Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Kindle Self Publishing

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey guys, any of you ever heard of self publishing on the kindle? It's super easy and completely free.
I'm getting Flowers For You published. :D

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

WHAT WHAT WHAAAT?

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 21, 2011 09:54AM) (new)

All you have to do is tell people about it.
You can set the price and you get 35%/70% royalties depending on the region.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I know!
I'm thinking that maybe this could become a stepping stone for tons of young authors.
There's also a way to publish your book on iBooks but I hear it's a little harder.

message 6: by Elliott (new)

Elliott | 22636 comments Mod
Woah! That's super cool!

Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (thepicturemagicianakaprobie) | 2218 comments How do you publish it? And LAV! HI!

message 8: by Elliott (new)

Hey Jordan!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

One sec I'll give you a link.

Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (thepicturemagicianakaprobie) | 2218 comments Lav Lalie Fompledump (Lavendarlol) wrote: "Hey Jordan!"

What's up?

message 12: by Elliott (new)

In school, sneaking on. Typing up part of the Hayden story.

Which could now get published! For freeee! That'd be awesome, haha.

message 13: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Lav Lalie Fompledump (Lavendarlol) wrote: "In school, sneaking on. Typing up part of the Hayden story.

Which could now get published! For freeee! That'd be awesome, haha."

THAT WOULD BE SO FREAKING AMAZING I WOULD DIE.

message 14: by Elliott (new)

Haha, thanks Mandy.

message 15: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments You're welcome. =)

I'm...working...on homework. *cough* Sorta...

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't you just love snowdays?
Rawr I'm working on the kindle formatting since mine is written in poems....

Natasha  (ar y ffin) (Natasha_ar_y_ffin) This is so cool. Once I finish my novel(which may take a year or two), I'm going to put it on kindle. Then I'll be a published author!!!

message 18: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) | 4987 comments That's so awesomesauce!

message 19: by Talia (new)

Talia | 605 comments Yeah I heard of free publishing, although the book won't be as successful. Who knows...maybe it might :D

message 20: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) | 4987 comments The thing is, if you get it published on Kindle, do they have like all copyrights or can you publish it as an actual book too?

message 21: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 3393 comments Mod
Self publish. Ehhhhhh

Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (thepicturemagicianakaprobie) | 2218 comments It's better than nothing.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Autumn Fompledump wrote: "The thing is, if you get it published on Kindle, do they have like all copyrights or can you publish it as an actual book too?"

I think you can choose who owns the copyrights.

message 24: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 3393 comments Mod
Jordan [Parrothead] *Life Finds A Way* wrote: "It's better than nothing."

Perhaps not.

Some publishers won't consider for realises publishing something that has been self published.

message 25: by Nellee (new)

Nellee | 33 comments Anyone heard of Amanda Hocking yet? She self-published on the Kindle, is selling 100,000 copies every month, and has made 1,000,000 dollars already.
I've self-published with createspace and Kindle and I'm doing good considering I haven't marketed as much. I sold 70 copies in less than two months, did a book signing, and made it in the paper. I'm going to be doing some more marketing and getting my book reviewed. That's bound to sell me a lot. That's how Amanda Hocking did it :) Self-publishing is definitely the way to go for everyone here. It's faster to get your book out there and you can make more money off of it. I know I'm making $4 for every paperback and it's only $14. Most authors don't make that much with a hardcover book! Self-publish people!

message 26: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Woah!

message 27: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
Personally, I'm trying to go the traditional publishing route. I've considered self-publishing before, but at this point I think it's kind of a last resort for me. The issues I have with it are ...

a) You have to edit your work on your own. You can hire an editor, but that could be expensive (especially if it's a good editor). I'd prefer to get a publisher through a literary agent, since that way I'll keep getting feedback from professionals and my book won't be published until it's actually the best that it can be.

b) You have to promote your own work. "All you have to do is tell people about it" is a lot easier than it sounds. Sure, you might get lucky and sell to a lot of people, but you probably won't reach as large of an audience as you would with a published book. Having tremendous success with a self-published book is very rare––and even successful self-published books aren't very well-known ... unless they happen to get picked up by a publisher (i.e. Eragon), but that's also very rare. Not to mention, you might have to work your butt off to get people to read your book in the first place.

Of course, if you're willing to put the time and effort into self-publishing, I'm not saying it's a bad idea. It's becoming more popular nowadays, thanks to the rise in digital publishing. And I understand the attraction to self-publishing, as someone who is drowning in rejection letters from literary agents. Traditional publishing is a lot more difficult, and you have to go through a ridiculous amount of rejection ... but then again, I'll be all the more satisfied when/if I do get published.

Blehhh. Long rant.

Just my two cents.

message 28: by Hannah (last edited Mar 06, 2011 02:57PM) (new)

Hannah | 954 comments Eh I'd prefer traditional publishing to self-publishing. :\ I know that there are great books that are self-published, but personally, I wouldn't buy a self-published book and I wouldn't self-publish one of my own novels. Not that I've ever finished one, though...

message 29: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 954 comments ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Personally, I'm trying to go the traditional publishing route. I've considered self-publishing before, but at this point I think it's kind of a last resort for me. The issues I have with it are ......"

I agree with you :D

message 30: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments Amanda Hocking's is pretty much the example of the most successful self publisher out there. I've been following her blog for a year now and she really is fascinating! Plus, her books nowdays are actually quite good.

The one thing I have to say with self publishing has going for it is that the e-book industry is growing by the day. And self published authors are making more money then traditional published authors, true. But as Brigid said, traditionally published authors have an entire team (not just editors but publishers, designers, too) at their back and that's a lot of work that traditional publishers have to do.

But ehh.

There are pros and cons to everything.

If you're willing to put in the time and effort then I'm sure self publishing will work for you if you make it.

message 31: by Nellee (new)

Nellee | 33 comments I self-published. Your first time is a little hard but I know it'll be easy with my sequel. But the website I publish with, Createspace.com (which you should check out)is the best out there and there are forums with tons of people with experience to help you out. I got a lot of help from people who have self-published tons of books.

It's not that hard once you know what you're doing and you pick it up really quickly. More authors should do it. You can do it yourself.

I edited it myself before I had my grandma edit it. She use to write depositions for a law firm or something and knows A LOT about grammar. She said that even though it was my draft, I still did really well with the grammar and wording of everything and she wasn't saying that because we're related. :)And there are tons of websites out there that can give you tips with grammar. I know I had a hard time with a couple things and me and my mom researched it online and found out quickly the correct grammar usage for a lot of things.

People should really look into more. It's the best way to go if you want to be successful with writing. :)

message 32: by Hannah (last edited Mar 14, 2011 08:57AM) (new)

Hannah | 954 comments Nellee wrote: "I self-published. Your first time is a little hard but I know it'll be easy with my sequel. But the website I publish with, Createspace.com (which you should check out)is the best out there and the..."

Well, see, I don't think it's just grammar that needs to be edited. Someone could write a book with perfect grammar, spelling, etc., but still have huge plot holes or other things like that. Obviously I've never been published so I guess I wouldn't know, but I'm pretty sure editors do a lot more than check for grammar and spelling.

message 33: by Nellee (new)

Nellee | 33 comments Well, of course, I was using grammar as an example :) I know when my mom was helping me she read a sentence and was like, "I'm confused here. I thought Marcus was the one who did this not Davus." Then I was like, "Oh! I forgot!" You get so caught up in everything else you forget who did what or what hair color I gave this person. :)

message 34: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
Hannah is right, it's more than just grammar and tiny mistakes. It's plot organization, writing style, tone/voice ... bigger things you need to work with. Agents have given me a lot of feedback on how to improve my novel––things I never would have thought of even after editing it myself, plus having all my writer-friends and my mom give me feedback. They've all sold books before, so they know what they're talking about!

Of course, if you're able to edit your own book to your satisfaction, that's a great thing. Personally, though, I feel like I need as much professional feedback as possible before I feel good about my manuscript.

message 35: by Elliott (new)

I feel like getting self-published would have less pride factor as well. Because literally anything can get self-published.

message 36: by Nellee (new)

Nellee | 33 comments That's not true. I did all the work by myself and I really feel I accomplished something. It has a lot of pride factor. Take it from someone who has self-published.

And yes, your other point is true. But, something that is actually good will make it far. Like Amanda Hocking. She's made a Million dollars so far and is selling hundreds of thousands of copies a month. There are services where you can hire an editor and pay for a nice book cover and the book will be just as good as the ones that were traditionally published.

If two books, one self-published and one traditionally, go head-to-head and sell the same amount of copies, guess who gets the better deal? The one who self-published. When you self-publish, you get dollars more per copy than you would traditionally.

There was an author who traditionally published for seven years and decided to self-publish because he wasn't making a living at all, although he sold hundreds of thousands of copies. He said he got, after 7 years, $2.50 per hardcover and $0.68 per paperback. It was less when he started. Now, he's making $4.00 per paperback self-publishing and even more with the kindle.

I'd rather self-publish.

message 37: by Elliott (new)

That's really cool.

I'm just saying, in my opinion, that if I got a book traditionally published, I'd feel more proud of my work because someone else besides myself liked it enough to publish and that it could succeed. If I was self-publishing it would just be me that thought it was good, and I'm honestly not that confident about my writing.

message 38: by Nellee (new)

Nellee | 33 comments Not necessarily. I sold 70 copies of my book in two months and that's not including the ones that I sold to my family. :)I did a book signing and did an interview with the paper as well. I got a lot of encouragement and praise by complete strangers. Times 70 by 4 and that's how much money I made.

And, just because it gets traditionally published, doesn't mean you're going to succeed, just like with self-publishing. The publishers don't make it succeed it's the people who buy it, the readers who make the book succeed. So, if something doesn't sound good, people won't buy it, traditionally published OR independently.

I'd say self-publishing leaves the fate of your book in the hands of you and the readers, the people, and not just a small handful of people up in NYC who tend to believe they know what the readers want in a book, when, most times, they don't. :) Amanda Hocking (And I know I keep using her as an example) tried the traditional route but nobody picked it up, so she decided she'd go independent. She let the people, the readers, decide if her book was any good. Turns out it is!

Plus, it's not that hard. I mean, of course you have to do a lot of the work yourself (And you could hire editors and what not as well) but frankly it's easy :) It's just, some people equate the words "Hard" and "Time". It's not hard to self-publish and make a name for yourself so you can become successful, it just takes time.

The movie "Nightmare on Elm Street" believe it or not, didn't get picked up by any of the studios. They said that it wouldn't succeed. So the makers made their own studio, an independent studio. Now, the Freddy Kruger movies have become a 500 million dollar franchise. They let the people decide and not the studios on whether or not it would be successful. :)

message 39: by Elliott (new)

I love independent stuff with a passion. I really do. I say, "All the power to those freaking awesome people who can make it without any help and generally rock more than people who produced their art with the help of the machine."

I'm just saying that I, PERSONALLY, would feel more accomplished if I got my book published traditionally.

message 40: by Nellee (new)

Nellee | 33 comments Ok, then I wish you luck. :) I not trying to bash you or anything. I just want to give my opinion as well. :) And I would want more people to be open to the idea of self-publishing.

message 41: by Elliott (new)

Alrighty then.

message 42: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Conflict resolved and people are happy.

Yay!

message 43: by Elliott (new)

... you keep thinking that Mandy. ;)

message 44: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments xD

message 45: by Elliott (new)

*rage inside*

message 46: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments *glares*

message 47: by Elliott (new)

*more rage*

message 48: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments *sticks out tongue*

message 49: by Elliott (new)

*eats*

message 50: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments ..... Are you eating me or something else?

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.