BookCrossing Reading Room discussion

What's in a name?

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela (kairon13) | 13 comments Mod
I called this group Alternate Bookcrossers because I had to call it something, but we can change the name if anyone has any good suggestions. (If there are several that people like, I could set up a poll.)
Also, if anyone has a good idea for a picture, that would be cool too.

message 2: by Teotakuu (new)

Teotakuu | 25 comments BookCrossing Renegades?? Seriously, no ideas for the name or photo / icon but I am sure one or more of the talented lot we know may come up with something apt.

message 3: by Antof9 (new)

Antof9 | 15 comments ohmyword, I love Punk BCers! I like Renegades too, but that *is* already an established group in London, right? Maybe we shouldn't co-opt that name.

What about just "Rebels"? Or something more along the lines of BCers Against Rules?

message 4: by Gail (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) Hehe - I can't think of anything punchy. Renegade lurkers. BCers for freedom. Free BC. Freedom to lurk. Lurkers in exile. Non-conforming BCers. Naughty anarchist BCers. Revolting BCers. Lurk, read and be merry. :-)

If we were punk BCers, the Ballycumber could be adapted to include some punk hair and a safety pin through its spine! :-)

message 5: by mary (new)

mary (zz-neena) | 2 comments @Gail - Revolting BCers DOES have a ring to it!

message 6: by Elise (new)

Elise Ravenclaw (eliseravenclaw) Did I mention that I like the word "lurking"? I like "Renegade" too. It should definitely have the word Bookcrossers in it. Lurking BCers? I liked Cathy's suggestion for a motto: "Make lurking awesome, read a book!" (see welcome thread).
I'm picturing a ballycumber, in the dark, holding a lighted match in its hand. Lurking from the shadows... Wish I could draw! But the one Gail suggested, slaking on the sofa is cute too!
I've already posted more here in the last 24 hours than over in the other group in 2 years! I guess I'm on my way of becoming active! Oh, the horror!

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookczuk) I would appreciate a name change, because Alternate makes me feel as if the other group is The Real BookCrossers group.

I'm not not feeling clever enough to come up with something edgy and clever (see I used the same word twice in a sentence -- clearly time for more tea.)

After all, even with such a short history, this group already seems more in the true spirit of BookCrossing.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookczuk) My granddaughter just suggested BookCrossers Against Rules, which shortens delightfully to BAR.

message 9: by Gail (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) Bookczuk wrote: "I would appreciate a name change, because Alternate makes me feel as if the other group is The Real BookCrossers group.

Yes, this is exactly what I feel. I was being silly with my suggestions, but to be honest I'd quite like to have a name that makes this sound like it's a regular bookcrossing group - rather than a rebellious offshoot that isn't the real one! Something simple like 'The Bookcrossers Lounge' (I can't come up with edgy names either!). Something that suggests we're bookcrossers who come here to relax and have fun.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookczuk) BookCrossers Reading Room?

You can be quiet or not as you please. Kick your shoes off, have a cuppa your favorite beverage, relax, and enjoy.

I like the lounge idea, but it can have different connotations than just a place to relax. I see Bally in a cheap, shiny suit, singing softly and trying to pick up girls.

message 11: by Elise (new)

Elise Ravenclaw (eliseravenclaw) I like BookCrossers Reading Room, does sound relaxing and doesn't sound like we are competing with the other group.

message 12: by Gail (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) Haha - yes, I wasn't really comfortable with 'lounge'. 'Bookcrossers Reading Room' is way better - love it.

message 13: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Storey (laurelstoreyczt) | 7 comments BookCrossers Unbound!

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookczuk) Dawn wrote: "BookCrossers Unbound!"

Does that mean we're scattered? ;-)

message 15: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Storey (laurelstoreyczt) | 7 comments Bookczuk wrote: "Dawn wrote: "BookCrossers Unbound!"

Does that mean we're scattered? ;-)"

...and blowing in the wind!

message 16: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathepsut) Bookczuk wrote: "My granddaughter just suggested BookCrossers Against Rules, which shortens delightfully to BAR."
Cheers! :-)

BookCrossers Cafe?

I like BokCrosser's Reading Room. BookCrossers' Reading Room? I'm having an apostrophe moment...

message 17: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Storey (laurelstoreyczt) | 7 comments How about BookCrossing Reading Room? No need to worry about apostrophes then!

message 18: by Skyring (new)

Skyring | 7 comments BRR! Can we save that one for winter?

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookczuk) I like BookCrossing Reading Room.

And skyring, it's winter here, so chill out. :)

message 20: by Skyring (new)

Skyring | 7 comments OK, that's cool!

message 21: by Skyring (new)

Skyring | 7 comments Oh hey, what about a logo?

Though the default question mark Goodreads supplies is kinda niftey.

message 22: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Storey (laurelstoreyczt) | 7 comments Skyring wrote: "Oh hey, what about a logo?

Though the default question mark Goodreads supplies is kinda niftey."

Skyring - check out the "Welcome" thread - Gail posted a great possible logo!

message 23: by Antof9 (new)

Antof9 | 15 comments I'm a fan of BookCrossing Reading Room -- because if anyone asks why we're inactive, the answer is in our name! duh.

message 24: by Moem (new)

Moem | 12 comments I'm liking it too. It's friendly and it doesn't emphasize this group as the 'other' one.

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookczuk) Moem wrote: "I'm liking it too. It's friendly and it doesn't emphasize this group as the 'other' one."

(Or the other one as the 'other" one!)

message 26: by Teotakuu (new)

Teotakuu | 25 comments BookCrossing Reading Room sounds great although I have a sneaking fondness for something that spells BAR!!

message 27: by Angela (new)

OK, just added a poll!

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookczuk) Thanks for adding the icon. The No Rules BookCrossers, whatever we decide to call ourselves, will certainly live up to that image! In fact, I think I'll spend the morning living up to that image!

message 29: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Gail wrote: "Hehe - I can't think of anything punchy. Renegade lurkers. BCers for freedom. Free BC. Freedom to lurk. Lurkers in exile. Non-conforming BCers. Naughty anarchist BCers. Revolting BCers. Lurk, read ..."

*grins* I like Lurkers in Exile! Revolting bcers has that ring to it as well. I've always wanted to be a revolting bcer...

message 30: by Ann (new)

Ann (bookwoman247) | 7 comments This is probably too late, but now I kinda like 1000post Women and Tokenmen. ;-)

message 31: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie (theartofstudent) I like BookCrossers Reading Room :) Gives the impression of a chilled out place to curl up with a book :)

message 32: by Bookguide (new)

Bookguide | 9 comments Ann wrote: "This is probably too late, but now I kinda like 1000post Women and Tokenmen. ;-)"

Ha ha, that's a good topical name. Would we remember why though in a year's time?
A 4000-poster;-)

message 33: by Angela (new)

Well, half of those who voted chose BookCrossing Reading Room, so that's what it shall be!

message 34: by Ann (new)

Ann (bookwoman247) | 7 comments Kairon13 wrote: "Well, half of those who voted chose BookCrossing Reading Room, so that's what it shall be!"

Yay! I like that one!

message 35: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookczuk) That's a very welcoming mental image. Now I'm going to pull up a virtual chair, make a cuppa and enjoy the company. :)