Shrink Rap (Psychology Books) discussion

All about Books > Favorite Psychotherapy Texts

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:08AM) (new)

Jonathan Ridenour | 8 comments Thought I'd start a topic...

message 2: by Melinda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Melinda Ok, I'll add something. My favorite text was Yalom's Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy. I found his writing easy to read and it helped me better understand his theory of psychology both in group and individual circumstances.

message 3: by Jonathan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Jonathan Ridenour | 8 comments I love all of Nancy McWilliam's book for intro to psychodynamic therapy. Fred Pine's Drive, Ego, Object, and Self has some great chapters on clinical work. Yalom's Gift of Therapy is a great resource, but more of a bathroom read (with 1 page chapters). Yalom's Love Executioner is a fun read for anyone! A good intro to psychotherapy and the therapeutic alliance is Teybor's Interpersonal Psychotherapy.

message 4: by Brooklyn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Brooklyn | 3 comments I loved 'Welcome to My Country' by Lauren Slater and Owen Renik's 'Practical Psychoanalysis for Therapists and Patients.' As a doctoral grad student, I've read a whole lot of psych texts, and these I found for myself and loved the authentic and genuinely human feel of both books.

message 5: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Michelle | 2 comments I actually had the opportunity to hear Nancy McWilliams give a talk. It was amazing and very insightful! It case presentation of an individual who never quite understood how to conect with her emotions. If you ever get the opportunity to hear her, it is worth it. I drove 4 hours to Canton, OH and was pleasantly surprised (sometime brilliant people are poor public speakers).

message 6: by Brooklyn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Brooklyn | 3 comments Wow, Michelle, I would have loved to have seen her speak also! That's really neat.

I wanted to add another text that's been really useful in my clinical work. I've found Patrick Casement's "Learning from the Patient" added to the levels that I listen to patient communications.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Has anybody read If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him! The Pilgrimage of Psychotherapy Patients
by Sheldon Kopp?

Is it still relevant? Was it enjoyable? What about from the perspective of a patient rather than a clinical worker?

Thanks