The County Library discussion

In the News > Ebook Readers

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
Marsha asked me to post this great story:

All spring, summer and fall I noticed people walking and reading hardcopy magazines and books. This struck me as realtively new. Apparently it is an electronic trend as well:

http://www.megareader.net/megareader-...

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) | 64 comments Actually I have known several walker/readers. While I will do this in the safety of a park. I have know people who bravely walk town streets while reading books. Granted, they were not big towns. And I confess that I sometimes read while driving. Well when at stop lights.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jan wrote: "Actually I have known several walker/readers. While I will do this in the safety of a park. I have know people who bravely walk town streets while reading books. Granted, they were not big towns. A..."

Please- for the safety of everyone, embrace audiobooks! :-)

message 4: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (bookcrone) | 14 comments Actually I saw people walking and reading here in SLC on 21st South and other main streets. I agree it can't be very safe.

message 5: by JoAnn (new)

JoAnn (jladybug) | 133 comments Audiobooks aren't any more safe if one isn't willing to be aware of where they are walking. People with headphones on walk in front of moving TRAX trains with regularity because they just refuse to pay attention to their surroundings. Frequently, they never even look up to see if the train is moving, just walk in front of it as if it doesn't exist or that the moral duty of the operator to stop the train overrides the laws of physics. This is more common than people who are reading and walking from my own experience.

I do walk and read/listen regularly, and have done so for years. I do take the time to look up a lot. I am careful of where I am walking, never reading while crossing the street, near traffic or trains. I always stay behind the tack strip and yellow line at TRAX stations even when the train is on the platform at the end of line.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

JoAnn wrote: "Audiobooks aren't any more safe if one isn't willing to be aware of where they are walking. People with headphones on walk in front of moving TRAX trains with regularity because they just refuse to..."

That's great JoAnn- we'd hate to lose a patron!

message 7: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Hinkle (neutronflow) | 16 comments I would always read in the hallways between classes in high school. It is quite possible to quickly and almost imperceptibly alternate ones view between the page and ones surroundings. I never injured myself or anyone else and was quite capable of making very quick twists and turns to avoid obstacles of all sorts without losing the thread of narrative. It always seemed to surprise people that I was aware of them when they approached me. I would greet them by name, but I wouldn't look up.