BOOK-A-HOLICS discussion

Welcome Center > I met a Book-A-Holic

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
Someone came in my bookstore last week and spent an abnormal amount of money in my store.
She probably spent close to 700.00 in two days appearing in my store 4 times in those two days. At times spending $100.00 bills and others using credit cards. That is a lot of money considering it is a used bookstore. She only bought books that had age to them. If the books was falling apart it did not matter.

God Bless this lady.
I think I personally could have restrained myself from some of the purchases like this but she surpasses my own obsession. Maybe only because she has more money than me I don't know.

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy I'm so jealous of that lady. I wish I had unlimited funds to indulge my obsession. Although, my house is quite full of books without funds.

I can't even imagine how many books that ended up being. I went to the VNSA book sale (Warehouse full of super-cheap books once a year - Feb. 14-15 for those in the Phoenix area)and I spent $100 to get 55 books. She must have unlimited space and funds!

What a boon for the store!

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie I am so, so jealous of her.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I am so jealous of her too! You know how many books I can get with 700 bucks?!!.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (glinda) | 3 comments I am so jealous. I even have a big barn to put all my books in someday, so buying at that rate wouldn't be a problem in terms of space. (I do have to leave room for the tractor though.) Now if only I could win the lottery...

message 6: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Lisa beware of mold, mildew and moisture. Barns are not the best place to keep books unless it is super dry.

message 7: by Candy (new)

Candy Wow that is great huh? Did you tell her to join us at this site and get us all talking?

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mouser083) I did that once. I first got a job when I was fourteen so when it came time for income tax, I got back $600 and my mother let me spend it how I want instead of saving it like my checks. So I went to my local mom and pop bookstore and bought all $600 worth of books. I don't regret it at all. It made me the happiest person for a long time. My mom jokes about it to this day still and says at least I didn't buy rubbish. I still have every single book =) I reread them constantly.

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth Spending that money on books is a lot better idea, in my mind, than spending it on Starbucks coffee, or energy drinks, or sodas, or all the other high-priced, high-sugar, high-caffeine beverages people stuff themselves with rather than good old water. Much better to stuff yourself with all those words!

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim | 3 comments mmm yes, but I buy the books and the coffee! Lol.

message 11: by Wes, Moderator (new)

I would have invited her to the group but unfortunately I never met her, my employee helped her while I was working my full time job.

message 12: by Danielle (last edited Mar 12, 2009 02:04PM) (new)

Danielle (daniness) | 2 comments

If I had,that is had, $700 that I could spend on books I might be that woman. When business was better and w/ children at various ages $200 at a time per trip was not unusual,for books intended to be read that week.Then there is books to collect that is something totally different.She may have been a little of both.
I am really excited for you and ever am I in your neck of the woods my family and I will pay your nook a visit.

message 13: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Sounds great I hope you do I could use the business. Things have been slow in the used book business.

message 14: by Tyler Banks (new)

Tyler Banks (capital_tea) | 7 comments Find myself throwing down about $200 a month when I am in my stride on Comics and assorted liturature. Right now I am trying to sock some of my money away for a coming move, and I can by anything due to the obvious change of address and stuff like that... and you can't imagine how painful it is for me! I see so many things I want to have and to hold, and Burn through, but I can't... I am starting to get the shakes!

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (porterak) This is what I can be like when our local library has sales every four months of the year. I can go and buy books that would probably equal $700 at original cost. Luckily they are only $.25 or $.50 for paperbacks and $1.00 for hardbacks. It is so much fun and you can really find some cool stuff. I found a Nicolas Sparks book signed by him. Can't believe someone would donate that to be sold.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I visited America in 2008 when the exchange rate was doubled. (£ --> $)... Over the course of the month that my friend was with me we spent £500 ($1000) in various bookshops (most of them second hand)... then we had to get the books home. I presume I still have clothing in America. I literally went to the airport, the case was 12lb over, and one package of clothing was 13lb... I took it out, handed it to my friend and said "you don't need clothes to read" then got on the plane..

message 17: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Kasi wrote: "I visited America in 2008 when the exchange rate was doubled. (£ --> $)... Over the course of the month that my friend was with me we spent £500 ($1000) in various bookshops (most of them second ha..."

International Dedication. :)

message 18: by Al "Tank" (new)

Al "Tank" (alkalar) | 114 comments Kasi wrote: "I visited America in 2008 when the exchange rate was doubled. (£ --> $)... Over the course of the month that my friend was with me we spent £500 ($1000) in various bookshops (most of them second ha..."

Now THAT'S a true Book-a-holic!!!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

My mum wasn't true happy about it, but I don't think she understood? When I threw out my bed (not long after that) to make space for more books in the room I was in, and started sleeping on the floor, I think she got it? She eventually moved me to a bigger room...Now i'm going to be moving house (i've run out of space again).

message 20: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kshelley83) | 17 comments If I ever become rich that is exactly how I will behave.

message 21: by Wes, Moderator (new)

There is a difference between being a Book-A-Holic and a hoarder. You may want to check out a local book exchange to trade some unwanted books in to get others. It will keep a flow in the room instead of clutter and save money on the books you want at the same time.

message 22: by Wes, Moderator (new)

message 23: by Al "Tank" (new)

Al "Tank" (alkalar) | 114 comments Kasi wrote: "My mum wasn't true happy about it, but I don't think she understood? When I threw out my bed (not long after that) to make space for more books in the room I was in, and started sleeping on the flo..."

If you can deal with it, perhaps an eReader would help. You can store over 1000 books on many of them in the space of one paperback book.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha! That used to be me. I just slept in the small space in the middle of my room that wasn't book...or computer.

I find it difficult to get rid of my books because I have every intention of building up my own library. Occasionally I have to go and put ones I know I wont be reading for a while, away in boxes (things like poetry and plays) but - especially studying them - means that I'm constantly refering back to them. What makes me a book-a-holic is mostly that I jsut don't have enough time to read all the ones i've got already and I can't help buying more. Economic restraints will mean that isn't a worry for a while, i'll have time to read them, but I bought two books yesterday so....

I do have a tendancy to lose them over time though. Not through general loss, but I cannot help handing books to people if they say they'd like to read them. My aunt has had one since before my beautiful Goddaughter was born. My Goddaughter is now five. My mum destroyed one reading it on the bus.. people I just met for a couple of weeks have ones I couldn't help encouraging others to read...I hand out copies of Wuthering Heights like they're candy. I love sharing my books, but, especially if i've liked a book, and even if I haven't, I can't give them up.

As for e-books... I have a Kindle, and I read on my Ipod sometimes too. I actually cracked a rib my last year of study (the combination of the new, foldaway bed my parents got me to stop me being on the floor when I moved into the bigger room and carrying books everyday. It meant that for a year I was in pain carrying the books to and from school but I couldn't stop so for my graduate my Dad got me the Kindle which had just come out. I don't have an aversion to ebooks. Sometimes they're great (and i'll probably read War and Peace on there and so on...) but I can't help buying a solid copy if i've enjoyed the book on the reader? On the plus side, it has saved some money. Being able to have a 'Sample' sent from Amazon means I can read a little and know whether or not a book is worth my buying?