Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Mochi or no-chi?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Mochi ice cream is a Japanese dessert made of a doughy pastry wrapped around an ice cream center. Wikipedia says the dough is usually pounded sticky rice, but it doesn't taste like it to me.

I usually like it, but I bought Trader Joe's non-dairy coconut milk mochi variety pack the other day and was greatly disappointed. Zu said I should have known from 'non-dairy' but I thought coconut milk would compensate. Anyway, the dough tasted like play-dough, and the ratio of dough to center was way off.

All in all, I like it: chocolate, mango, strawberry, green tea. Yum.

message 2: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I've never had it, so I've still got an open mind.

message 3: by Heidi (last edited Jan 21, 2011 11:46AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments HOOOMG, I'm a HUGE fan of mochi. :D

Alot of the frozen yogurt shops are offering it alongside fresh fruit and chocolate as toppings. When I go into yogurt shops, I always get the mochi as a topping. I've never had it prepared in the way you mention, though, Sarah.

My friend Carrie makes it from scratch. :)

message 4: by Heidi (last edited Jan 21, 2011 11:54AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Microwave mochi recipe:

HOW TO MAKE MICROWAVE MOCHI

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Heidi wrote: "HOOOMG, I'm a HUGE fan of mochi. :D

Alot of the frozen yogurt shops are offering it alongside fresh fruit and chocolate as toppings. When I go into yogurt shops, I always get the mochi as a topp..."

Wait, I can't picture it as a topping. All of the mochi I've ever had has been slightly larger than a donut hole.

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments As a yogurt topping:

message 7: by Heidi (last edited Jan 21, 2011 11:58AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Another pic of mochi topping:

[image error]

It's pretty good with fresh strawberries. I also like it with fresh blueberries. It's about the size of miniature marshmallows.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Huh. I've never seen that before!
Also from wikipedia:
Small balls of ice cream are wrapped inside a mochi covering to make mochi ice cream. In Japan this is manufactured by the conglomerate Lotte under the name Yukimi Daifuku, "snow-viewing daifuku". In the United States the grocery chains Trader Joe's, H Mart, and Mollie Stone's sell mochi ice cream in flavors of chocolate, mango, coconut, green tea, coffee, red bean, vanilla, and strawberry. Mikawaya, a Japanese-owned company operating in Los Angeles, manufactures the variety that is sold by Trader Joe's and Mollie Stone's. The New Central Market in Anchorage Alaska provides a variety of mochi and mochi ice cream products throughout Alaska. The Pinkberry, Yogen Fruz, Yogurtland and Red Mango frozen yogurt chains also offer mochi as standard topping on their desserts (with Red Mango offering it on their secret menu), available upon request from customers. International frozen yogurt chains that offer mochi as a topping include Indonesia's J.CO Donuts.

message 9: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I found a pic of the yogurt with mochi and blueberries... NOM!

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael I'd try it but I don't think I'd like it because of the "doughy" description.

message 11: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Red Mango's one of my fave yogurt stops, Sarah P.

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Michael wrote: "I'd try it but I don't think I'd like it because of the "doughy" description."

Michael, just like fresh fruit gets crunchy/hard when it's frozen (and that'll happen to it when it's sitting in a cup with frozen yogurt or ice cream), mochi does, too. I'd describe it as being more chewy... like the consistency of a soft gummy bear.

message 13: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i've never tried it, but when i come across it i will.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24360 comments Mod
I've never had this. If I see it in the grocery store perhaps I'll give it a try.

message 15: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jan 21, 2011 03:34PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I really like Mochi.

When I was in Japan, I used to find that vendors would make their own fresh ice cream and wrap it in rice wafers. That stuff was awesome.

I also really liked their versions of cream puffs. There was a store outside one of the train stations in Yokohama that would have loooooong lines of people waiting patiently to get these huge (like softball sized) cream puffs. Not sure what they did differently, but they were amazing.

Then again, there was this waffle cookie stuff I used to get a street fair that had melted chocolate inside...sigh.

I could eat my way through Japan just in desserts.

Every once in a while I'll have to grab Pocky from the grocery store now. Ours doesn't sell Mochi, so I'd have to go to an Asian market to get it.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments What, exactly makes a Pocky a "Men's" Pocky, one wonders...

And is there a "Women's" Pocky, and if not, why NOT?!

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I know the answer! Men's Pocky is dark chocolate. Cause you have to be manly to deal with the bitterness. I love Pocky.

message 18: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Love mochi! I still buy it. It's best when it's stuffed with ice cream.

But I love most Japanese food. Men's Pocky rocks.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Hungry now...

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Rachel wrote: "Hungry now..."

Were you being evil Willow on purpose? 'Cause I watched that episode this afternoon and she said it just like that.

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Hahaha!!! Nope! Complete coincidence... or was it?

message 22: by Heidi (last edited Jan 27, 2011 06:12AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments HOOOO-ly smokes! I just ran across this fabulousness:

moffles (or mochi waffles)

The Moffles Maker

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments That is bizarrely cool.

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I want one.

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments I wouldn't even know where to get one!

message 26: by Heidi (last edited Jan 27, 2011 06:53AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Rachel wrote: "I wouldn't even know where to get one!"

I'll bet you can find it online and purchase it. :)

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Haha! Perhaps when I find out what Mochi tastes like. :D

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I had my first mochi ice cream ball today. It was a mini one... with green tea ice cream in the middle. It was about the size of a medium strawberry. Best of all, ithey're only 12 carbs for 3... so it was only 4 carbs. :) It was my first sweet in a long while and the last I'll need for a long while. My craving started with this thread and I thought it would never go away. It was good. Craving, gone.

message 29: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Is mochi chewy or crunchy?

message 30: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Definitely chewy. :) It's like it made ice cream hand holdable without interfering with the flavor or freezing and getting hard.

message 31: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24360 comments Mod
I just had a strawberry mochi. Is it supposed to be floury on the outside? My fingers were covered in messy flour as I ate it.

message 32: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I just had a strawberry mochi. Is it supposed to be floury on the outside? My fingers were covered in messy flour as I ate it."

Yes it is. The flour keeps the dough from sticking to your fingers (and other stuff) while consuming.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.