Q&A with Syrie James discussion

Writing About Vampires

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Syrie (last edited Jan 21, 2011 10:13PM) (new)

Syrie James | 44 comments Mod
I love “good vampires,” creatures with a heart, soul, and conscience. It’s very compelling to me to write about characters who were good when they were human, and who remain good after they've been changed—but wage a battle every day to restrain their primal urges.

I'm especially a fan of dashing, charismatic, passionate, highly intelligent, accomplished men (Mr. Darcy types)-- and making them a reluctant vampire who falls in love with a mortal woman adds something thrilling and delicious to the mix!

What kind of vampires do you like to read about?

If you could be any paranormal or have any one supernatural talent, what would it be? Why?

Want to chat about my version of Dracula, or Michael Tyler in Nocturne? Have at it!

Jana at ThatArtsyReaderGirl.com (miss_jana) I absolutely loved Michael Tyler and enjoyed reading through his character development. Was his character inspired by someone in your life?

**SPOILER FOR DRACULA, MY LOVE!**

And your Dracula... He was strong, sexy, deceptive, evil, manipulative, and extremely romantic! But you're right, he was very smart and incredibly distinguished. Some might disagree with me here, but I enjoyed watching him finally reach his breaking point with her. He tried and tried to be honest and human, but that kernel of evil in him took over and he lost her in the end. He did try to redeem himself, though. I just loved it!

Jana at ThatArtsyReaderGirl.com (miss_jana) Oh, another question! Sorry, I'm full of questions!

I found it interesting that Michael could communicate with his horses, but am curious as to why he could not communicate with other animals as well. What was your thought process that led you to that decision? I bet he would have loved to communicate with a certain other animal in the book, if you know what I mean!

message 4: by Syrie (new)

Jana wrote: "I absolutely loved Michael Tyler and enjoyed reading through his character development. Was his character inspired by someone in your life?"

Michael was inspired by my love for Mr. Darcy! Admittedly, he does share a few of my husband's traits, but mainly it was me conjuring up the type of man I'd fall madly in love with, if I was snowbound with him for four days.

message 5: by Syrie (new)

Jana wrote: "I found it interesting that Michael could communicate with his horses, but am curious as to why he could not communicate with other animals as as well. What was your thought process that led you to that decision?"

I loved it that Bram Stoker's Dracula was able to communicate with horses, and wanted to focus on that exclusively in this book. I didn't want to turn Michael into Dr. Doolittle. For the climax to work, it's important that he can't communicate with certain other animals (if you know what I mean!) I hope readers will find Michael's relationship with horses very special and kind of magical.

Jana at ThatArtsyReaderGirl.com (miss_jana) I definitely enjoyed his relationship with the horses. It was incredibly sweet, and magical like you said. Now that you mention it, I understand why he could not communicate with more animals. It would not have been as special, and he would have come off as Doctor Doolittle.

Dracula, My Love is the book that made me decide to read Bram Stoker's Dracula. I just need to get my hands on it!