Urban Fantasy Group Danbury CT discussion

Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyn) | 16 comments Mod
Hi this is Cindy and this is my group. Feel free to stop in and introduce yourself.
Name
Book you are currently reading
What is your favorite UF book

message 2: by Amanda (last edited Jul 17, 2011 06:02PM) (new)

Amanda Carlson (amandacarlson) | 6 comments Thanks for the invite, Cindy! I'm in freezing cold Minneapolis. I'm reading the newest Faith Hunter, Mercy Blade. I really love Karen Chance & Ilona Andrews. Looking forward to trying Stacia Kane!

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments Thanks for the invite!

Currently reading: Unholy Magic and Emissary. Like both, but am in awe of Unholy Magic - the whole Downside series, really.

Love, love, love anything by Ilona Andrews. Getting into Meljean Brook, Stacia Kane, TA Pratt, NK Jemisin, Anne OSterlund, and whole bunches of others.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Kindle-aholic wrote: "Thanks for the invite!

Currently reading: Unholy Magic and Emissary. Like both, but am in awe of Unholy Magic - the whole Downside series, really.

Love, love, love anything by Ilona Andrews...."

Iam just about finished with unholy Ghosts and just loved it.I also just pickedup a Meljean Brook book for a group that is reading it for february.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Hey all! What do you think of the idea of us all picking a book to read and then scheduling a time to chat about it? Let me know and feel free to suggest some books and please tell your friends to join the group the more the merrier!

Cindy

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments I like the idea of discussing the same book. I'm good for just about anything - but library available would work best for me (trying to budget the Kindle books). :) What's a book everyone either wants to read or has recently read lately? Given what prolific readers we are, it might be hard to find something that no one has read. :D

Cindy - I know you have Iron Duke on your plate. I'm good for that. One of the Downside books would work too (maybe the first one?) We could change "genres" every month, do a UF, then a PNR, maybe throw in a good YA, and add a steampunk here and there.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Carlson (amandacarlson) | 6 comments I'm picking up the first Stacia Kane tomorrow!

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments Nice. Yes its dark, but it also kicks ass.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Carlson (amandacarlson) | 6 comments Well, I happen to loooove a little kick ass in my life!!

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments I know. :) I think you will like.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 20, 2011 09:59PM) (new)

Hi there! Thanks for inviting me, Cindy.

I'm currently reading The Hunger Games, or rather trying to, since it's pretty slow still. Just finished the so waited for, Shadowfever, and loved it! As for my favourite UF book, I have no idea. Series I have three: Shifters by Rachel Vincent, Fever by Karen Marie Moning and Night Huntress by Jeaniene Frost. In no specific order!

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments Rebecca, have you tried the Kate Daniels series or the Downside series?

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cummings (michellecu) | 65 comments Hi Everyone. I also just finished Shadowfever, loved the book but am in a definite funk about what to read next. I love UF the best, followed by PNR. I am just finishing up Meljean Brook's Guardian series, which I read after Iron Duke (which I loved - thanks to Kindle for telling me about it!). For anyone who hasn't read the Guardian series, start with book 3 and go forward. Once you finish you can read 1 and 2.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cummings (michellecu) | 65 comments Other authors that I really like are Ilona Andrews, Karen Chance, Richelle Mead and some of my newer faves are Nicole Peeler, Kalayna Price, Linda Robertson and Diana Rowland.

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cummings (michellecu) | 65 comments Have any of you read the Mortal Instruments Series? If so, how would you rate it?

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments I'm starting book 3 of the Guardians soon-ish. :) I think I almost lucked out that book 1 wasn't available on kindle last time I checked. I hadn't heard that the author suggested starting with book 3 until recently.

I read the Mortal Instruments (and I have Clockwork Angel on my shelf-o-books). I rated the first one 4 stars and the other two 3 stars - the why is kind of a spoiler, so I'll discuss if you want, but I have to put that out there. They were fun enough, and the pacing was good, I was just left thinking of all of the things I would have done differently.

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cummings (michellecu) | 65 comments Maybe I'll just keep Mortal Instruments on my to be read shelf for a while then!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Kindle-aholic wrote: "Rebecca, have you tried the Kate Daniels series or the Downside series?"

Do you mean the Downside Ghosts series? Because I've been planning to read that for some time, just haven't gotten to it yet. As for Kate Daniels, I tried the first one and I couldn't get into it at all, so I gave up on that one. Don't know if I'll go back either, I need by romance, and from what I've heard there isn't that much in it. :)

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments The romance is slow going in the Kate series - if you need romance, Andrews' Edge series has that in each book. I thought that the Kate series got better as it went on - book 2 was fantastic.

Yes, I meant Downside Ghosts - really like that one. There's definitely sex in book 1 of that series, but I think book 2 has more romance, but then I'm not quite finished with it yet. I picked the worst week to start that book. :)

If you like romance, have you tried Iron Duke?

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments Michelle wrote: "Maybe I'll just keep Mortal Instruments on my to be read shelf for a while then!"

These books are a little difficult for me - on the one hand, I enjoyed reading them, and will read the others when I can get them from the library, but I did have some issues with them that keeps them from being ones I recommend to everyone.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm... Maybe I'll give that one a try then. I'm not sure I can endure more of Kate. She just wasn't for me.

I've heard DG is really good! And even better with romance from the start! :) Iron Duke is another one I have one my to-read list and just haven't gotten to. Though I've heard great things about that one as well!

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cummings (michellecu) | 65 comments Rebecca-

I really liked Iron Duke. One of my favorites from last year.

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments Rebecca - it sounds like you're more of a romance fan, so maybe the Edge series would be more up your alley.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I sure am, though it's not until recently I've discovered it. And I have no problem with action filled books. :) I will definitely check it out!

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments The Edge feels like a cross between PNR and UF, for me - there's more romance than you'll usually see in a UF, there is a central couple, and its in 3rd person.

message 26: by Cindy (new)

I like that idea Kindle. I think we should start a list of books to read, vote on which to read, which ever gets the most reads will be our first book.

Here are my recommends:
1. Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane
2. Iron Duke book 1 by meljean brook

Please submit your books by January 28th and then we shall vote on our February read.

Cindy

PS I am having surgery in this Monday so I will be off line until I get home from the hospital.

Send in your book requests!

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments Good luck, Cindy! I'll be thinking of you!

I vote for the same:
Unholy Ghosts
Iron Duke

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cummings (michellecu) | 65 comments Good Luck Cindy. I have read both of those, and would be happy to re-read, so I can be fresh. Of the books that I have on my tbr I would vote for
Black Wings by Christina Henry
Poison Study by Maria Snyder
Bllod Shot by Cherie Priest

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments I have Black Wings and Blood SHot on my TBR list too (mostly thanks to Michelle's picks popping up to remind me). :)

I've read Poison Study, its a good one. Tends to get grouped with YA, but I can't really call it YA.

message 30: by delane (new)

delane (dc13) | 27 comments Much luck Cindy!!
Hello, I'm DeLane...and I'm a book addict.... :)
I work nights so I'll probably have a hard time actively getting in on many discussions...but I will sure love lurking at night and appling my snark to what ya'll posted!!
And I am alllll over Unholy Ghosts being one of the ones ya'll pick.
I'm actually ....gulp.....thinking about diving into those Darkfever books.....

message 31: by Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (last edited Jan 25, 2011 12:08AM) (new)

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments Now that the last one is out, you should. :) I still need to read Dreamfever and get on the list for Shadowfever.

message 32: by delane (new)

delane (dc13) | 27 comments I know, I know.....was kind of thinking about doing it when we go on vacation (from Texas to Arizona in a Suburban with 7 other people and I will HAVE to have headphones plugged in and something to read....)!

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cummings (michellecu) | 65 comments You definitely need to read the Fever series. I know some people do not care for first person, but that's never been a problem for me if the writing is good and it is. I had to re-read the first 4 so that I could remember what happened before I read Shadowfever, and I loved it again.

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments I honestly can say that POV - 1st, 3rd, multiple, whatever, is never on the list when I choose a book. So long as its well written, I'm good. (I did read a book once that went from 3rd to 1st then back again. Was weird)

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments Just finished City of Ghosts - will be recommending this series to everyone. Whew! It is good stuff. The nice part too is that while there is plenty to go on for more in the series, it also doesn't have a cliffhanger ending.

message 36: by delane (new)

delane (dc13) | 27 comments Yay! I knew you'd love them!
Amanda????? You're next Chica!
I honestly don't really pay much attention what POV there is either....to be completely honest, I'd probably have to really think about it if you asked me about something I had read, what it was!
I did read Darkfever quite a while back, but that's been the only one, so I'm just gonna start over!

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments So what was your favorite read in January? Least favorite?

My favorite was City of Ghosts - just really loved that one.

My least favorite was The Last Days - I loved Peeps, but this one had too many POVs, not enough action. I also disliked Virals - not interesting.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

My favourite was definitely Comfort Food. It was amazing! And Shadowfever probably. Least favourite I don't know... Hotter After Midnight I think. It wasn't really that capturing; not good, not bad, just okay.

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cummings (michellecu) | 65 comments My favorite was definitely Shadowfever and my least favorite definitely Archangel's Consort. But January was a good month for me. I also really liked Secrets of the Demon and Tempest's Legacy

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments I think I'm #50 on the list for Shadowfever. I need to read Secrets of the Demon too, and get caught up on the Jane True series.

February is looking really good for books, too!

message 41: by Cindy (new)

Hi all!

Sorry I have not been around but with surgery and an extra trip to the hospital with complications has been rough. My living arrangements are also very bad and stressful, so did not get much reading done this month. I have been reading three books, The Iron Duke, Unholy Ghosts and The Lost Gate. I think I will finish The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card before I go back to the others, it is really, really good!

Cindy

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments Hey Cindy! I've been thinking about you. Sorry to hear that things have not been good. Hope things are getting better for you.

message 43: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cummings (michellecu) | 65 comments Cindy- Just get better soon!

message 44: by delane (new)

delane (dc13) | 27 comments Cindy friend...HUGS! Sorry....I went through the whole bad living situation not to many years ago and adding that with complicated girly surgery sux!
I'm with ya on the not getting to read much thing though....work is trying to kill me I've decided...guess they figure if I just fade away on the job it'll save them having to pay me when I retire.... :)
Hope your oodles better this week!

message 45: by Cindy (new)

Ok guys! Made it through my first week of work back from surgery. Unfortunately i have not gotten any reading done at all. Basically came home from work, ate dinner went to bed. But i am finally starting to feel like my old self again (minus all the pain). So this weekend i hope to put a good dent in the book i am reading now The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card. I put aside Unholy Ghosts and The Iron Duke to finish it cause its that good! Then i will probably finish off Unholy Ghosts then Iron Duke. I also have to read Dreamfever and Shadowfever.

so there is my list! Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane The Lost Gate (Mithermages) by Orson Scott Card The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1) by Meljean Brook Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments Glad you are finally able to move around and start to get back to normal!

message 47: by delane (new)

delane (dc13) | 27 comments Good you're better Cindy!

message 48: by Cindy (new)

Well guys I have been in the hospital since last saturday. I get to go home again tomorrow. I will catch up with up with you tomorrow. Cindy

message 49: by delane (new)

delane (dc13) | 27 comments Oh Cindy! I'm so sorry you're still having so much trouble! Hope your weekend goes smooth and you get home and feeling better!

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments Cindy - hope this was the last bump and that you are feeling better.

« previous 1