethany (new)

Bethany HHAAAAAHAAAAA! Larry, my man! You're too funny!! Did you really date someone at HPB hoping to get a discount??

message 29: by Alli (new)

Alli Chin (allic) I'm not sure if I'm a book addict or not, perhaps I'm in denial? Aha, for sure I always ask for Chapters (we don't have a B&N in Canada xD) cards for Christmas and Bdays and all. I carry books around with me almost everywhere and my teachers do not support my habit only when I read in class. I think I have my addiction under control x)

message 30: by Graciela (new)

Graciela Marez (marez3397) Ahahahahaha! Larry! Hahaha WTH? Hahahaha

message 31: by Graciela (new)

Graciela Marez (marez3397) And yes... my family doesn't buy me books to "support my habit." My excuse is that reading helps your education... I got a nook(color) for my birthday so that rules out lots of those #s for me. My mom will take my book away and she'll turn away and look back to find out I've already picked another book out of my bag....

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amonika) My obsession with books increased about 100% once I got my Kindle. I don't have books all over my house because of my Kindle, but almost all the others apply to me. I love the feel of books, but I love being able to carry my entire library with me, in my small purse. My family knows that if a holiday goes by and I don't get an Amazon gift card, I might get grumpy for a few days (I rely on holiday's to support my habit).

My contribution to that list is

when your husband starts referring to himself as a Kindle Widow to other people and you just smile and nod and then go back to reading.

message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie S. Wow, your husband is a Kindle Widower? :)

message 34: by Graciela (new)

Graciela Marez (marez3397) A kindle widow? hahahahahaha!

message 35: by Alli (new)

Alli Chin (allic) omgsh, that's funny xD

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amonika) Yeah, he actually heard it from a friend at work. It made me laugh the first time I heard it.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Why Bethany, a gentleman does not kiss and tell!

Especially when he's also romantically linked to a fair maiden of the Noble house of Barnes.

message 38: by Graciela (new)

Graciela Marez (marez3397) Larry wrote: "Why Bethany, a gentleman does not kiss and tell!

Especially when he's also romantically linked to a fair maiden of the Noble house of Barnes."

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG WHERE DO YOU GET THIS??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

message 39: by Bethany (new)

Bethany :D well, no matter. None of us (your fellow addicts) would protest anyway. This isn't AA...we fully support your habit!!

message 40: by Alli (new)

Alli Chin (allic) AA? Alcoholics Anonymous? aha...

message 41: by Faye (new)

Faye  | 2 comments all 10 except I have to amend point 3... my family don't buy me books because I have so many, 2,500 treebooks and now over 800 on my Kindle. The only way I can get book is to give my family a list of what I'd like and they will choose a couple , that way I can get a lovely surprise on Birthday's/Xmas

message 42: by Francesca (new)

Francesca (francesca2106) You know you're a book addict when...you keep buying them even though there is NO more space and you refuse to throw any out

Guilty as charged :D

YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Uncommon Reader (other topics)