Best Teen Books discussion

Skinny Book Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (last edited Jan 21, 2011 09:45AM) (new)

Sandra Jones (viajara) | 8 comments I work with reluctant YA readers. Though some have worked through their "fat book" issues, (thank you Mses. Rowling and Meyer), there are many who would prefer a book under 200 pages. I'm having a difficult time finding "skinny books" with a 4.0-12.0 reading level that are interesting to YA readers. The following books are good examples of what I'm looking for:

-Party Girl / Lynne Ewing
-Go Ask Alice / Anonymous
-Muchacho / LouAnne Johnson
-I Heart You, You Haunt Me / Lisa Schroeder
-The Rose That Grew from Concrete / Tupac Shakur
-Of Mice and Men / John Steinbeck
-Life in Prison / Stanley "Tookie" Williams
-Jumped / Rita Williams-Garcia

Thank you in advance for your help!

message 2: by Viola (new)

Viola | 11 comments Tons of my girls with "fat book" issues have enjoyed Living Dead Girl. They've read it really quickly.

message 3: by Angela Sunshine (last edited Jan 21, 2011 02:21PM) (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Living Dead Girl is good but pretty intense, definitely for mature readers.

I thought of these ones too. Some are for mature readers, some are more general:
How I Live Now
The Giver
Speak
Wake
Hatchet
The First Part Last
Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History (graphic novel)
Black-Eyed Suzie
Cut
most books by Joan Lowery Nixon
Story of a Girl
Fat Kid Rules the World
The Secret Year

message 4: by Viola (new)

Viola | 11 comments I don't know if Deadline by Chris Crutcher fits in the "fat book" category, but every single kid I've given that book to has LOVED it. Every one of them.

message 5: by Ally (new)

Ally | 6 comments Try Anne Spollen's books for YA readers and her two books are called The Shape Of Water and Light Beneath Ferns. There like 210 pages max and i really liked them.

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimbeaumont) | 8 comments So did I and I recommend it to students all the time!
Viola wrote: "I don't know if Deadline by Chris Crutcher fits in the "fat book" category, but every single kid I've given that book to has LOVED it. Every one of them."

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimbeaumont) | 8 comments Sandra wrote: "I work with reluctant YA readers. Though some have worked through their "fat book" issues, (thank you Mses. Rowling and Meyer), there are many who would prefer a book under 200 pages. I'm having a..."

Boys at my school love sports books. Their favorite authors are Matt Christopher, Carl Deuker, and Mike Lupica. Most of those are thin books.

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimbeaumont) | 8 comments Sandra wrote: "I work with reluctant YA readers. Though some have worked through their "fat book" issues, (thank you Mses. Rowling and Meyer), there are many who would prefer a book under 200 pages. I'm having a..."

Boot Camp by Strasser was pretty good.
Leslie's Journal by Stratton.
The Compound by Bodeen.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisaschroeder) | 6 comments I'm so glad your students have enjoyed I HEART YOU. I think verse novels can be great for reluctant readers, and many kids who write to me say, "I usually hate to read, but I love your books." Even though my other ones are longer, they are also quick reads.

Since I get asked for other books all the time, thought I'd share what I often recommend:

the WAKE series by Lisa McMann
WHAT MY MOTHER DOESN'T KNOW by Sonya Sones
IF I STAY by Gayle Foreman (and WHERE SHE WENT coming this spring)
GIRL, STOLEN by April Henry
JUMPING OFF SWINGS by Jo Knowles
NOTHING LIKE YOU by Lauren Strasnick
BECAUSE I AM FURNITURE by Thalia Chaltas

message 10: by Pasha (new)

Pasha | 1 comments Skinny books that will hold kids' interest -

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen -- adventure

I Am the Cheese - Robert Cormier - boy protag

Light Beneath Ferns - Anne Spollen - ghost/paranormal

All good stories, all move along and are well written.

Good luck with your reluctant readers!

message 11: by Al "Tank" (new)

Al "Tank" (alkalar) | 7 comments If you can deal with digital books, John Bower's Joseph Lexxus and the Drug Runners of Altair is a science fiction book (Hardy Boys in space sort of thing) that runs the equivalent of 118 pages in a mass market paperback.

http://www.akwbooks.com/BookStore/pro...

message 12: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 236 comments My reluctant students just love Simone Elkeles' books Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1) by Simone Elkeles and Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry, #2) by Simone Elkeles . Also author Eirean Corrigan books Splintering by Eireann Corrigan . They like Perfect by Natasha Friend by Natasha Friend and the Elizabeth Scott books like Bloom by Elizabeth Scott and Something, Maybe by Elizabeth Scott and The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott and I can't remember her other one. Also Leftovers by Laura Wiess by Laura Weiss and Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr by Sara Zarr.

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Jones (viajara) | 8 comments Lisa wrote: "I'm so glad your students have enjoyed I HEART YOU. I think verse novels can be great for reluctant readers, and many kids who write to me say, "I usually hate to read, but I love your books." Even..."

It's not unusual for our students to ask for another book "just like this one" after reading "I Heart You, You Haunt Me." I'm eagerly awaiting their responses to our recent additions, "Chasing Brooklyn" and "Far From You." Thank you for the book suggestions and keep up the good work!

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Jones (viajara) | 8 comments I own some of the books listed in your replies, but most were entirely new to me! I'm off to investigate each and every one of your suggested titles. Thank you everyone....this is a fabulous resource!

message 15: by Lottie (new)

Lottie | 2 comments the confessions of georgia nicholson by louise rennison. funny as .. :)

message 16: by Nina (new)

Nina | 32 comments Unthinkable by Shirley Duke
Shadowed Summer by Saundra Mitchell
I Kissed a Zombie and I liked it by Adam Selzer
Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler

message 17: by Viola (new)

Viola | 11 comments bjneary wrote: "My reluctant students just love Simone Elkeles' books Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1) by Simone Elkeles and Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry, #2) by Simone Elkeles. Also author Eirean Corrigan books [bookcover:Splintering|11..."

My reluctant female readers LOVE the books by Simone Elkeles too. I teach 8th, and we don't have them in our library, but I have them in my classroom that I give to certain students.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Viola wrote: "bjneary wrote: "My reluctant students just love Simone Elkeles' books Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1) by Simone Elkeles and Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry, #2) by Simone Elkeles. Also author Eirean Corrigan books [bookcove..."

hi, I teach 8th grade English and I am building my classroom library, so what are these books about?

message 19: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (shyluck13) | 11 comments Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers - amazing books with a touch of everything. They're pretty thin.

message 20: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 236 comments J-Perfect Chemistry is about a Latin teen moves away from Mexico bad influences and gets paired with a "nice" girl in chemistry and sparks fly. In Rules of Attraction, his younger brother follows older brother and ends up living in a house with a girl he is annoyed by but drawn to, romance and heat. Guys and girls love it in our school and can't wait for the final book due out in May. S. Elkeles also wrote 2 others--Return to Paradise and Leaving Paradise.
E. Corrigan writes novels in verse--one about a home invasion and how it affects the victims. The she wrote one about anorexia (I think it was autobiographical)

message 21: by Julie (new)

Julie S. You could try some anthologies. Those are as long or short as you want them to be since you don't have to read all of them. One YA anthology that I liked recently is Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd.

message 22: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 236 comments Yes, I enjoyed the Geektastic short stories and the many authors who wrote such great cult stories from their youthful years, a short time ago....