Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Coworkers From Hell

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Yesterday I found a phone book on my doorstep, and seeing it triggered a memory:

At my first job, one of the supervisors got pissed off at something, and right in the middle of the room, in front of 10-15 people, she picked up a phone book (4" thick: I live in a large city), and threw it across the room, a good 20 feet.

Now this woman had always struck me as a highly-strung harpy who drank WAY too much coffee, but this just seemed like the straw that would end her career. But alas, no. It wasn't until ten years later that a friend of mine who still works there advised me this supervisor had recently been put into a psychiatric ward. Against her will.

Then there was the ass who brought in a loaded handgun into our office, and was showing it off to his friends. A few years later he died when his car was ripped in half after it flew onto the center divider of the freeway and hit one of the sign posts. He was going 120 mph.

Did you ever work with a psycho?

message 2: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I work at the Post Office.... enough said!

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Oh yeah - there was the psycho bitch from hell who thought she was a trophy wife, even though she wasn't married.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I never worked with a Psycho, but I did have a boss once that kept trying to tell me how to do my job and she had absolutely no clue how to do any of it. She was one of those upper management people that came in straight from college and knew nothing about the company, then wanted to hover over me and tell me that I was doing everything wrong, even though I was doing everything precisely how I was trained to do it according to company protocol.

message 5: by Auntie (new)

Auntie Raye-Raye (fabulousraye) I used to work in the restaurant industry. Everyone in it is crazy in some way.

Here's a non-violent psycho story:

My saute partner at The Olde Harbor Inn, constantly called off for the weekend dinner shifts. He always gave the most demented excuses. Somehow he got away with it. My favorite excuse was "I can't come in tonight. My neighbors on either side of me are fighting. One just took out a shot-gun and killed the other ones chickens."

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments FabulousRaye, I want more! XD What else has he used?

message 7: by Auntie (new)

Auntie Raye-Raye (fabulousraye) Rachel wrote: "FabulousRaye, I want more! XD What else has he used?"

It's been 10 years since I worked with him. Some of my memories are a bit fuzzy. A fairly tame one was "My girlfriend got bit in the face by a dog while she was at work."

A one of my server co-workers at IHOP called off once by saying "My vagina fell out."

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments HAHAHAHAHA!!!

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I have to say I've had some mean-spirited and manipulative co-workers but not psycho. I've also had some flat-out dumb co-workers, but again, never psycho.

Most of my co-workers are pretty good, but some, of course, I don't trust. I've been in the same gig for about ten years and know the landscape pretty well. If I left to another position I'd worry of learning the unspoken cultural rules.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments maybe i am he

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments When I was reading books in a basement for some reason that really seemed to attract crazy people. I could write a book. Most of the really crazy ones didn't stay for long. One Nazi-obsessed ex-military guy got fired for making hundreds of dollars in long-distance calls to Germany. One lady (who was very well educated but who'd had something like 20 jobs in the past year) got fired because she wore really strong perfume and kept getting in arguments about it. Another guy was dealing drugs from his office and had a phenominal temper, finally getting fired when he threw a door closed and smashed somebody's hand.

Of the three crazies that lasted, though, the two most entertaining ended up getting married because they were just perfect for each other! He was a Star Trek fanatic, she'd been obducted by aliens (and had an alien baby). She believed all men are babies and a woman's job is to take care of their every need. He was a baby who needed every need taken care of. He couldn't get to work on time and so she clocked him in. He was meek and mild, she used yelling and threats as a way of getting what she wanted in every situation. They took all their vacations in Disneyworld. They were both hypocondriacs beyond compare.

All of these people were hired by a psycho boss, who, among other things, didn't like people who smiled a lot, or Jews. The boss after her was a part time minister and was very soft-hearted as well as confrontation-averse, so the couple stayed, although he did try to make some changes so they couldn't cover for each other so much (which lead to the woman saying that now she knew why people brought guns to work). The boss after him finally started cracking down and the man soon left under mysterious circumstances and the woman followed.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments You know, your vagina really can fall out, but you get lots of warning.

message 13: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I've worked with egotists and jerks of all kinds, but I was actually once hired to replace a guy who'd stabbed his wife to death.

message 14: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I bet you looked great in comparison, Jammers:)

message 15: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments High praise, RA.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments My Supervisor carries a switchblade in her purse, and I’ve heard that she got in a fight in the parking lot sometime before I started working here and took out said switchblade but did not use it. I've done my best to try and stay on her good side. She doesn't like too many people around the office.

There are also several hypocrites and plenty of tension to go around.

message 17: by Jammies (new)

Jammies RandomAnthony wrote: "I bet you looked great in comparison, Jammers:)"

Gee, thanks RA.

Oh, and I deal with the VA on a weekly basis, so I'm very familiar with petty fascists.

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Giving those least faves nicknames makes me feel better.

message 19: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Rebecca wrote: "You know, your vagina really can fall out, but you get lots of warning."

This happened to one of my friends. She kept telling me about it. For some reason people always want to tell me the most personal, TMI stories. If that happened to me, God forbid, the LAST thing I would do is go around telling people about it.

message 20: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments Don't even want to think about it.

I shared a teacher's office with a co-worker who constantly talked to himself. Very distracting and annoying.