Fans of McNaught discussion

Reading Group: Kingdom of Dreams

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by taita (new)

taita | 5 comments I'd like to try something. I'm going to re-read A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1) by Judith McNaught . One of my favorites! First time I read it, I devoured it. I'd like to revisit the book and start a weekly discussion group. I think a good novel is better when you can share your thoughts about it. Anyone interested in joining me?

If so, let's start this coming Mon 1/24/11 by discussing Chapter 1.

Here's some general guidelines:
1. Discuss one chapter per week. (That way we can take our time with the story, and also have time for other novels you're working on.)
2. Start a new chapter discussion each Monday until we're done with the book.
3. Have fun and share your thoughts! If possible, avoid skipping ahead to other chapters in case others in the group have not yet gotten to that point. Commenting on chapters we've already covered is OK.

Look forward to reading along with you!

message 2: by taita (new)

taita | 5 comments ~ CHAPTER 1 ~

What are your first impressions?

I could tell I was going to like this right away. The story started in the middle of the action, tense and intriguing from the beginning. "But it was too late for prayers and promises now."

I can relate with her about trying to prove herself to her father. She pushes the limits to contend not with other women, but with her brothers and herself. It broke my heart to read the description of her clan shunning her so publicly.

message 3: by Aurore (last edited Jan 26, 2011 07:09PM) (new)

Aurore (padme501st) | 3 comments I remember the first time I read this. It's a wedding but within 2 paragraph you realize that no one is happy when they should be. Everyone hates each other and more importantly the groom and bride dont like each other either.

All I can think of is how did we get to this place? And the answer starts within that first chapter

I knew I would love Jenny when it mentioned how she embarrassed her evil stepbrother and had to be sent away to the Abbey. The heroine wasnt going to be a goody goody two shoes and so she wouldnt be boring. Also the hero was someone a whole nation feared and that raised my interest as well

Before the end of the first chapter I had already sided with Jenny due to the disgust i felt over how her clan and family treated her. With the kidnapping ending the first chapter, we were back in action and i couldnt wait for chapter 2

message 4: by taita (new)

taita | 5 comments Agreed. We learn so much in just one chapter! I was wondering what else could possibly be in store for us in the following pages.

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 2 comments I just re-read this book. Many years ago I discovered old copies of JM books that my mother had. I read AKOD and Double Standards, and fell in love. I've read everything of JM's through ~2000. I'm going to get copies of the most recent books and read them while I wait for her newest to come out.

Anyway! This is a discussion of AKOD. The firs chapter really does suck you in. The characters are incredible, and you want to know the story that lead up to their current state of affairs. And its so incredible! I love Jennifer and Royce. I swear, if I ever have a son, I'm going to name him Royce!! :o)

message 6: by Zumbagirl (new)

Zumbagirl | 9 comments Kelly wrote: "I just re-read this book. Many years ago I discovered old copies of JM books that my mother had. I read AKOD and Double Standards, and fell in love. I've read everything of JM's through ~2000. I'm ..."

Royce was an amazing hero! I wanted to smack Jenny a few times.

message 7: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (corset_lover) | 2 comments Love this book!!!

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita Anderson | 3 comments Love this book!