Q&A with David Levithan discussion

Independent Bookstores

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen Tierney (towardsthesea) | 1 comments Hi David,

I work at a local indie bookstore (the oldest one in America actually!) and love being able to hand-sell your books. Between you and John Green and Suzanne Collins, helping YA readers find great books is a blast!

I was just wondering about the relationship that you have with small, local bookstores. What's the difference between meeting readers in the big box stores as opposed to smaller places like ours? We love to hear about how authors perceive us. We had Paul Harding in last night for an event and he had such interesting things to say about how indie bookstores had impacted the success of Tinkers.

Just as a side note: The Lover's Dictionary is a wonderful read. I devoured it! I love pitching it to my customers. "Imagine the arc of a relationship explored alphabetically instead of chronologically."

Good luck with your future projects!

Jen Salamone
Andover Bookstore

message 2: by David (new)

David Levithan | 22 comments Thank you for handselling the books! I've had great experiences at all kinds of bookstores -- really, whenever readers show up, I am grateful. But there's certainly a reason that a good part of my last YA, Dash & Lily's Book of Dares, was spent worshipping The Strand here in New York -- ever since high school, it's been my idea of bookish heaven. Which isn't to slight the smaller indies -- I just had a blast at Book Soup in LA, and love love love McNally Jackson, which is the bookstore closest to my office here in Soho.

Meanwhile, leave it to a bookseller to articulate my book better than I've been able to -- your take on Lover's Dictionary is word perfect. Thank you!

/:) David