Ms. Willard's Humanities 10 B/F Group discussion

SSR Journals > Journal #1 -- Due Mon. 1/24 by midnight

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (last edited Jan 20, 2011 01:09PM) (new)

Erin (eew5n) | 63 comments Mod
Hey Everybody! Welcome to our discussion group! I'm glad you found your way here and am excited to read your thoughts. Make sure you follow our groups' rules, posting about 250 words and always staying positive when replying to classmates prompts (when you are asked to).

For our first post, please respond to the following:

1) What book are you reading and who is the author? Have you read this author before?
2) How are you finding your book? Do you love it? Hate it? Does it make you want to get up in the middle of the night and read?
3) What genre is your book? Is this a genre you typically read or something new for you?

message 2: by Tayanna (new)

Tayanna (ghostreader) | 6 comments I am reading the book Give Up the Ghost by Megan Crewe. I haven't read anything from this author before, but I would like to look her up to find any other books she might have.I think the book has been pretty interesting so far, but I don't see myself getting up at night just to stay up reading it. Nothing really jumped off the page and pulled me in. I was expecting more from the book like a bit more suspense given the name of the book, but since I'm not done with the book I still have more surprises that await me. There really is no genre of this book,but this is pretty new for me I have never read a book like this before.

message 3: by Yazmin (new)

Yazmin Guzman | 7 comments At the moment i am reading The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides. u have never read a book by this author before ( for as long as i can remember). I am reading it because my cousin read it and she said i would like it if i read it. This is a fictional book. i usually read a variety of genres and it makes me more open to other genres. i enjoy this book not as much as others, but it is not the worst. i like this book because it talks about the characters in a way in which we dont really get to know them. although at points it gets confusing i find it to be really interesting because we are trying to figure out why the girls decide to commit suicide. because of the fact that the only real evidence we have is their diaries but the way they write and express their feelings is unexplainable.

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (greenmochi32) | 6 comments I am reading the book Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford. I have never read a book by this author before. So far this book is okay. I don't hate it or love it yet. This is not the best book that I have ever read, but it is not the worst ever. Usually, I read it on the bus, before I go to sleep, and during SSR. The genre of my book is realistic. It is a fiction book, but it can relate with real life problems. The problems can be like suicide or loneliness. I think that this is going to be the first realistic book that I will read. I usually read adventure books by James Patterson. I found out about this book from my friend. She said that she really liked it, so now I am going to try it out. I hope that I will really like this book.

message 5: by Erin (last edited Jan 21, 2011 09:38AM) (new)

I am reading the book "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot. I've never read anything by this author because this is her first book! For a first book, I think it's great. In fact, if I could write anything this good, I'd be overjoyed. My book is science non-fiction. I've read lots of non-fiction before, because I love true stories and history, but I've never read a "sciencey" book before. My mom gave me this book and, honestly, I wasn't very excited about it because it was based on something so grounded in science. But, it turns out that I can't get enough of this book. If I weren't being awakened in the middle of the night by my daughter, I would definitely be staying up late to read this book. It has changed my mind about science-related books -- I'm interested after all! I think my next book will further delve into this genre because I feel like I'm actually learning about things I never fully understood before. I love feeling like a book is making me smarter while totally keeping me entertained.

message 6: by Geovanni (new)

Geovanni Morales (georocksfalldayeveryday) | 5 comments Erin wrote: "Hey Everybody! Welcome to our discussion group! I'm glad you found your way here and am excited to read your thoughts. Make sure you follow our groups' rules, posting about 250 words and always ..."
I am currently reading "Star Wars and Philosophy" by well, actually i don't know who its by but ill find out eventually. Anyways, im sure ive never read a book by whoever wrote this book. I think this book is pretty cool but im sure that soon im going to stop reading it and find another book that better suits my reading criteria because while i do find this book cool its getting kind of boring. I think the reason why im finding boring is because its some weird genre that i dont even know what its called.

message 7: by Raymond (new)

Raymond Porter | 6 comments Erin wrote: "Hey Everybody! Welcome to our discussion group! I'm glad you found your way here and am excited to read your thoughts. Make sure you follow our groups' rules, posting about 250 words and always ..."

I am reading "Life Of Pi" at the moment. I was supposed to finish it over break, but I never got around to it, so I am finishing it now. Better late than never. It is a very well written book. The first half of the book can be pretty stagnant, but the quality of writing makes up for that. This is my first time reading "Life Of Pi". Like I said, it is a great book that is very well written. I don't have as much time as I would like to just sit down and read it. For this reason it is taking a long time to finish. "Life Of Pi" is a novel by Yann Martel. I am not sure what the exavt word for the genre is, but I would label it as 'contemporary fiction'. It is a genre I usually read. I picked this as my free choice book partially because it was a genre I usually enjoy. Many members of my family have also read "Life Of Pi", and they strongly recommended I read it.

message 8: by Eva (last edited Jan 23, 2011 11:59AM) (new)

Eva | 6 comments Erin wrote: "Hey Everybody! Welcome to our discussion group! I'm glad you found your way here and am excited to read your thoughts. Make sure you follow our groups' rules, posting about 250 words and always ..."
I'm currently reading Savage Inequalities by Jonathan Kozol. This is the first time I read a book by this author. This book is interesting, but after the first couple chapters I feel as if I'm reading the same thing over and over again. Every chapter is about a different city in the U.S that is stricken with intense poverty and how it affects public education, and although this is an important issue I have trouble focusing on reading this book. The book falls under the genre sociological, and this is the first time I've read a book in this genre. I plan on picking out a different book, but I'll continue to read this book as a sort of side thing.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Grgich | 3 comments I am about a fourth of the way through John Dies at the End. The book is an interesting genre, comedy/ horror, a combination that I have never read in the past. I am enjoying it more and more as I progress, and am glad I chose it. At first I was apprehensive of its length, it is about a four and a half hundred page novel. But I am reading at a very fast pace because it is so enjoyable. If I had more time at night I might read it, but I'm already falling asleep no earlier than eleven thirty anyways. This is the first book I have read written by David Wong, but I have frequently read his online comedy articles.

message 10: by Imani (new)

Imani (manigator) | 6 comments I am currently reading Now Is The Time To Open Your Heart by Alice Walker the same author of The Color Purple which I have read and fell in love with. So far I like it not in love with it yet. But I have too read some more I guess to really understand it and figure out how I'm feeling about. The book I'm reading is a novel which I enjoy reading the most, next to non fiction. But I haven't tried fiction or autobiography as much and would like to try it out to try something new. But for now on I will start reading regularly on my book especially in SSR.

message 11: by Jerald (new)

Jerald | 6 comments The book that I am reading is "Pirates Latitudes" by Michale Crichton. I have never read this author before but I hear that he is a popular writer. I find this book very interesting and the adventures inside this story keep me wanting to read more. The book genre is a fictional pirate fantasy story and although I have never read this type of genre, I find it very interesting and similar to a pirates of the Caribbean type movie. This book talks about adventures in finding treasures. The author of this book is the same person who wrote the Jurassic Park books which lead to a Steven Spielberg production of the movie. This author is very imaginative and describes lots of details that intrigue the reader into visualizing the story. Apparently the author passed away in 2008 but had a few great books that he wrote. I look forward to reading more of his books when I can.

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert Zhou | 4 comments I am reading The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. I have never read anything written by this author before. My book is very cool to read and is one of the few books that I read all school year on my own time. It does not make me get up in the middle of the night to read, but when I have free time at school, I choose to read my book. I believe the genre of my book is horror, but it may be classified as something else because it isn't written like any other horror book I've read. Typically I don't read this genre of book, but I chose to read it because, in video class, Mr. Becker was talking to us about zombie films and telling the class all about the book. It seemed really cool, so I asked him to borrow it, here I am now actually reading a book that I enjoy.The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From the Living Dead

message 13: by Miyah (new)

Miyah (mdunlap) | 6 comments I am reading the book “It” by Stephen King. I’ve never read anything by this author, but I’ve heard a lot about him. This book was written quite a while ago, and for its age I have to say that it’s a classic. So far it’s a little boring because I’m still getting into the intro of how everything began, thus it’s not that intriguing and I rather be sleeping or watching television. Although, I’m sure I will stick through it because I’ve been told that it gets better as it goes on.This book is horror fiction and very new to me. I’ve never read anything horror, but I always seem to end up with a fiction book because I love the creativity that people can express with them. I’m excited to continue reading this book and hope that it will satisfy!

message 14: by Kody (new)

Kody Strandberg | 3 comments I am reading "Zero Hour" by Tom clancy. He is pretty much the only author I read from consistantly and enjoy at the same time. His books always make me wonder about the truth in the real world and it forces me to try and think out of the box when it comes to putting the pieces together in his stories which I like since its a challenge. So far this book hasn't disappointed me one bit. I love how the beginning already starts off with a very dark scene,with a buisness man being killed over billion dollar gems, and this caught my attention of course becuase I want to know what significance his death and the gems will have in the book. The beginning is usually the part of the story that will determine whether or not it hooked me into wanting to know more about the book, in this case it did. But as much as I love the book, it doesn't make me want to get up at night and start reading, its not that interesting. This book like all of Clancy's others is a military sci-fi fiction book, and this is usually the only type of genre that I read, but I'm into thriller and mystery genre's as well. Those different types of genre's are my favorite because the stories usually have some sort of plot that they dont reveal alll at one time which persuades me to want to read more and find out what the big mystery is, I guess you could say I like to play detective while I read sometimes. All in all, this book has started off great and am sure that I will enjoy reading the rest of it.

message 15: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 5 comments The book that I am currently reading is "The Devil in Green" by Mark Chadbourn, whose books I have never read before. So far it's interesting, though it is a little depressing being based on a post-apocalypse world, where mythical creatures and some unheard of gods rule and live. It is not a book though, that I would wake up in the middle of the night to read.. The genre is fiction, maybe even science-fiction. I do typically read fiction, but I usually read paranormal romance fiction; but fiction nonetheless, because if a book doesn't leave much for the imagination I find that it doesn't hold my interest, though there are a couple exceptions.

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Barnes (asshh) | 6 comments I am reading the book " i can't tell you" by hillary frank. Unfortunatly i havnt read any of the authors books. So far its really ineresting and i love it. I can totally relate to the book and i love that it relates to teenagers. The genre is the same just typical teenage books.

message 17: by Eric (last edited Jan 24, 2011 06:00PM) (new)

Eric | 2 comments "Ender's Shadow" by Orson Scott Card was suggested to me by someone in the class. I have never read any books by this author, and there is a book he has written before "Ender's Shadow," my book sort of being a sequel. Even though it's a sequel, I didn't have to read the first book in order to know what is going on. So far it sounds like it takes place in either the present or the future. It sounds more like the future, because almost all the characters are children who have no parents, live on their on, and are starving. It focuses on a group who's main goal is to just survive. It changes when they beat up the lowest ranking "bully," who turns out later on to become the group's leader. He is a father, or even a god, to these children, but mostly a true leader. This realistic fiction book has really caught my attention, mostly because this genre is the typical kind of books I read. I will save the rest for later, but for now I am really enjoying the book.

message 18: by Roberto (new)

Roberto Villanueva | 2 comments I am currently reading "We beat the street" by Drs. Sampson Davis, George Jenkins, and Rameck Hunt with Sharon M. Draper. I have never read any book from these authors before. So far im liking my book because its about kids and tennagers and thats where we are now were, teenagers. I also like it because it relates to things we usually do. As i said before i like my book i wouldnt say i love it because im in the beginning of it so i guess i need to read more to say i love it. I wouldnt get up in the middle of the night just to read my book, it's not a book that I would wake up in the middle of the night to read.Im not preety sure what the genre is, this book isnt like some book i would typically read. Yeah this is something new for me but for now im really enjoying my book.

message 19: by Mpadua (new)

Mpadua | 4 comments im reading "Little Brother" by Cory Doctorow.i chose this book becuase it seems like i would relate to it becuase im an older brother myself. i have never read a book by this author before. i dont think any book would make me want to get up in the middle of the night and read. this book is fiction and i usually read fictionor science fiction

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading "Three Little Words" by Ashley Rhodes-Courter. I have not read from this author, ever. I'm liking the book because even this actually happened, theirs some drama. I love it at the moment and i probably will be interested in this book. Its a memoir, and dont ever really read memoirs, I stick with fiction books.

message 21: by Roger (new)

Roger Krupetsky | 3 comments I'm currently Reading Looking for Alaska by John Green. I;m actually re-reading the book, because I read it once in fourth grade. However, I didn't understand alot of the concepts when I was in fourth grade, so now that I'm re-reading it, it's alot deeper and engrossing than it was before. It's a really addicting book to read. Normally when I read, I read science fiction, or just plain fiction. This book is alot more realistic. The most addicting part of it is the fact that it's told from the perspective of a person that is my age. The entire plot of the book revolves around his interaction with people, and I can really relate to it, because like me, he's not exactly used to a really social environment. It really helps me connect with the character, because to some extent I can understand what he's going through.

message 22: by Gary (new)

Gary Straub | 1 comments I'm reading Glass by ellen hopkins. I've never read anything from this author in my life, so its completely new for me. I so far like the book. it gives me a whole new perspective on life to look on. i wouldn't say it makes me want to get up in the middle of the night to read, but it is the type of book that ill pick up on my own here and there(this isnt very common for me as some of you might know). the genre of this book is realistic fiction, something ive never hear of before so it should be very interesting to continue reading

message 23: by Rafael (last edited Jan 24, 2011 11:05PM) (new)

Rafael Solorio | 6 comments I am reading "Bodega Dreams" by Ernesto Quiñonez. I don't recall ever reading any of his books, but I look forward to reading this book. I am finding this book intersting because the characters seem very real for the way they are potrayed. It talks about how their their life is and what they want. From what I've read in the book so far, it catches my eye. It makes me want to read it when I have any available time. The genre of this book is fiction which I read from time to time.

message 24: by Brian (new)

Brian | 6 comments I am currently reading "Walk Two Moons" by Sharon Creech. This is the first book i've read by her but i doubt this is the last. So far, i am enjoying her style and pace of writing. This book is interesting to me because it deals with the life of a teenager which i can relate to. But at the same time, we lead two very different lives so it's cool see life through her perspective for a while. Though this book is pretty good, i will admit there are times where the books seems to drag and bore me. This book is nonfiction which is a genre i'm pretty familiar with. I usually like to read books about people and their lives so this is something i'm used to reading.

message 25: by Erin (new)

Tayanna wrote: "I am reading the book Give Up the Ghost by Megan Crewe. I haven't read anything from this author before, but I would like to look her up to find any other books she might have.I think the book has ..."

Is it a true story (non-fiction)? If not, it's probably fiction! Thanks, Tayanna! 10/10

message 26: by Erin (last edited Jan 25, 2011 02:50PM) (new)

Yazmin wrote: "At the moment i am reading The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides. u have never read a book by this author before ( for as long as i can remember). I am reading it because my cousin read it and s..."

Yazmin, this book sounds SO interesting! He has another book, Middlesex, that many of my students have loved. Be sure you use I not i next time! 9/10

message 27: by Erin (new)

Brenda wrote: "I am reading the book Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford. I have never read a book by this author before. So far this book is okay. I don't hate it or love it yet. This is not the best book that ..."

Brenda, I hope you're liking your book still. It sounds like it might be considered Drama/Fiction. 10/10

message 28: by Erin (new)

Geovanni wrote: "Erin wrote: "Hey Everybody! Welcome to our discussion group! I'm glad you found your way here and am excited to read your thoughts. Make sure you follow our groups' rules, posting about 250 word..."

Geovanni, Star Wars sounds interesting but make sure you get your new book soon! You'll have more to say next time I'm sure (a little short this time) -- 9/10

message 29: by Erin (new)

Raymond wrote: "Erin wrote: "Hey Everybody! Welcome to our discussion group! I'm glad you found your way here and am excited to read your thoughts. Make sure you follow our groups' rules, posting about 250 word..."

Raymond, I read this book with avid interest. It is indeed contemporary fiction, but an adventure story within that genre. Enjoy! 10/10

message 30: by Erin (new)

Eva wrote: "Erin wrote: "Hey Everybody! Welcome to our discussion group! I'm glad you found your way here and am excited to read your thoughts. Make sure you follow our groups' rules, posting about 250 word..."

Eva, what a great book! I read it a long time ago before I even became a teacher. The social commentary is striking. You might also enjoy "Our America," which Miguel Perez is reading. 10/10

message 31: by Erin (new)

Michael wrote: "I am about a fourth of the way through John Dies at the End. The book is an interesting genre, comedy/ horror, a combination that I have never read in the past. I am enjoying it more..."

Michael, I've never heard of comedy/horror. I suppose it's like the movie genre of "black comedy," which I love. I'll have to check out David Wong online. 10/10

message 32: by Erin (new)

Imani wrote: "I am currently reading Now Is The Time To Open Your Heart by Alice Walker the same author of The Color Purple which I have read and fell in love with. So far I like it not in love with it yet. But ..."

Imani, I loved The Color Purple, too but haven't read Walker's other books. You'll have to let me know if it captures your interest in the same way. 10/10

message 33: by Erin (new)

Jerald wrote: "The book that I am reading is "Pirates Latitudes" by Michale Crichton. I have never read this author before but I hear that he is a popular writer. I find this book very interesting and the adven..."

Jerald, Michael Crichton wrote some very interesting things. Are you a science fiction fan? I can recommend others, too. 10/10

message 34: by Erin (new)

Robert wrote: "I am reading The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. I have never read anything written by this author before. My book is very cool to read and is one of the few books that I read all school year..."

Robert, it's great to read a book you enjoy! How do you survive as a zombie? You'll have to fill me in! 10/10

message 35: by Erin (new)

Miyah wrote: "I am reading the book “It” by Stephen King. I’ve never read anything by this author, but I’ve heard a lot about him. This book was written quite a while ago, and for its age I have to say that it’s..."

Miyah, your book scared the living daylights out of me (when I saw the movie). I haven't read it, but know lots that have. I think if you keep at it, you'll be entranced. 10/10

message 36: by Erin (new)

Kody wrote: "I am reading "Zero Hour" by Tom clancy. He is pretty much the only author I read from consistantly and enjoy at the same time. His books always make me wonder about the truth in the real world and ..."

Kody, you might like the Steig Larsen books (The Girl with the Dragoon Tatoo is one). Have you read the Bourne Identity series? That's another good one. Lots of mysteries out there! 10/10

message 37: by Erin (new)

Morgan wrote: "The book that I am currently reading is "The Devil in Green" by Mark Chadbourn, whose books I have never read before. So far it's interesting, though it is a little depressing being based on a post..."

Morgan, ghosts in love -- is that what paranormal romance fiction is? Sounds imaginative indeed! Glad you're trying a new author! 10/10

message 38: by Erin (new)

Ashley wrote: "I am reading the book " i can't tell you" by hillary frank. Unfortunatly i havnt read any of the authors books. So far its really ineresting and i love it. I can totally relate to the book and i lo..."

Ashley, I've had a lot of students love this book and its unique style. I hope you do too. Be sure to write a little more next time. 9/10

message 39: by Erin (new)

Eric wrote: ""Ender's Shadow" by Orson Scott Card was suggested to me by someone in the class. I have never read any books by this author, and there is a book he has written before "Ender's Shadow," my book sor..."

Eric, I'm glad you like this book afterall. Maybe you'll read the trilogy? I'm also excited to see classmates helping each other out! 10/10

message 40: by Erin (new)

Roberto wrote: "I am currently reading "We beat the street" by Drs. Sampson Davis, George Jenkins, and Rameck Hunt with Sharon M. Draper. I have never read any book from these authors before. So far im liking my b..."

Roberto, I really like Sharon Draper, but I've never heard of this book before. Glad you're into it. Be sure to proofread carefully next time (e.g. use I, not i). 9/10

message 41: by Erin (new)

Mpadua wrote: "im reading "Little Brother" by Cory Doctorow.i chose this book becuase it seems like i would relate to it becuase im an older brother myself. i have never read a book by this author before. i dont ..."

Mark, picking a book you can relate to is always a good strategy. Be sure you proofread (I, not i) and write a little more next time. 9/10

message 42: by Erin (new)

Steve wrote: "I'm reading "Three Little Words" by Ashley Rhodes-Courter. I have not read from this author, ever. I'm liking the book because even this actually happened, theirs some drama. I love it at the momen..."

Steve, I'm so glad you're reading a memoir. I think they're great! Write a bit more next time, though 9/10

message 43: by Erin (new)

Roger wrote: "I'm currently Reading Looking for Alaska by John Green. I;m actually re-reading the book, because I read it once in fourth grade. However, I didn't understand alot of the concepts when I was in fou..."

Roger, I really like books that have a unique perspective, too. What is he looking for in Alaska, I wonder? Fill me in! 10/10

message 44: by Erin (new)

Gary wrote: "I'm reading Glass by ellen hopkins. I've never read anything from this author in my life, so its completely new for me. I so far like the book. it gives me a whole new perspective on life to look o..."

Gary, did you finish Glass? It looked like you had a new book today. If so, it must have been good. Be sure to proofread your posts. 9/10

message 45: by Erin (new)

Rafael wrote: "I am reading "Bodega Dreams" by Ernesto Quiñonez. I don't recall ever reading any of his books, but I look forward to reading this book. I am finding this book intersting because the characters see..."

Rafael, it sounds like you found an interesting book. I'd love to read the back cover when you have it in for SSR. 10/10

message 46: by Erin (new)

Brian wrote: "I am currently reading "Walk Two Moons" by Sharon Creech. This is the first book i've read by her but i doubt this is the last. So far, i am enjoying her style and pace of writing. This book is int..."

Brian, are you sure this is non-fiction? Is it a true story? I love Sharon Creech! 10/10