The Time Traveler's Wife The Time Traveler's Wife discussion

Who else is upset that they are making a movie on the book?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jasmine Gregory So bascially a movie is being made based on the book.... Its going to S-U-C-K!! for these following reasons a) Rachel McAdams is playing claire who starred in such films as Mean Girls and The Notebook... might as well of had Lindsey Lohan
b) Eric Bana who played in the Hulk is playing Henry...... isnt Henry supposed to be very thin and lean? Why are they having some beefy guy play Henry?
c) apparently, the director that is directing the film is supposed to not be so great.

The characters are suposed to be quirky and nonconformists... at least Henry is....you watch this movie is going to turn into a typical hollywood dry conservative boring love affair... possibly a chick flick. I sure hope im wrong but i have a feeling that i am right. When i read this book, i was imagining Kate Winslet to play Claire and someone else to play Henry.. im not sure who... i was thinking that it should be kinda like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Movies ruin books for me. When i saw White Oleander I was HIGHLY upset!

message 2: by Carlton (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carlton Gotta agree about White Oleander. I remember how upset the BOOK made me feel. The movie was... very blah. TTW is going to be hard. I don't think they will make it very well. It will be nearly impossible to portray Henry correctly. Especially near the end, when things come to a head. It will be hard on an actor because so much of Henry is internal. Bana is going to have to dig deep to make it work. An Eric Bana (or a Billy Crudup) isn't a bad choice though. Rachel McAdams I am not so sure about. Claire is the easier acting job by far though.

message 3: by Sasha (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sasha Who would you rather have play Henry?

message 4: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachel I love Rachel McAdams, she's beautiful and is a very good actress. I think she will be good as Claire. I do like Kate Winslet and I think she would be really good as Claire also. The movie will never be able to be as good as the book no matter what they do.

message 5: by Saphy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saphy I have to agree I was SO disappointed when I heard they cast Eric B. as Henry. He does not look ANYTHING like Henry, and I don't think he's a very good actor either.

A younger Adrian Brody or John Cusack would have been good... I think the closest person I've ever seen to looking the way I imagined Henry is the lead singer of "The Killers".

I think Rachael McAdams is a good actress though, and I think she could do a good job with this role.

I'm feeling very dubious about the movie. I hope it turns out good, but I'm doubtful.

message 6: by Agata (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Agata I'm actually really looking forward to seeing the movie.

A movie will NEVER be as good as a book but it's always fun to see what they can or can't do.

message 7: by Kelly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly Kron This is one of my favorite love story books and I have no idea how they can shrink it down to even make the movie make sense. Rather it be done in a mini series. As for the actors--I loved Rachel in the Notebook and thought the movie was actually better than the book. Eric Bana-wasn't he also in Troy--or was that someone else. The author loses all input when they sell the option for the movie--So always read the book first.

message 8: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:00PM) (new)

Michelle Has anyone seen Journeyman yet?
An eerily similar series- that's on right now?

message 9: by Jess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess I'm terrified of what a movie will do to this book, and am tempted to get it in my head right now that I just won't see it. I do tend to think that Eric Bana is an excellent choice for Henry, however. He has the intensity to pull it off. I have no idea how they are going to pull off the time traveling without making it look silly, and I'm afraid that there won't be enough time to really get into the characters.

message 10: by Marthy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marthy I think nobody can fit this story into a 100minutes movie.
It's a great book because it was created to be a BOOK and I thing an adaptation will never do justice to the inner side of a character.

message 11: by Gene (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gene Cruz i think that Rachel McAdams is right for the role- although she might be too pretty. but as an actress, yeah she can pull it off. i loved her in the notebook. and, in the family stone, they uglied her up a bit, so i guess it's feasible. so as for eric bana, same comment- he might be too pretty. but he was pretty good in Troy, my heart went out to him more than to Brad (Achilles). i cant imagine the book being turned into a movie, with its complexities and subtleties. but to see Eric Bana in an adaptation of one of my fave books... yummy.

as with any adaptation, read the book first! let your imagination work for you, before the movie version dictates it for you.

message 12: by Dan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Anaconda "Listen Morty! I got a winner here. Are you ready? Picture this: 'The Notebook' meets 'Slaughterhouse 5'! We get that Austalian guy who never got through highschool..what's his name...'The Hulk'...to play Henry. What do you think?"

message 13: by Holly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Holly The film will NEVER do the book justice, and I think they'll have to cut a LOT out to make it fit in the time frame.

As for casting, I actually think Eric Bana will do well. For those who only know him as "The Hulk," I suggest you rent the film "Munich" in which he does an amazing acting job. I don't know enough about Rachel McAdams to have an opinion but I'll say this - the film option was originally sold, from what I've heard, to Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston, back when they were together, and I think the plan was for the two of them to play the lead roles. Now THAT would have been terrible.

I still don't know if I'll be able to make myself see the film though... or if I'll be able to stop myself.

message 14: by Dan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Anaconda I am sure many will be looking forward to the uncut version of the film when they show the auto-homo sexual relationship he has when he is 15.

message 15: by Lena (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena I'm going to wait for the reviews on this one. I'm not optimistic given the complexity of the structure, but you never know.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

To make sure a book isn't made into a movie, don't buy it, read it, or talk about it. Let's start ... NOW!

message 17: by Charissa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charissa ahh ha ha ha... Brendan, you're so damn funny. I heart you.

message 18: by Sharon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon I think this movie was brilliantly cast. Bana and McAdams are incredibly talented. I'm a little worried about the director, Robert Schwenktke (Flightplan?!?), and was much more excited when Gus Van Sant was attached, but I will reserve judgement.

This book was so special, it'll be hard NOT to be critical of anyone who tries to bring it to screen,

message 19: by Holly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Holly Ok, not to get nit-picky, but I just went over to IMDB and looked at the cast, and I have a few "hmmm's" :

Gomez = Ron Livingstone: I actually really like this actor, but he doesn't quite seem the part. And he's not blond.

Hailey McCann = Alba: Cute kid. But blonde. Alba had long dark hair like Henry. When Clare looks at Alba, she sees Henry in her. This kid looks NOTHING like Eric Bana.

Jane McLean = Charisse: This woman ain't curvy. Why do they always have to try to make everyone so perfect-looking?

Also, I hope they do Rachel McAdams's hair red - she looks great as a redhead, and Clare's hair is such a part of her character.

message 20: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah I am actually looking forward to the movie. Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana are good choices. Originally, there were talks that Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt were going to star in the movie, but that was before the big split....

Kristin Actually I read on the authors website that she pictured Adrian Brody as Henry. I agree that Eric Bana is a bad choice.

message 22: by Bean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bean oh sorry, i didn't see this before making my post. i a new to Good Reads. i agree with you so much! White Oleander is the first thing i thought of too! And indeed, Gondry would be a great director if a film is to be made.
i wasn't imagining Kate Winslet, but then, i wasn't really imagining any particular actor/actress for any roles, just people that came together in my imagination.

Norman Book I didn't like -> -> crap movie?

Book I didn't like -> -> good movie?

I once watched an excellent French movie called L'Appartement. While its premise was quite different from that of The Time Traveller's Wife, I wonder if I would have liked a novel of the same story. It used flashbacks, repeated sequences from different points of view, cases of mistaken identity...that worked so well on screen. I don't know if the story was based on a novel, but I wonder whether I would have enjoyed the same type of story in print.

Could The Time Traveller's Wife be more enjoyable (for some of us) on screen than it was (for some of us) on the written page?

message 24: by Dick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dick Of course watching the movie doesn't give one the same experience as reading the book. In terms of time invested, and words, and plot lines, movies can't compete with books. I've decided that it's best to see each as a creation of its own. Sometimes the movie doesn't "follow" the book and sometimes it even goes in a different direction. Still, sometimes the movie is great despite of or because of its differences. Comparisons, as usual, necessarily encourage undue criticism. I loved the book and I'm looking forward to the movie.

I do think, as a rule, it's best to read the book first.

message 25: by Bean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bean Dick - to an extent i do agree with you. For example, i looked at Kneller's Happy Campers vs. Pizzeria Kamikaze vs. Wristcutters as creations of their own and as related works, and decided i liked all of them for each their differences and similarities.

message 26: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Billy Crudup, I have seen him act on broadway and he is amazing... also James MacAvoy looks like what I have imagined Henry to look like.

message 27: by Bean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bean James MacAvoy, oh my god, you are so right!

Kaydean I absolutely agree. Some books are so complex it is a shame to try to cram them into a few minutes on screen. I loved this book and am so afraid they will make a terrible mess of it, I think I will wait for reviews before I even consider going.

Kaydean Since when is someone curvy not "perfect-looking"? I am with you on this one. I am tired of seeing anorexic woman in the movies. We curvy girls have love interests, too!!