Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > Fireplaces-yay or nay?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Do you have a fireplace? Do you want a fireplace? Yay or nay?

There's an article in the NY Times today called "The Love Affair With The Fireplace Cools".

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/20/gar...

On a day like today (temps below zero F, before wind chill) I sure as hell want one.

You?

message 2: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments We have a wood-burning fireplace and love it, especially this time of year. It puts out a lot of heat.

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I love 'em. We've only used ours once this year - buying the logs to burn is an extra expense.

message 4: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i have a gas fire which is a bitch to turn on when cold (i let my people do it), but can make the place plenty hot.

message 5: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7138 comments I love to use our fireplace on a chilly fall day or a wet spring day. When it's this cold, too much heat escapes up the chimney and it defeats the purpose. We don't have one of those fan things to put the heat out into the living room. Those are nice. Not crazy about the fake/gas fireplace, though they are more energy efficient.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments We just switched our fireplace over to gas Cynthia, and it is warmer in the house even with out the fireplace on. It can get really nice and toasty when it is on. It took us quite awhile to decide to switch. I do miss the smell and the crackle of a real fire though. But wouldn't switch back because this can take the chill out of the air in a hurry.

message 7: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I have a wood fireplace, but haven't used it much. Maybe I'll make a fire tonight.

message 8: by Sally, la reina (last edited Jan 21, 2011 07:23AM) (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Janine's appliance demonstrates how much closer to the arctic circle she is than Barb or RA.

message 9: by janine (last edited Jan 21, 2011 07:33AM) (new)

janine | 7715 comments Sally wrote: "Janine's appliance demonstrates how much closer to the arctic circle she is than Barb or RA."

i'm not! i think.

::checks gail's map::

message 10: by janine (last edited Jan 21, 2011 07:37AM) (new)

janine | 7715 comments i am closer after all, but it's warmer here than where they are.

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Janine's appliance looks so...European.

message 12: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments is that an insult?

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments janine wrote: "is that an insult?"

No.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've never had a working fireplace. I like them at other peoples' houses.

message 15: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "janine wrote: "is that an insult?"

No."

It's clearly a European model. The American version has the optional popcorn popper attachment bolted to the side.

message 16: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments we just use the top to keep our soup warm.

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments Using the pretty, crackling fireplace upstairs is only practical when we* have the cast iron woodstove going downstairs. Then the draft is pulling the toasty air across the floor instead of drafty cold air.

*I'm using the royal "we" - fireplace upkeep is a lot of work.

message 18: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7138 comments It is a lot of work. And now we have to worry about where our firewood came from, so we're not hauling more Emerald Ash Borers into Iowa.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I love my gas fireplace, it warms the place up very nicely, and all I have to do is flip a switch. Yes it looks a bit fakey, but not horribly so.
I wish I could open it up. No roasting marshmallows for me.

message 20: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24363 comments Mod
I read that article last night and like most NYT style articles, it made me crazy. I think they found the 7 people in America who hate woodburning fireplaces (how about that woman who can't go into a home where wood has ever been burned? Her husband has to scout out every location before they go there - resulting in a lot of refused dinner party invitations).

My ardor for the fireplace has not cooled. I have one and I LOVE IT. It has a beautiful dark wood mantel and wood on the sides, and a marble surround and marble hearth. It was a huge selling point for me when I picked this abode. My heart explodes with love whenever I look at it. A lot of the places I looked at had decorative fireplaces - which look fine but I'd rather be able to actually use it, thank you. I don't have that many fires per year so I'm not hurting the environment but that wouldn't stop me from having a fire every day, because my carbon emission footprint is so tiny anyway.

message 21: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Yay. Love them. There's a new Jack in the Box near my house and they have a fireplace. Tres cool.

I don't have one though. Don't need one here in Los Angeles. Plus I bet it's a bitch to clean.

message 22: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24363 comments Mod
I don't think the fireplace itself has to be cleaned, other than getting rid of the ashes every once in awhile. It's the chimney you need to have swept, for safety - creosote buildup.

message 23: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments The only fireplace I've had was in a rental house. I found a guy who would bring me a truckload of oak for fifty bucks, and I had a fire almost every night during cool weather. I didn't have a problem with the ashes. Shoveled them into a bucket and scattered them in the flower beds. I really miss having a fireplace.

message 24: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7138 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I don't think the fireplace itself has to be cleaned, other than getting rid of the ashes every once in awhile. It's the chimney you need to have swept, for safety - creosote buildup."

Right. My chimney sweep comes over the clean the chimney every 5 years or so.

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Fireplaces are great. I've had homes with either wood or gas fireplaces over the years. Currently have none and wish I did. They are really not very energy efficient, since most of the heat goes out the chimney. But there's nothing like a cozy fire on cold evening.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Oddly enough our house has two fireplaces. Both are wood, one is open the other is slow combustion. We never use the open fire, it isn't worth the hassle. The slow combustion fireplace warms the whole house making it nice and toasty in winter. There is a fan system that distributes the warm air to the rooms upstairs.

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I have friends who lived last year in a 70s condo with a woodburning fireplace. They didn't turn on the heat and instead burned a fire every day from morning till night to heat the unit.

message 28: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman We have one but cannot use it because it bothers my wife's asthma. Shame, because I love the smell of wood burning in a fireplace and it would cut down on those heating bills.