Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Series > Incarceron

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 48 comments Anyone else reading/read this series? I'm about 1/2 way through Incarceron... I like it so far. I couldn't help but really want it because it is never in book stores (always sold out) or available at the library.

I was caught up in the Vampire Academy series but now I can devote my reading solely to this ;) Opinions, discussion?

message 2: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) It's another one I've been eyeing, especially cause they are making a movie (Taylor Lautner, I hear). I just haven't picked it up yet.

The same with I Am Number 4. Movie's coming out and I want to read it before I think of watching it.

Did you see in the Mortal Instruments thread that Alex Pettyfer has been offered the role of Jace?

message 3: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I read Incarceron and I liked it - I didn't really love it though. I have seen a lot of people who did so maybe it's just me. I have Sapphique waiting for me on audio but I haven't started it yet. I felt like Incarceron was a bit slow at times. I thought that the "twist" at the ending was pretty creative though.

message 4: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Olson (tabithaolson) | 53 comments I liked Incarceron and Sapphique, but didn't love them. The editor in my brain tried to make sense of some issues that the reader is clearly supposed to overlook, so it wasn't as enjoyable as I hoped it would be. But it's still very entertaining. Not sure I'll see the movie, though.

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 48 comments I'm finding it a bit slow. Anyone else have that problem?

message 6: by Arphaxad (new)

Arphaxad | 335 comments I agree with you guys; it was okay, but I didn't love it. I did find it a tad slow at times, and I don't feel compelled to read the sequel. Twas a solid 3-star for me.

message 7: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Yeah, that was my main issue - it seemed too slow. Also, some of the twists were quite obvious and I kept getting angry at the characters for not figuring it out.

message 8: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling (wendydarling) | 193 comments I agree...the set-up is great and the writing is strong, but the story moved along really slowly. It felt as though this were being dragged out for the sequel, since a lot of things should have been figured out much earlier in the book and a few more things resolved.

It's also hard to get a grasp of the main characters--they show promise of being interesting, but not enough happens to fully develop them. It's hard to get attached to someone you barely know.

message 9: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Yeah, the characters that I liked the most by the end were the Warden and Jared. I didn't really like either of the "main" characters that much.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments I've read Incarceron and am currently reading Sapphique. Again, I likes them but I'm not loving it. Worth the read, but not brilliant.

message 11: by Book (new)

Book (bloodwitch) | 90 comments I thought Sapphique was a lot stronger than Incarceron. They're not top favourites, but I'd definitely buy them

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I wish Sapphique were available on Kindle but I think I'm going to have to get it from the library instead. Eventually...

message 13: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I read Incarceron and was not a big fan. It was really slow to me and I did not really care about any of the characters. Also, I could not get a clear picture in my mind or the prison or the world it was based in.

message 14: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Frisch (belindafrisch) I started Incarceron and I, too, had a little bit of trouble getting a clear picture of the characters and their world. I put it down for something else, but may pick it back up eventually. I'm glad to see it wasn't just me. Slow, yes, that's what I would call it and maybe a little bit jumpy.

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Just not worth the hype IMO. Much better books out there.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I dunno. I quite liked it. There were other books that others loved that made me want to stab my eyes out.

The world fascinated me, which is weird because I am normally drawn to characters. I wouldn't put it in favorites but don't regret reading it either.

Not trying to argue, just put a different opinion out there.

message 17: by Book (new)

Book (bloodwitch) | 90 comments Heidi I wrote: "Just not worth the hype IMO. Much better books out there."

And much worse! lol

I'll choose it any day over the YA's that narrate about soul mates and angst about their loves for 3/4 of a book

I agree Cassi :)

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi To each his own ladies :)

message 19: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Haha! You know, I am starting to get on board with you there Amy. I am getting pretty darn tired of the whole "soul mate whining" book genre as well. I agree that it was better than some, but I picked it up initially because I saw a few people in groups that I'm in saying "Wow! Best Book EVER!!" and similar. It just wasn't THAT good.

message 20: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Hey I am the first to complain about overly sappy teen books (i.e. Twilight, Linger, Perfect Chemistry). Those aren't for me either. Someone pointed out on here before that Incarceron is more about concepts than characters and I think that is a great description. I am just one of those readers who has to be able to attach myself to the characters to make it real for me, and I couldn't do that with this book for some reason. That by no means makes it a bad book - just a "not for me" book. Trust me, I have been outnumbered many times on here. I'm used to it :)

message 21: by Arphaxad (new)

Arphaxad | 335 comments I completely agree, Heidi - that's exactly how I felt about Incarceron. I was fascinated by the originality of the concepts, but the characters weren't strong enough to carry the weight of the book for me.

(And ditto on the sappy books, everyone! Haha)

message 22: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 48 comments I am absolutely struggling to finish Incarceron! I'm definitely let down since I had heard it was awesome.

I picked it up while I was waiting for the library to get the next Vampire Academy book in for me, and even now that I'm finished with VA I still don't really have any interest.

I feel like I should finish it because I'm 3/4 of the way through but like people said above- I'm not involved in any of the characters.

Maybe it would have been different had I not been reading VA at the same time... since that series was FABULOUS.

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindajoysingleton) | 41 comments I really loved INCARCERON, too. Such a clever, exciting book. And SAPPIQUE, sequel, was just as good. Brilliant books!

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Okay, I have to ask... I've been reading Sapphique. Is it worth finishing? Right now the ONLY person I care about is Jared. I'm only 100 pages in, but I keep finding things to distract me from the book. I'm not excited to pick it up. So worth finishing or not? I'll try again tonight. I even quit at a bit of a cliffhanger and still nothing. Right after the queen reveals her proposition to Jared. I was like WHAT?! Then haven't picked it up in 3 days.

That being said, I do love Jared!

message 25: by Laraine (new)

Laraine (lala26) | 121 comments I read Incarceron a few months ago and thought it was pretty unique and exciting... but now that I think about it I didn't care much for the characters...I'm not sure if I want to pick up Sapphique...Incarceron slowly loosened its hold on me and that's never a good sign :p maybe I'll give it a try later on if I'm curious enough about what happens next.

message 26: by Book (new)

Book (bloodwitch) | 90 comments I definitely agree that the characterization could've been stronger, but it wasn't exactly bad

I thought Sapphique was a lot stronger than Incarceron, and Jared is in Sapphique about the same

Regarding VA- I never particularly liked it, and I started to hate Rose (just found her annoying before) and won't even read the LS

message 27: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Laraine wrote: "Incarceron slowly loosened its hold on me..."

I love how you said that. That's exactly how I felt after I finished the Twilight Saga and time went by. It 'loosened it's hold on me'. Perfect.

message 28: by Laraine (new)

Laraine (lala26) | 121 comments Thanks!:D Hmm... I'm not sure if I'm over the Twilight Saga... the movies definitely made me dislike it a bit, but I still want to love the books though... I shouldn't have watched those movies! (*hides from Twi-hard fans*) lol

message 29: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Me too...I feel like the movies ruined the books for me. I only watched the first two...but it was enough. Ugh.

message 30: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I haven't seen the third one yet either. I will eventually.

I probably wouldn't despise the Twilight Saga if I hadn't been so absolutely disgusted with Breaking Dawn. But it's all our own opinion.

message 31: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Yeah, I don't think I will see the other movies. This is a total matter of opinion too, but I can't stand Robert Pattinson. He makes me physically ill. Sorry all you RP fans!! Also, Kristen Stewart is horrible as Bella. Pretty much hated everything that they did with the two movies I saw.

message 32: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I don't mind Rob P, lol. I think it's the remnants of love for Cedric Diggery. But I absloutly can't stand Kristen Stewart. She always looks like she smells something stinky.

message 33: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Haha! I actually did love Rob P. as Cedric Diggory. He just looks so hairy and chubby and unkempt now. He reminds me of a troll. Haha, oh man. Sorry RP!!

message 34: by Arphaxad (new)

Arphaxad | 335 comments Haha, a troll (I agree, actually!) The films cause me near-physical pain, yet my siblings and I still force ourselves to go and watch the new ones when they come out! We practically have to hold hands whilst doing it though. It's like some kind of group masochism, for the sake of our past love of the books.. :S

message 35: by Wendy F (last edited Jan 25, 2011 10:34AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Don't you know, Catie? It's cool to look unkempt these days. It's the cloak of the deep and sensitive man. Look at Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt (with beard), Ben Affleck (with beard)...

Just so you know, I adore Johnny Depp with the heat of 5 blazing suns, hahaha, unkempt and all. YUM

I like the way RP looks, too. I guess I like the grungy look. He's not plastered all over my figurative walls, but I see his appeal.

message 36: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Haha, yeah. I am a bit more of a "Don Draper" type fan. Maybe I'm old fashioned! Everytime I see some teenage boy with huge bouffant type hair and skinny jeans showing off his sticks for legs, I just feel sorry for this generation's girls! Has anyone also noticed that RP's nose is miniscule compared to the rest of his face?

I went to the first two movies with my girlfriends from work and I actually had fun because we made fun of them the whole time (although I felt bad afterward because I think we were a bit loud). I moved last year though, so no friends to go with now! I totally enjoy the "shared masochism," but seeing a really bad movie just sucks when you're alone!

message 37: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I'm sooo not a fan of skinny jeans on a man. I come from the age of baggy jeans. So I'm very with you on that one.

message 38: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments Catie wrote: "Haha, yeah. I am a bit more of a "Don Draper" type fan. Maybe I'm old fashioned! Everytime I see some teenage boy with huge bouffant type hair and skinny jeans showing off his sticks for legs, I..."

hahahahaha! Oh you had me busting up Catie with your feeling bad for this generation's girls. I'm totally with you there!

message 39: by Heidi (new)

Heidi *sigh* John Hamm (aka Don Draper) is dreamy! I just can't get past K Stews bad acting and that terrible white cake make up in those Twilight movies. How is it sexy to have someone look like they have a pound of make up on? It is quite distracting!

message 40: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) A pound of white stagemake up with a dash of body glitter.

message 41: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments I love that this topic has degenerated into Twi movie bashing. Makes me laugh every time I come in here.

message 42: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Becca wrote: "I love that this topic has degenerated into Twi movie bashing. Makes me laugh every time I come in here."

Hey at least I didn't start it this time!

message 43: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Uh, yeah...I will at least take credit for starting the RP bashing anyway. The casting of the twilight films was just awful all around. I can't even watch any scene featuring the guy who plays Jasper and not bust out cackling. His crazy hair and insano eyes!! His constant look of constipation! That scene where they all walk into the cafeteria slo-mo is so awful.

message 44: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I like the actor in other things, but when he plays Jasper he reminds me of Edward Scissorhands.

message 45: by Laraine (new)

Laraine (lala26) | 121 comments I agree! I try to imagine those scenes now and can't help but laugh.

message 46: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments My least favorite in the movie was Alice and that's only because she was the only character (imo) worth reading about in the books. The actress they got for her was so not what I had imagined and while her acting was decent, she didn't channel Alice very well.

message 47: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I thought she was a terrible Alice too.

Alice was small and dainty. The actress spinning around a few times didn't at all show me Alice's twirling, always moving, persona.

I didn't like Carlisle AT ALL. I like the actor, but dying his hair blonde just made him look schmarmy. He looked like a pervy pick-up artist.

message 48: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) In addition to Jasper, Bella, and Edward I really hated the casting of Rosalie. She's supposed to be all blond and wispy and beautiful, but the girl that was chosen, although beautiful, has dark hair and is pretty curvy. She looked totally wrong.

message 49: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Another character that they died the hair wrong. They'd have been better off if they left their hair dark for the roles. At least they would have looked more natural.

I think the actress who played Rosalie is gorgeous with her dark hair, but not so much with the blonde.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) See I didn't mind Alice and Carlisle, but Rosalie was just awful. Nikki Reed is an okay actress, but that role wasn't for her.

Best casting imo was Bella's dad.

« previous 1